Current BBack Situation: What say you???

MountPGT1990

Banned
This is ludicrous. He had no home run threat and he actually gained less than 3 yards more often than Marshall. His 5.1 ypc average was below average for BBacks in our offense. He was a good back with potential to develop but a once in a decade back? He wasn't even the best bback last year.

Hahaha, I see your ludicrous and raise you one kind sir, right back at you and pass me some of that Koolaid you're drInking while you're at it.

So DM was just a good back??? He tied Bama's QB last year for most TD's by a freshman while only playing in 9 games. Yeah we've had tons of guys like that here on the flats in the past 30 years

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Yep, we're similar to those football factory schools where we can just over look losing our best player on the team and simply plug and play with next man up and not miss a beat . I need to drink some of the Koolaid you guys sip on around here.

The two guys that know the playbook you mention: one is severely injury prone and the other was buried on the depth chart and would not have sniffed the field this year without injuries and a failed drug test.

True Frosh that are STUDS don't grow on trees especially here in ATL. I hope JH is next DM but I will believe it with it when I see it. JH has only been on campus for two weeks , while DM had the spring to learn the playbook.

DM was once a decade type back for us and I'm sorry but the ol next man up , we won't miss a beat is hogwash
Bro you took my comment and magnified it to something I wasn't even saying lol . Go back and read the very first comment I made. Let me try it again.

The OL is just as important as the Bback position, if they are creating holes the Bbacks will be fine. I said guys know the offense, to show if the holes are there then the Bbacks will be in the right place.

Dedrick was a once in a decade type back for us? Dwyer says hello, Travis Custis would have probably been just as good if not better (he had better vision imo) besides that we haven't signed Bbacks with the size and athletic ability as Mason and Howard that why I said POTENTIAL.

I'm not saying we will get the same production as Mills would have given us (we don't know) I simply said if the OL (notice the OL makes things go) then we will be fine. I didn't say they were the best in the world or anything like that, so I don't get the koolaid comment.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
This is ludicrous. He had no home run threat and he actually gained less than 3 yards more often than Marshall. His 5.1 ypc average was below average for BBacks in our offense. He was a good back with potential to develop but a once in a decade back? He wasn't even the best bback last year.
Yards per play isn't everything. Mills was most definitely the best b back last year imo. Look at yards after contact and stuff like that. Marshall had some huge runs that inflated his numbers and he virtually went in untouched, some of those big plays could have happened with almost any of our Bbacks, it was pretty much catch the ball and run no one will even be around to touch you. Nothing against Marshall, but Mills was the harder runner and got our system pretty good.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Does anyone know what is wrong with Benson and whether he will get any reps before opening night? Even if Howard is the starter, I want two capable B backs ready to play.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Does anyone know what is wrong with Benson and whether he will get any reps before opening night? Even if Howard is the starter, I want two capable B backs ready to play.

CPJ said after the scrimmage today, he may be back by Monday. At about 2:55 in the Press Conference:

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Why does everyone's feathers get so ruffled around here if someone offers an opinion that's not just purely blowing sunshine up everyone's rear??

I think what I'm saying is a realistic perspective , I've been a die hard GT fan for 35 years and know that a player like DM is not easily replaced and I'm not going to blindly say all is well with my pair of gold colored glasses on.... I call it like I see it and will be pulling hard for the bback group to make me eat crow
Nobody's feathers is ruffled, except maybe yours, and most fans aren't pumping sunshine up nobody's ***. Multiple people have given you reasons why we will be ok this season, that doesn't mean Mills won't be missed. You're acting as if Mills was the only player we have, on a team of 80+ guys, that's worth a crap and we will be playing walkons at B Back.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Yards per play isn't everything. Mills was most definitely the best b back last year imo. Look at yards after contact and stuff like that. Marshall had some huge runs that inflated his numbers and he virtually went in untouched, some of those big plays could have happened with almost any of our Bbacks, it was pretty much catch the ball and run no one will even be around to touch you. Nothing against Marshall, but Mills was the harder runner and got our system pretty good.

Lmao inflated his numbers. Marshall had the ability to hit the home run that Mills didn't. Marshall had enough big plays that they can't just be chalked up to flukes, and written off as anyone could have done so. Because nobody else did. Certainly Mills didn't despite getting ample opportunity. Marshall had 8 carries, and 1 reception for 50+ yards in +180 touches and Mills had 0 in the 150 he got last year.

