Current BBack Situation: What say you???

MountPGT1990

Banned
Why don't you just admit that your real problem is with CPJ. ( Which IMO is a great coach ) You do understand we still have other players who give +100% to win . If the OL does their job we will be fine.

I love CPJ as our coach, I'm just pissed about losing DM and think it's absurd for everyone to just blow off losing DM by saying next man up will do the job . Trust me I would love to eat crow and a poop pie if this is the best group of bbacks we have ever had. I'm pulling like crazy for these guys but just posting another opinion about the situation without my gold colored glasses on. I'm more of a realist and don't see anyone disputing my commments about our current stable of bbacks. Like I said I knew I was going to get flamed for posting this, hope I'm dead wrong about this group but imho we went from a team strength to an unknown liability

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I know I'm going to get flamed for saying this but if you truly remove your gold colored glasses for just a couple minutes then I think you might not think next man up is going to do the job quite as well as DM.

When you say next man up will do a fine job, please elaborate because that way I see it we have KB who has been injured his entire career and is currently out with no time table for a return. If he does return how long does he make it before injury bug gets him again? Prob not going to be a major contributor or someone we can count on due to fragility....So when you say next man up, I'm looking at our list of next men up and don't have the same confidence as you for some reason

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Not a huge fan of Quaide, but then again I wasn't a huge fan of Laskey either before 2014. Who knows, maybe this year we see beginnings of a great offensive trio between JJ or LJ at QB,Jerry at BB and Adonicas at WR just like Nesbitt,Dwyer, and Bay Bay.
You know, when I saw Quaid's high school film I said.,"Laskey, v.2!" The two have very similar styles and the size is about the same, at this stage of their careers. Laskey also looked like he was "running high", but it didn't matter since he got to the mesh so quickly and ran so strongly. I wouldn't be shocked or disappointed if Quaid starts; he's got about the same creds as the rest of the candidates. One problem = he needs blocks. When he gets them, he's effective. When he doesn't, he isn't. He can't force a hole like Mills could. Oth, none of the present possibilities can do that (except maybe Howard). Wish we didn't have to be in suspense like this.

So I am reading the concern of next man up. For the Freshman knowing 25% of the play book, I think CPJ only has 10 plays. As I posted earlier here are the B back plays.

Shade 6-1 otherwise known as the triple option
Straight B give
B counter
B load option
B speed option
B wheel route.
Learn to pass block and you have got the position down. The B-back doesn't have to do a lot of thinking because they are 4 yards from the line of scrimmage.

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
Next man up: Remember Synjyn Days.
Was QB,moved to A-back, B-Back, A-Back, QB (When Byerly got hurt), Then Laskey got Hurt, Days back to B-Back. Days was awesome, was a beast against UGA, FSU, Miss State . NEXT MAN UP!!

Benson is awesome, I felt all along he was going to be facture this season before Mills departed. Not beat Mills out but play more then folks expected
Quaid has looked real good the few times I've seen him. He runs hard and can punish defense.
Did not get to see Howard in scrimmage, but hear he looked real good in scrimmage.
Mason is legit, big time running back

Bule

Jolly Good Fellow
Next man up: Remember Synjyn Days.
Was QB,moved to A-back, B-Back, A-Back, QB (When Byerly got hurt), Then Laskey got Hurt, Days back to B-Back. Days was awesome, was a beast against UGA, FSU, Miss State . NEXT MAN UP!!

Benson is awesome, I felt all along he was going to be facture this season before Mills departed. Not beat Mills out but play more then folks expected
Quaid has looked real good the few times I've seen him. He runs hard and can punish defense.
Did not get to see Howard in scrimmage, but hear he looked real good in scrimmage.
Mason is legit, big time running back
I agree with all of this and it seems we are going to have Bback by committee this year which has worked well for us in the past. We don't have the one superstar right now that we seemed to have in Mills for this season but I am still optimistic. Mason and Howard will both be very good just not sure when they will have full grasp of the position yet.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
We need for the QB to come through. Regardless of Mills here or gone. To me this is the biggest issue.

