Defense

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Don't know how you keep #89 Antwan Owens off the field. He's 20 pounds heavier, stronger and quicker than any of the other DEs we have.
He's bigger but I highly doubt he's faster than Simmons and possibly saint amour and I highly doubt he's stronger than any of the top 3. It's also doesn't mean he's as good with assignments.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
He's bigger but I highly doubt he's faster than Simmons and possibly saint amour and I highly doubt he's stronger than any of the top 3. It's also doesn't mean he's as good with assignments.
Didn't say he was 'faster'. I said quicker. He's sudden in tight space if you saw that sack. He was on the QB before he could react. Don't judge him by his body type. He's got more fast twitch than Simmons IMO. Simmons is lean and fast and has a non-stop motor, but he gets ducked when he has a head of steam at somebody too often. As far as keeping assignments, I don't want to get too negative calling out players' names, but have you been watching us get gashed by the screen and the run?

Last edited:

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Didn't say he was 'faster'. I said quicker. He's sudden in tight space if you saw that sack. He was on the QB before he could react. Don't judge him by his body type. He's got more fast twitch than Simmons IMO. Simmons is lean and fast and has a non-stop motor, but he gets ducked when he has a head of steam at somebody too often. As far as keeping assignments, I don't want to get too negative calling out players' names, but have you been watching us get gashed by the screen and the run?
My bad, I still haven't seen enough to say quicker off one play. Also stronger is something I doubt. And yes I've seen guys with missed assignments, that doesn't mean he would be better at assignments though. I just need to see more of him to make an assessment. JMO.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I guess this thread is as good as any to say, dadgum: tOSU, OK; ND,georgie; CU, Aubie; how come they get defenses?

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Coach said he's a DE

Today late in the game Vernon played RDE and Merriweather played LDE and Owens was at RDT. That was the series when we got the 3 sacks, Owns, and Roof (2). I did not see him play earlier. He did look good and could probably play either position but this year we need more help at DT. A few weeks ago there was an article about Owens and it was reported that he was practicing to play inside.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Today late in the game Vernon played RDE and Merriweather played LDE and Owens was at RDT. That was the series when we got the 3 sacks, Owns, and Roof (2). I did not see him play earlier. He did look good and could probably play either position but this year we need more help at DT. A few weeks ago there was an article about Owens and it was reported that he was practicing to play inside.
I think it might have been because it was a passing down and they were trying to get someone with size but rushing ability inside. Only time will tell.