Defense

Jmonty71

Banned
19 three and outs on 28 possessions. Hell yes.

Looks good. But on the other hand... The D has not been fully tested, yet. I think UNC will be the first big test, of the year. UT had their way with us, in one half and we shut them down, in the other. JSU, meh... Pitt...even more meh.... Still not sure what to make of the defense. Although, they do look more promising, than they have in years.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Looks good. But on the other hand... The D has not been fully tested, yet. I think UNC will be the first big test, of the year. UT had their way with us, in one half and we shut them down, in the other. JSU, meh... Pitt...even more meh.... Still not sure what to make of the defense. Although, they do look more promising, than they have in years.

It's pretty obvious improvement even if against "weak" competition.

Milwaukee

Banned
For those pointing to limited competition and sample size this year as not indicating that our defense has improved, here is something to chew on:

In 2016, our defense forced 24 3 and outs all season.

giphy (41).gif

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
So their stat rep on O = our stat rep on D?
I'm just saying don't get scared by them, because they have not been tested at all. That Bethune Cookman win (41-13) loses a little luster when you realize they also got beat 45-0 by FAU a couple weeks later. Again, that's a BAD FCS team. Their stats and performance will normalize as the games go on, culminating in getting their $hit pushed in when we roll into Miami.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
In past we did not play aggressive until end of game. Then it was more of a not so passive.
Now
By playing aggressive early in year against lessor teams we learn to play fast.

I hope this carries over to our play against better teams.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Good read on Saint

Want to be a football player? Do what Saint does. Lift, run, lift some more. Constant, consistent improvement like he has accomplished and you will be a force to be reckoned with as well. Very happy for this young man and have noticed that he and his cohorts at end have played very well.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
For those pointing to limited competition and sample size this year as not indicating that our defense has improved, here is something to chew on:

In 2016, our defense forced 24 3 and outs all season.
To be honest I did not think it was that high.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The scheme hasn't changed. We have recruited better players the last three years who have some experience now. Hopefully we'll continue to see results. We are still very very thin across the board.

C'mon ... CPH has said in almost every interview the last couple of weeks, and more than once is some, that we are playing more aggressively, running more stunts and bringing in more db blitzes. That's a change in what we're doing. He's even talked about our kids being better at that then at read and react to highlight the change.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
C'mon ... CPH has said in almost every interview the last couple of weeks, and more than once is some, that we are playing more aggressively, running more stunts and bringing in more db blitzes. That's a change in what we're doing. He's even talked about our kids being better at that then at read and react to highlight the change.
We're doing what we have player's to do. There hasn't been any appreciable change in scheme or any huge amount of blitzing or stunting. It's merely a function of doing things that our players are capable of doing.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
We're doing what we have player's to do. There hasn't been any appreciable change in scheme or any huge amount of blitzing or stunting. It's merely a function of doing things that our players are capable of doing.
We had a lot of the same players last year..... also if this is the case why didn't we play that way against UT? It didn't happen until Jax State, if we had the players to play this way why weren't we until the head man had to say something about it? There's just not a ton of consistency with your argument imo. I know we all have opinions, but it seems some are over looking things because they like Roof. Sometimes you have to look past that and see if you would feel the same way with someone else. I will say the scheme hasn't really changed, but the play calling has changed and I give Ted props for getting a game plan together and calling a game for that plan. But imo it's not because we are getting better players, it's because the head man said do this and it has worked. I still wish we would get a little more exotic with our blitzes at least. Like I said though, Roof has done a good job and getting a game plan together and calling plays for that plan.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
We had a lot of the same players last year..... also if this is the case why didn't we play that way against UT? It didn't happen until Jax State, if we had the players to play this way why weren't we until the head man had to say something about it? There's just not a ton of consistency with your argument imo. I know we all have opinions, but it seems some are over looking things because they like Roof. Sometimes you have to look past that and see if you would feel the same way with someone else. I will say the scheme hasn't really changed, but the play calling has changed and I give Ted props for getting a game plan together and calling a game for that plan. But imo it's not because we are getting better players, it's because the head man said do this and it has worked. I still wish we would get a little more exotic with our blitzes at least. Like I said though, Roof has done a good job and getting a game plan together and calling plays for that plan.

Fwiw. I'm still not convinced that the R in PBR doesn't stand for Roof.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

Nope, but just in the reality of it all. Everybody thinks it's brain surgery. It's not. We've competed so far because our players are playing better. No hocus pocus just better play. Will it continue? I hope.
So play calling has nothing to do with it? Even though coach has said they changed things? You're right, it's not brain surgery. The team has changed things on D and it's showing. Has tackling etc gotten better? Of course, but that doesn't take away that the D has changed things they have been doing.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

Lol. Dude. Give it up. Paul asked for changes on how we play D and give credit to roof for adapting. We are running FAR less quarters than the prior years and many more x stunts and blitzes off de and tackle combos. We rarely ran that prior. We still dont do much zone dogs but at least our stunt and blitz combos make sense.

Those are small scheme changes we have been asking for. The players haven't changed dude. We are calling more aggressive plays, lining up tighter in spots, mixing in more 3 deep with man disguise; and better stunt blitz combos. We are gap shooting vs read and react. Those are changes

Last edited:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Nope, but just in the reality of it all. Everybody thinks it's brain surgery. It's not. We've competed so far because our players are playing better. No hocus pocus just better play. Will it continue? I hope.
Sorry, I used to drink my share of pabst blue ribbon. I suggest 549 seems to be a little too much.
Try to accept the good. Roof has gotten more talent.
Coach has directed him to be more aggressive.
After 15 coach said he would fix it. Just listen to his last interviews. The end of its 3 rd and 10 so we use a prevent 30yd pass defense has occured.
ENJOY THE CHANGE.