Defense

slugboy

Staff member
I guess this thread is as good as any to say, dadgum: tOSU, OK; ND,georgie; CU, Aubie; how come they get defenses?

FSU was in the news before the kickoff game because they pressured a professor to pass a player in "Coffee Appreciation" (title may be slightly off) from their hospitality school. Brian Urlacher at tOSU padded his schedule with "AIDS awareness". I could go on...
Stanford and Vandy are better comparisons. And they do have good defenses.
Coaching is part of it. Our defensive backfield was better coached in the Tenuta days (Brian Billick at the Ravens raved about how they were NFL ready). But, they looked better yesterday than on Monday.
The defense also looked more aggressive on Saturday than on Monday. Funny, they started more aggressive on Monday and backed off; on Saturday they started vanilla and then got more aggressive; results were much better on Saturday.
CU tackles really well. Our defense would improve dramatically if we did. That's something we can work on.
Recruiting looks like it's improving. I have a lot of hope for our underclassmen.
We haven't had stability on defensive coaching like CU or some other schools. We have had drastic scheme switches when we change coordinators.
Also, our defensive coordinators have done better elsewhere. I think they've ALL done better at other schools.
Finally, since Ross, how many times have we been top 30 in defense? Maybe it's not all on the D.C.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
FSU was in the news before the kickoff game because they pressured a professor to pass a player in "Coffee Appreciation" (title may be slightly off) from their hospitality school. Brian Urlacher at tOSU padded his schedule with "AIDS awareness". I could go on...
Coaching is part of it. Our defensive backfield was better coached in the Tenuta days (Brian Billick at the Ravens raved about how they were NFL ready). But, they looked better yesterday than on Monday.
The defense also looked more aggressive on Saturday than on Monday. Funny, they started more aggressive on Monday and backed off; on Saturday they started vanilla and then got more aggressive; results were much better on Saturday.
CU tackles really well. Our defense would improve dramatically if we did. That's something we can work on.
Recruiting looks like it's improving. I have a lot of hope for our underclassmen.
We haven't had stability on defensive coaching like CU or some other schools. We have had drastic scheme switches when we change coordinators.
Also, our defensive coordinators have done better elsewhere. I think they've ALL done better at other schools.
Finally, since Ross, how many times have we been top 30 in defense? Maybe it's not all on the D.C.

Brian Urlacher played at the University of New Mexico, not Ohio State

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I can't get excited by playing well even a good FBS school.We just don't have a very big or fast DEF players nor particularly natural reactors.(see Griffin take wrong angle on that UT 50 ydTD).Add in schemes that are marginally effective and you have a questionable def.Lets see vs CFla what they can do.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I can't get excited by playing well even a good FBS school.We just don't have a very big or fast DEF players nor particularly natural reactors.(see Griffin take wrong angle on that UT 50 ydTD).Add in schemes that are marginally effective and you have a questionable def.Lets see vs CFla what they can do.
Stop this. I am the board skeptic.

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
I have a question for all you technical defense guys - the pass interference call on Lance Austin in the game vs JSU...what exactly was his crime? He appeared to be in position to catch the ball, had his head turned toward it, and even batted it down. I tried watching the replay several times and couldn't see that there was pushing and shoving that would warrant that flag. It wasn't THAT big of a deal (especially since we won), but it bothered me because I don't remember either Lance or Lawrence getting a flag in the past 3 years and hated to see that record (which may only be in my head) tarnished. And, I'm always interested in why calls are made - it helps me understand the game better.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I have a question for all you technical defense guys - the pass interference call on Lance Austin in the game vs JSU...what exactly was his crime? He appeared to be in position to catch the ball, had his head turned toward it, and even batted it down. I tried watching the replay several times and couldn't see that there was pushing and shoving that would warrant that flag. It wasn't THAT big of a deal (especially since we won), but it bothered me because I don't remember either Lance or Lawrence getting a flag in the past 3 years and hated to see that record (which may only be in my head) tarnished. And, I'm always interested in why calls are made - it helps me understand the game better.
I couldn't see a justification live and haven't watched film.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
What point of the game did this happen?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
5:45 left in Third Qtr - 3rd and 5 to go, resulted in the drive being kept alive and a FG. Again, not a big deal, but I was curious what you guys thought.
It didn't really show a good angle. They looked to both be hand checking each other, but Austin might have hooked the WR's arm (couldn't tell from the angle) when he knocked the ball down. You can not impede the WR's path to the ball, but you have equal rights to the ball as a defender so as long as you get your head turned and try to make a play on the ball you are fine. If he wouldn't have made a play on the ball and didn't turn his head I would definitely say PI because he would have impeded the WR's path back to the ball (the pass has to be catchable of course)

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

I really like this post!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Radio show
Coach says the defense coaches did a good job putting a more agressive defensive plan THAT INCLUDED MORE BLITZES AND STUNTS.

Later he said a We need less read and react - more there i s the guy with the ball --go get him. Our guys are agressive and that's how we need to play.