Defense

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
3rd and long. Here comes the ol' rush 3 and drop 8. :)
After 2 downs of aggressive d:
1. There's 3 and 8 with de dropping in coverage and S creep up and blitz with man coverage on w r long and everyone else sitting on pass lanes looking for tip / interception.
Or
2. 3 and 8 with most defenders backing up 5 yds past first down.
(Unless we are playing a team w great r b I hope it's 2. )

Until I see us revert to read react (90%), I will believe Jax state is when we changed to r r <50%. We are just not good enough to NOT CAMOUFLAGE THE DEFENSE WE ARE PLAYING.

slugboy

Staff member
1. There's 3 and 8 with de dropping in coverage and S creep up and blitz with man coverage on w r long and everyone else sitting on pass lanes looking for tip / interception.
Or

Until I see us revert to read react (90%), I will believe Jax state is when we changed to r r <50%. We are just not good enough to NOT CAMOUFLAGE THE DEFENSE WE ARE PLAYING.
In the first half of the Tennessee game, we were doing that, and the TV crew was gushing about how we could bring so much pressure with just 3-4 players. It just wasn't as effective in the second half.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Tennessee adjusted. We did exactly what we'd been doing, and didn't adjust.
We have a winner
BINGO. ! MILWAUKEE!!

They did go to less dink and dump and a little longer pass to the tough to tackle in space r backs .

In o t even longer pass??
Need to check ( only a few plays)

Jmonty71

Banned
Or

BINGO... We show the blitz.. Like I said... Stevie Wonder could see us blitzing.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Not interference
Not even close. Defensive backs have the toughest jobs in college football (well except maybe for offensive linemen but I digress) They are generally under 6' going up against 6'2 or more wide receivers who are usually bigger, faster, stronger, and can track the ball better. On top of that, they have to contend with flag happy referees that are bound and determined to give every advantage to the offense. No wonder so many of them seem to have such a nasty attitude. I know I did back in the day.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
I just re-watched the Tennessee game, and I really felt our defense played well enough to win the game.

Tennessee basically stole the game by (1) not turning the ball over/not committing penalties, (2) capitalizing on two fumbles which are huge in a limited possession game, (3) two missed GT FG's, (4) Our failure to execute properly on the two-point conversion.

If they turn the ball even one time, or we fumble one less time, or we make just one of our two FG's, or we pitch the ball on the failed 2-pt conversion, then the game is ours and nobody is talks about the defense. We outgained their arses by a wide margin, we just left points off the board via the two fumbles and two missed FGs.

People say we quit being aggressive but that's not what I saw. TN's best play was the screen pass which is expressly designed to take advantage of defenses that are being aggressive. The defense was not lights out, but it did stop TN several times in a game we should have won. Unfortunately we stopped ourselves 4 times via fumbles and missed FGs.

During our last drive I was very nervous seeing Taquon cut back inside and not carry with two hands on the ball given the situation. The only way they were stopping us at that point was via turnover. Then JJ did the same thing, and the ball got punched out. I have a hard time faulting those guys given their effort in the whole game, but the ball security needs to be better late in the game when the other team clearly can't stop you any other way.

Jmonty71

Banned
Not even close. Defensive backs have the toughest jobs in college football (well except maybe for offensive linemen but I digress) They are generally under 6' going up against 6'2 or more wide receivers who are usually bigger, faster, stronger, and can track the ball better. On top of that, they have to contend with flag happy referees that are bound and determined to give every advantage to the offense. No wonder so many of them seem to have such a nasty attitude. I know I did back in the day.
LOL. I played CB for my high school. I was the kid nobody wanted to go against, because I made chip shots and hit whenever and wherever I could. I often played on the WRs mentality. Maybe it tha
I just re-watched the Tennessee game, and I really felt our defense played well enough to win the game.

Tennessee basically stole the game by (1) not turning the ball over/not committing penalties, (2) capitalizing on two fumbles which are huge in a limited possession game, (3) two missed GT FG's, (4) Our failure to execute properly on the two-point conversion.

If they turn the ball even one time, or we fumble one less time, or we make just one of our two FG's, or we pitch the ball on the failed 2-pt conversion, then the game is ours and nobody is talks about the defense. We outgained their arses by a wide margin, we just left points off the board via the two fumbles and two missed FGs.

People say we quit being aggressive but that's not what I saw. TN's best play was the screen pass which is expressly designed to take advantage of defenses that are being aggressive. The defense was not lights out, but it did stop TN several times in a game we should have won. Unfortunately we stopped ourselves 4 times via fumbles and missed FGs.

During our last drive I was very nervous seeing Taquon cut back inside and not carry with two hands on the ball given the situation. The only way they were stopping us at that point was via turnover. Then JJ did the same thing, and the ball got punched out. I have a hard time faulting those guys given their effort in the whole game, but the ball security needs to be better late in the game when the other team clearly can't stop you any other way.
Outside, looking in. I've been told by many of fan bases, that if we had a half way decent D, we'd be unbeatable. Also, even staff writers have discussed many times how bad our D is. So, I don't share the same thoughts. Last year ranked 94th. Have yet to break the top 50 in the last 5 years.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
LOL. I played CB for my high school. I was the kid nobody wanted to go against, because I made chip shots and hit whenever and wherever I could. I often played on the WRs mentality. Maybe it tha

Outside, looking in. I've been told by many of fan bases, that if we had a half way decent D, we'd be unbeatable. Also, even staff writers have discussed many times how bad our D is. So, I don't share the same thoughts. Last year ranked 94th. Have yet to break the top 50 in the last 5 years.
In 2014 our defense was bad at slowing teams down, but FANTASTIC in generating turnovers (which was really the key to our great season...how does that season go if we let GSU finish their last drive?). In 2015 I felt our defense played better than 2014, but were hampered by lack of forcing turnovers and our offense getting stuck in the mud. If you had combined our 2015 defense with a more effective offense, the stats would have looked much better.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

You forgot the 5th issue, also related to kicking. The poor kickoffs were continually giving UT short fields.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
19 three and outs on 28 possessions. Hell yes.

I thought this week would be very eye opening as the the legitimacy of those numbers as we finally play a good O. Then I checked the stats. The UNC O of today is not the UNC O of the recent past.

Miami on the other hand....

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
The scheme hasn't changed. We have recruited better players the last three years who have some experience now. Hopefully we'll continue to see results. We are still very very thin across the board.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I thought this week would be very eye opening as the the legitimacy of those numbers as we finally play a good O. Then I checked the stats. The UNC O of today is not the UNC O of the recent past.

Miami on the other hand....
...has played Bethune Cookman (FCS #113 in yards/game, #84 in points/game) and Toledo (FBS #96 in yards/game, #108 in points/game). They may have a good offense, but they haven't played anybody worth a damn so the stats don't really prove anything. Even their FCS opponent was a really bad FCS defense.

Milwaukee

Banned
...has played Bethune Cookman (FCS #113 in yards/game, #84 in points/game) and Toledo (FBS #96 in yards/game, #108 in points/game). They may have a good offense, but they haven't played anybody worth a damn so the stats don't really prove anything. Even their FCS opponent was a really bad FCS defense.

I wish you would change your name so I could take you seriously. ;)

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
So their stat rep on O = our stat rep on D?