With the issues Mills appears to struggle with, what is the guarantee he would have even produced like last year? Talented - yes. Continued Success - who knows. I would rather this happen now than in Oct. or Nov.

Mills has nothing to do with whether or not our D is going to keep growing.

Mills would have not determined how our new kickers are going to do.

Just saying there are bigger issues than one running back right now.

But, just think how glorious it will be when our O produces just as much as before. Man, the look on our opponents faces!

Last edited:

dubjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
In the post scrimmage press conference CPJ said Benson is bigger than Mills and faster. He may be blowing smoke up our behinds but if this is the case we will be fine!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
So I am reading the concern of next man up. For the Freshman knowing 25% of the play book, I think CPJ only has 10 plays. As I posted earlier here are the B back plays.

Having one or possibly 2 new q b and

Shade 6-1 otherwise known as the triple option
Straight B give
B counter
B load option
B speed option
B wheel route.
Learn to pass block and you have got the position down. The B-back doesn't have to do a lot of thinking because they are 4 yards from the line of scrimmage.

Playing probably 2 new q b as well as 2-3 bb is going to make running the TO risky.

By risky I mean turnovers due to error running play, mesh error, pitch error.

Coach will call a lot of plays - and use passing to keep them honest. I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't pass a lot early. If the defense effectively blitzes the run, it will be too late to pass on avid passing downs.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Playing probably 2 new q b as well as 2-3 bb is going to make running the TO risky.

By risky I mean turnovers due to error running play, mesh error, pitch error.

Coach will call a lot of plays - and use passing to keep them honest. I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't pass a lot early. If the defense effectively blitzes the run, it will be too late to pass on avid passing downs.
So how often do we run the TO anyway?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
If our OL plays well, the Bback production will be there. We have 2 guys that know the play book, and we have not 1 but 2 potential STUDS as true freshmen.

MountPGT1990

Banned
If our OL plays well, the Bback production will be there. We have 2 guys that know the play book, and we have not 1 but 2 potential STUDS as true freshmen.

Yep, we're similar to those football factory schools where we can just over look losing our best player on the team and simply plug and play with next man up and not miss a beat . I need to drink some of the Koolaid you guys sip on around here.

The two guys that know the playbook you mention: one is severely injury prone and the other was buried on the depth chart and would not have sniffed the field this year without injuries and a failed drug test.

True Frosh that are STUDS don't grow on trees especially here in ATL. I hope JH is next DM but I will believe it with it when I see it. JH has only been on campus for two weeks , while DM had the spring to learn the playbook.

DM was once a decade type back for us and I'm sorry but the ol next man up , we won't miss a beat is hogwash

Last edited:

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Yep, we're similar to those football factory schools where we can just over look losing our best player on the team and simply plug and play with next man up and not miss a beat . I need to drink some of the Koolaid you guys sip on around here
You don't have to drink the Koolaid, just give up the Chicken Little bull**** attitude. If you're certain we will now suck, congrats, you now have your fall Saturdays back. See you in 2018.

MountPGT1990

Banned
You don't have to drink the Koolaid, just give up the Chicken Little bull**** attitude. If you're certain we will now suck, congrats, you now have your fall Saturdays back. See you in 2018.

Why does everyone's feathers get so ruffled around here if someone offers an opinion that's not just purely blowing sunshine up everyone's rear??

I think what I'm saying is a realistic perspective , I've been a die hard GT fan for 35 years and know that a player like DM is not easily replaced and I'm not going to blindly say all is well with my pair of gold colored glasses on.... I call it like I see it and will be pulling hard for the bback group to make me eat crow

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
DM was once a decade type back for us and I'm sorry but the ol next man up , we won't miss a beat is hogwash

This is ludicrous. He had no home run threat and he actually gained less than 3 yards more often than Marshall. His 5.1 ypc average was below average for BBacks in our offense. He was a good back with potential to develop but a once in a decade back? He wasn't even the best bback last year.