Defense

alagold

Helluva Engineer
There was article in Ala on the Tenn QB in the game.It said he led Tenn to 5 for 5 TD chances in run to the end. Is that true? wow
When Green fumbled, it was only like a punt to DEEP into UT territory.Why did DEF not stop them then. No depth or No heart, no fire, no direction.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
My rule of thumb has been it's on the O unless 35 points were scored. Some study a while back showed that 30 points or so was the lowest score a 50% win probability occurred from games

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
My rule of thumb has been it's on the O unless 35 points were scored. Some study a while back showed that 30 points or so was the lowest score a 50% win probability occurred from games
I would hope that with the lopsided time of possession in our favor, it would be way lower than that.

That said I hope the defense of 1 st half shows up for whole game.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

You realize that that's with more possessions in a game than the 11 TN had, right?

slugboy

Staff member
It looks like there are two different conversations happening in this thread. (1) Is the defense better/why isn't the defense better and (2) the defense cost us the Tennessee game.
For (2), how do you portion out responsibilities? You could count out the mistakes on offense, special teams, and defense. If you do that, offense might actually get a bigger share, because they had more plays, so they had more opportunities for mistakes. There are the obvious two fumbles, and the downfield block in the back, but there are also a couple of missed reads, missed blocks, dropped passes, etc. that underrates how bad our kicking game was, both on kickoffs and 0/2 on makeable field goals. On defense, we can find bad tackling, bad first steps, lining up too far back or aligned wrong, not turning around for an interception and getting a penalty instead. I can also see a ton of good hits and tackles in the first half.
One thing I've seen over the past decade is we take a timeout to prevent mistakes on offense, but almost never on defense. We should be able to see we're set up wrong on defense and correct that, but when do we? I think that's on CPJ.
If I was going to split up responsibility for losing , I'd say 30% offense, 35% special teams, and 35% defense. If I watched again, I could probably bump it towards any phase depending on what yardstick I chose. And if I added coaching in, I could question coaching decisions by any of them.
For (1), think IBeeBallin's film breakdown is a better place to see what needs to improve on the defense. Yo can see we have enough talent to play, but we make mad tackles, line up out of position, take some bad angles, and play soft coverages sometimes. We are getting penetration, but we had some plays that should have gone for losses or nothing that went for medium to large gains. There's potential, even if we just improve our tackling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

alagold

Helluva Engineer
It looks like there are two different conversations happening in this thread. (1) Is the defense better/why isn't the defense better and (2) the defense cost us the Tennessee game.
For (2), how do you portion out responsibilities? You could count out the mistakes on offense, special teams, and defense. If you do that, offense might actually get a bigger share, because they had more plays, so they had more opportunities for mistakes. There are the obvious two fumbles, and the downfield block in the back, but there are also a couple of missed reads, missed blocks, dropped passes, etc. that underrates how bad our kicking game was, both on kickoffs and 0/2 on makeable field goals. On defense, we can find bad tackling, bad first steps, lining up too far back or aligned wrong, not turning around for an interception and getting a penalty instead. I can also see a ton of good hits and tackles in the first half.
One thing I've seen over the past decade is we take a timeout to prevent mistakes on offense, but almost never on defense. We should be able to see we're set up wrong on defense and correct that, but when do we? I think that's on CPJ.
If I was going to split up responsibility for losing , I'd say 30% offense, 35% special teams, and 35% defense. If I watched again, I could probably bump it towards any phase depending on what yardstick I chose. And if I added coaching in, I could question coaching decisions by any of them.
For (1), think IBeeBallin's film breakdown is a better place to see what needs to improve on the defense. Yo can see we have enough talent to play, but we make mad tackles, line up out of position, take some bad angles, and play soft coverages sometimes. We are getting penetration, but we had some plays that should have gone for losses or nothing that went for medium to large gains. There's potential, even if we just improve our tackling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

good analysis
based on the # of plays and results in those plays,--STs were terrible, def -fair, Off --good, it seems

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
Glad to see discussion about the D @Jmonty71 since that 1/3 of the game will probably determine 2/3 of our wins/losses. But with the lack of information, well, no news means no news.

About 113 teams outperformed our DL last year. I think we don't recruit well, especially on the DL, but I think we recruit about 60th........... so there is a gap .......

As I said before "I think our D will be rated 75th by FEI*, 59th by S&P** and our D Line*** 93rd. That's the average over the last three years. Till we are better, I won't expect anything better." https://gtswarm.com/threads/official-ted-roof-discussion-thread.12642/page-13#post-328051
It's sad how we try so hard but continue to... struggle, struggle, struggle...

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Don't know how you keep #89 Antwan Owens off the field. He's 20 pounds heavier, stronger and quicker than any of the other DEs we have.