Dec 2

Deleted member 2897

Cool. Maybe we can hang a banner that says, “we lost to three teams that made the playoff!”

Kidding aside, I get what you’re saying, but it doesn’t make it better. I also don’t like these arguments because we are part of the reason these teams have such good records. Us blowing the Virginia and Tennessee games inflates their records. Miami too...would they be ranked 7th if we win? Probably not.

This has just been an incredibly disappointing season to this point. Gotta be better than this. But I mean, there are still three games left. If we finished at 7-4 with wins over VT and uGA I think I’d be relatively satisfied given the circumstances. I just don’t have a ton of confidence that we can do that at this point.

With the paltry level of resources we invest in our football team, if you ever expect to beat a Clemson, Miami, Georgia or any of those teams that spend literally double what we do, you are in for a life of high stress and high disappointment.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
With the paltry level of resources we invest in our football team, if you ever expect to beat a Clemson, Miami, Georgia or any of those teams that spend literally double what we do, you are in for a life of high stress and high disappointment.

Sure, we should tailor our expectations. How about this...I expect to win most games where we have the lead with less than 3 minutes to play. That is not an unreasonable expectation.

Deleted member 2897

Sure, we should tailor our expectations. How about this...I expect to win most games where we have the lead with less than 3 minutes to play. That is not an unreasonable expectation.

Now that is just crazy talk! :poop:

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Aaaanyway, has anyone heard if there's been progress on scheduling this 12th game?? I was just checking the APR rankings in case (God forbid) we end up with only 5 wins, and GT might not make the cut! The past two years the bowls have had to take 2-4 teams with fewer than 6 wins, and right now Tech appears to be about 5th amongst the "bubble teams". Bring on Florida, Houston, Chattanooga, whatever it takes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Aaaanyway, has anyone heard if there's been progress on scheduling this 12th game?? I was just checking the APR rankings in case (God forbid) we end up with only 5 wins, and GT might not make the cut! The past two years the bowls have had to take 2-4 teams with fewer than 6 wins, and right now Tech appears to be about 5th amongst the "bubble teams". Bring on Florida, Houston, Chattanooga, whatever it takes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
5th by what measure? I thought the selection process below 6 wins was all about APR, where we are pretty good.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
APR rankings 2015-2016 (FBS)
Northwestern University b
U.S. Air Force Academy (1)
University of Michigan b
Duke University (2)
University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (3)
Vanderbilt University (4)
U.S. Naval Academy b
University of Wisconsin b
University of Louisville (5)
Stanford University b
Rice University x
University of Central Florida b
University of Illinois x
University of Maryland, x?
University of Washington b
Georgia Institute of Technology (6)

Can you believe Louisville is ranked higher than us? Smh
Btw Pitt choked really bad last night vs UNC.

So yeah we might really NEED this 12th game to ensure 6 wins and a bowl invite.

Last edited:

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
literally no negative PR comes with it

I'll have to disagree ... there will be the media conversation of how this P5 team with a losing record goes to a bowl over a more deserving team with a better record.
Or if there are not enough teams to go around the conversation will be about too many bowl games and mention GT going to a bowl with a losing record ... for the 2nd time.
I don't think being mentioned in either of these conversations is good PR, especially for the top recruits that don't want to play in the Toilet Bowl ...

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
And in most years we do just that. Anomalies happen.

Maybe. It feels like it's been trending towards us blowing games a lot over the last 5 or 6 years. Several notable ones come to mind...

If I spent the time I could go back and figure out how many times we've done this vs. how many times we've gone down and one in the opposite scenario, but I'm just not that motivated.

The thing that frustrates me more is that in every loss but Clemson I feel like we easily could have won the game by two or more scores, but ended up losing. You could argue whether it's coaching, players, or both (and we have...a lot), but bottom line is it's a very disturbing problem to have.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I'll have to disagree ... there will be the media conversation of how this P5 team with a losing record goes to a bowl over a more deserving team with a better record.
Or if there are not enough teams to go around the conversation will be about too many bowl games and mention GT going to a bowl with a losing record ... for the 2nd time.
I don't think being mentioned in either of these conversations is good PR, especially for the top recruits that don't want to play in the Toilet Bowl ...
thats negative PR for the bowls and the way they are set up. I've never seen anyone actually be negative at a school for accepting a bowl invite.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
We have 3 games left (one of which is the most important thing the whole damn school does!) and people are worried about a meaningless 12th game against a probably meaningless opponent to get to a probably meaningless bowl game. That most GT fans will not support.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
We have 3 games left (one of which is the most important thing the whole damn school does!) and people are worried about a meaningless 12th game against a probably meaningless opponent to get to a probably meaningless bowl game. That most GT fans will not support.

Nobody's discounting the importance of COFH. We all want to win that one badly, especially this year at BDS!
But come on man you could say EVERY bowl is meaningless besides the playoffs. Why be all miserable about it? Not gonna lie I just want to see our team in a bowl game, even if it's the Detroit or Bahamas Bowl in front of 9,000 I don't care.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
If we make it to a bowl with 5 wins it is because there are no more 6-win teams to go in. Can you name any of the 5-win teams that have gone in recently? I sure can't, and I follow college football very closely.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
If we make it to a bowl with 5 wins it is because there are no more 6-win teams to go in. Can you name any of the 5-win teams that have gone in recently? I sure can't, and I follow college football very closely.
Mississippi State last year. They won their bowl too.