Current BBack Situation: What say you???

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Our very deep and talented Bback position just went from loaded to potentially a liability.
I'm thinking with Mills gone and Benson banged up we went from a Solid A for the position to a C. One of our strengths has just turned into a liability .....

Does anyone know when Benson is returning?
Seems like he has missed most of fall camp and when someone asked CPJ how he was doing yesterday, he said he hasn't been practicing.

Howard has been getting some good remarks but with Benson out, that means we are heading into Tenn with a true frosh and Quaide leading the way....Ouch

Not a good position to be in, CPJ just recently said QW runs way too high and I was thinking he was 4th on depth chart and probably wouldn't see the field this year unless it was mop up time. Now he may get significant time against Tenn.....Dang it DM, I am so pissed right now

Mills was special, no doubt about it but it is time to forget both him and MM. They are gone. The onus is now on the offensive line. Knock people off the ball, then it probably does not matter about Mills. This will hurt us badly this season which is already rated the 10th hardest in the country. The quarterbacks need to be working with the remaining B backs day and night on the mesh. What else can we do? Is this team ready to fold the tent? Or are there leaders who will rally their teammates to turn this tragedy into a good season? We will see in less than 3 weeks.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Exclusive look at Coach Johnson's phone right now:
20170818_214601.png

Mills was a good Bback but he was an unknown untill the last season we don't know what we have on the bench. I'm gonna remain optimistic and say we will be just fine with the staple of backs we have.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Leggett hasn't been on the team for over a year now.
Uh, dude, I was comparing a Benson/Quaid combo with a Leggett/Quaid combo. I thought that was clear from what I said about being enthusiastic in 2015.

The combo of a quick guy with some power and a beast (Quaid is probably the strongest guy for his weight on the team) who would do the short stuff is one that could work. Oth, maybe not. Now we'll see if the experiment will work out. Wish we didn't have to do that.

TheOldWhiteNGold

Georgia Tech Fan
Not a huge fan of Quaide, but then again I wasn't a huge fan of Laskey either before 2014. Who knows, maybe this year we see beginnings of a great offensive trio between JJ or LJ at QB,Jerry at BB and Adonicas at WR just like Nesbitt,Dwyer, and Bay Bay.

SlawDog

Banned
Not a huge fan of Quaide, but then again I wasn't a huge fan of Laskey either before 2014. Who knows, maybe this year we see beginnings of a great offensive trio between JJ or LJ at QB,Jerry at BB and Adonicas at WR just like Nesbitt,Dwyer, and Bay Bay.
Let me guess......he runs too high?

MountPGT1990

Banned
Mason will be moved to Bback as well so don't forget about him

Yes, so where we stand now at BBack:

We have not one but two True Frosh that prob know about 25% of The playbook and have been on campus playing in a GT uniform for about two weeks.

KB who has been injured his entire career and seems to be as fragile as my grandma's China. He is currently banged up and no one knows if he will be ready for Labor Day and if he does return it prob won't be for long due to fragility.

We have QW who was burried on the depth chart because he runs too high and a True Frosh blew by him in less than two weeks of being on campus. I'm sorry but QW would not have sniffed the field this year with DM, KB,and JH ahead of him and now he looks to be a major contributor.

Everyone keeps saying next man up but I'm sorry I don't think replacing DM with this group is going to be as easy as a lot on here are trying to make it out to be. Losing DM is is huge blow to this season and will cost us a couple if not several wins this year.

Last edited:

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Yes, so where we stand now at BBack:

We have not one but two True Frosh that prob know about 25% of The playbook and have been on campus playing in a GT uniform for about two weeks.

KB who has been injured his entire career and seems to be as fragile as my grandma's China. He is currently banged up and no one knows if he will be ready for Labor Day and if he does return it prob won't be for long due to fragility.

We have QW who was burried on the depth chart because he runs too high and a True Frosh blew by him in less than two weeks of being on campus. I'm sorry but QW would not have sniffed the field this year with DM, KB,and JH ahead of him and now he looks to be a major contributor.

Everyone keeps saying next man up but I'm sorry I don't think replacing DM with this group is going to be as easy as a lot on here are trying to make it out to be. Losing DM is is huge blow to this season and will cost us a couple if not several wins this year.

I hear you man...I'm worried too. The only thing that makes me feel a little better is that we were kind of in the same situation last year and then Dedrick emerged. Maybe someone else will do the same...

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, sort of same as last year except we were already in a solid position with MM before DM emerged.

Questionable. Marcus was explosive, but he had serious problems will ball security and everyone was unsure if he could get the tough yards going into 2016.

The guy was good...huge run in the Georgia game that was a big part of that W. He'll definitely be missed now for sure.

MountPGT1990

Banned
Nothing more to say. We have guys that can play BBack but our LB depth is baaaaad.

When you say we have guys that can play Bback let me summarize where we stand:

We have not one but two True Frosh that prob know about 25% of the playbook and have been on campus playing in a GT uniform for about two weeks. One of these has spent half his time as an Aback so he really only has about a week in our system as an actual Bback

If BJS is buried on depth chart at LB this year and only a special teamer then I say throw him in the mix with other two true frosh and see if we have our next Tony Hollings. BJS was supposed to be the biggest get of our freshman class this year, don't just waste a year of his eligibility on special teams. If he isn't successful then no harm no foul move him back to LB next year when he might actually make the two deep.

Last edited:

MountPGT1990

Banned
I still think BJS should get a shot at Bback this year along with other two true frosh.

If BJS is buried on depth chart at LB this year and only a special teamer then I say throw him in the mix with other two true frosh and see if we have our next Tony Hollings. BJS was supposed to be the biggest get of our freshman class this year, don't just waste a year of his eligibility on special teams. If he isn't successful then no harm no foul move him back to LB next year when he might actually make the two deep.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
It'll hurt early because we'll also have a new QB with at most minimal experience and now we won't have a guy that brings something proven to take the pressure off. However, talent wise I think we're fine with Benson and Howard, and I doubt the loss of Mills will hurt much during the second half of the season. People let a preference for a certain style blind them to some things with Mills. He was a good power back who had the potential to develop into a great one, although he wasn't there yet, but the lack of a homerun threat was a bigger deal than people wanted to admit. Not just the actual runs, but the threat of them.

Milwaukee

Banned
I still think BJS should get a shot at Bback this year along with other two true frosh.

My first thoughts exactly when I heard the news.