Current BBack Situation: What say you???

MountPGT1990

Banned
high school as well??

Why don't we move him to Bback and see what he can do?

Sounds like he will not be in two deep at linebacker.

Chris Freeman

Jolly Good Fellow
Coach says it's Kirvonte's job to lose so I guess we'll start there. I don't really feel like I know anything about him. I feel like he played, did he actually get any touches last season? I know he's banged up at the moment, what's his story there? Thanks in advance

SlawDog

Banned
True, stuff happens, just seems to happen way too much to our RB's. DM will not easily be replaced. Benson has been hurt all camp, Howard is a true frosh that CPJ said has a lot to learn with the playbook on where to go and he just recently said QW runs way too high with his pads up.
He's practically on helium. Get back down here young man. Seriously, CPJ said he starts if KB isn't ready. Can we please give hm a chance!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Coach says it's Kirvonte's job to lose so I guess we'll start there. I don't really feel like I know anything about him. I feel like he played, did he actually get any touches last season? I know he's banged up at the moment, what's his story there? Thanks in advance

No, he didn't get any carries last year.

To start yes Mills loss is not good, but folks, it doesn't doom us.
Of all the positions in CPJs offense the B-Back is one of the more simple ones. Because it is so close to the line of scrimmage the runner doesn't have to make a lot of evaluations on where to run, doesn't have to read blocking schemes. Heck there are only a few plays for them
Shade 6-1 otherwise known as the triple option
Straight B give
B counter
B load option
B speed option
B wheel route.

For blocking, they pretty much only pass block. If you got a hard runner that can see creases, what Marcus Marshall and Dwyer were good at, then you get explosive plays. Otherwise you count on the guy to be a bruiser, like Mills and pick up 4 yards per carry. He averaged 5.1 last year.

I think we have guys that will do just fine.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think we just went to a 7 win team. Mills was a true difference maker.

What we have now is Leggett and Quaid. The similarities are very strong and I was looking forward to that combo in 2015. Now I hope that my positive feelings about that pairing are accurate. Truthfully, I doubt if they can make up for losing Mills, but maybe.

One thing: I think this makes a better case for Marshall at QB. Without Mills the QB/BB game that Jordan is suited for might be less effective.

I'm quite discouraged right now.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
The real problem, now that the shock is wearing off, is that we no longer have a go-to play. Every play is now a dice roll.

Mills was the perfect antidote to a new QB.

Get ready for some 3-and-outs.

No wonder CPJ has been in a pissy mood all week. He knew this was coming.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The real problem, now that the shock is wearing off, is that we no longer have a go-to play. Every play is now a dice roll.

Mills was the perfect antidote to a new QB.

Get ready for some 3-and-outs.

No wonder CPJ has been in a pissy mood all week. He knew this was coming.

Well, really, it's just that we don't know what we have in BBack more than that we know it won't be good.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
No doubt Mills was, and is a very good RB. But what if he was was injured on the first play from scrimmage against the Vols in the season opener? I'd rather this all happen right now three weeks prior to kickoff.

I'm sure the Yankees' fans were in a tailspin when First Baseman Wally Pipp went down with an injury and they had to insert a green as cactus First Baseman named: Lou Gehrig. The Raiders won a Super Bowl as a Wild Card in 1980 after QB Dan Pastorini broke his leg after the 4th or 5th game of the season and they had to play a cast off bench warmer QB cut by the Patriots named Jim Plunkett.

Stuff happens all the time and that's why there's a roster of 85 players. Now GT has 84 as a scholarship just opened up.

Stinger21

Jolly Good Fellow
Everyone just needs to chill out. Losing Mills is definitely a hit to the offense, but we still have tons of talent at the position. This offense does not rely on one player. And I'm still predicting more production from the BB position than in recent years. Days and Laskey were great athletes but they weren't world beaters. Still ended up with an 11 win season.

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
No doubt Mills was, and is a very good RB. But what if he was was injured on the first play from scrimmage against the Vols in the season opener? I'd rather this all happen right now three weeks prior to kickoff.

I'm sure the Yankees' fans were in a tailspin when First Baseman Wally Pipp went down with an injury and they had to insert a green as cactus First Baseman named: Lou Gehrig. The Raiders won a Super Bowl as a Wild Card in 1980 after QB Dan Pastorini broke his leg after the 4th or 5th game of the season and they had to play a cast off bench warmer QB cut by the Patriots named Jim Plunkett.

Stuff happens all the time and that's why there's a roster of 85 players. Now GT has 84 as a scholarship just opened up.
I like it. Old school reference to the Throwin' Samoan.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Now that he's gone maybe people won't jump down my throat if I say that mills was overhyped. He brought good power running but completely lacked the home run threat. This isn't sour grapes by the way. I said the same thing when Marshal left. This bigger loss was always Marshal because he was a more complete back. By the way Marshal also had a higher % of his runs go for 3 or more yards.

This will hurt early most likely but I doubt it will mean much at the end of the year once his replacement gets adjusted.

I don't think Dedrick was overhyped at all, he's just a very good running back and it'll hurt. I'm excited about the guys left, Benson in particular has game-breaking speed, but where they're lacking is in experience. It's tough opening against UT instead of a warm-up, but at least we have a couple weeks for one of them to emerge.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I think we just went to a 7 win team. Mills was a true difference maker.

What we have now is Leggett and Quaid. The similarities are very strong and I was looking forward to that combo in 2015. Now I hope that my positive feelings about that pairing are accurate. Truthfully, I doubt if they can make up for losing Mills, but maybe.

One thing: I think this makes a better case for Marshall at QB. Without Mills the QB/BB game that Jordan is suited for might be less effective.

I'm quite discouraged right now.

Leggett hasn't been on the team for over a year now.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Sorry, I just want to say that the DM thread was locked, and I don't think it was in response to me. That may be a first in this forum.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
This will no doubt have an impact on the other players mentally. Losing your best player going into a big game is exactly what a team doesn't need. That being said, I think we'll be ok in the long run. Mills had that "it" factor with power but the speed was eh, kind of like a poor man's James Conner. As long as someone is getting positive yards, we'll find a way.