Also, I've gone back and charted the plays for both players. Both were nearly identical in how often they lost yards, both few. The difference in the short gains though is that Mills was more likely to get 0-2 yards while Marshall was more likely to get 3-4. During the regular season, Mills got between 0-2 yards 31.4 % of the time to Marshall's 25.3%. Marshall got between 3-4 yards 32.6% of the time while Mills was at 23.1%. Both had 5 rushes for loss. Mills had the advantage in medium gains, but Marshall blew him away in the home run department.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Lmao inflated his numbers. Marshall had the ability to hit the home run that Mills didn't. Marshall had enough big plays that they can't just be chalked up to flukes, and written off as anyone could have done so. Because nobody else did. Certainly Mills didn't despite getting ample opportunity. Marshall had 8 carries, and 1 reception for 50+ yards in +180 touches and Mills had 0 in the 150 he got last year.

Also, I've gone back and charted the plays for both players. Both were nearly identical in how often they lost yards, both few. The difference in the short gains though is that Mills was more likely to get 0-2 yards while Marshall was more likely to get 3-4. During the regular season, Mills got between 0-2 yards 31.4 % of the time to Marshall's 25.3%. Marshall got between 3-4 yards 32.6% of the time while Mills was at 23.1%. Both had 5 rushes for loss. Mills had the advantage in medium gains, but Marshall blew him away in the home run department.
I didn't say all his homerun plays were plays that everyone could have gotten, but there were some plays where probably any of the BBacks could have gotten the big play. Go back and watch them.

Mills was the top RB in the country with plays of zero or negative yards.
Mills also had a better percentage of runs 5 yards or more than Marshall. That right there proves the big plays Marshall had inflated his numbers lol.
I would dare to say his yards after contact were better than marshalls as well. And I wonder how many more big plays we had on the outside because guys cheated in to help stop mills.
But let's go on beyond that, running isn't everything. You still have to block and do your assignments. That's a big reason Mills was the starter. CPJ put Mills as the starter, because he was the better RB and I'm sure CPJ knows better than any of us. And I agree Marshall blew him away in the homerun plays, but the medium gains are so much more important, you can't hit a homerun every time.

MountPGT1990

Banned
Bro you took my comment and magnified it to something I wasn't even saying lol . Go back and read the very first comment I made. Let me try it again.

The OL is just as important as the Bback position, if they are creating holes the Bbacks will be fine. I said guys know the offense, to show if the holes are there then the Bbacks will be in the right place.

Dedrick was a once in a decade type back for us? Dwyer says hello, Travis Custis would have probably been just as good if not better (he had better vision imo) besides that we haven't signed Bbacks with the size and athletic ability as Mason and Howard that why I said POTENTIAL.

I'm not saying we will get the same production as Mills would have given us (we don't know) I simply said if the OL (notice the OL makes things go) then we will be fine. I didn't say they were the best in the world or anything like that, so I don't get the koolaid comment.[/QUOTE

Last edited:

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Dude stop looking past the OL comment lol. I never said the guys were going to be better than Mills. I simply said we should be ok if the OL does their job. Do you disagree with that?

Also I said Travis probably would have been just as good if not better, he was that type of talent we had at GT whether he played or not. You didn't mention playing at all, you just said he's that once in a decade talent we get at GT. Travis was just as talented. But keep on painting a narrative that wasn't even said by me.

MountPGT1990

Banned
"Custis, Custis, we seriously talking about Custis????!!!!" As a once in a decade type player???? Dude, he never played a down, WTF?

I feel like Allen Iverson that time he was getting interviewed and went off saying

"Practice....practice..... we talking about Practice???!!!

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
"Custis, Custis, we seriously talking about Custis????!!!!" As a once in a decade type player???? Dude, he never played a down, WTF?

I feel like Allen Iverson that time he was getting interviewed and went off saying

"Practice....practice..... we talking about Practice???!!!
Look at my comment above yours....

MountPGT1990

Banned
Nobody's feathers is ruffled, except maybe yours, and most fans aren't pumping sunshine up nobody's ***. Multiple people have given you reasons why we will be ok this season, that doesn't mean Mills won't be missed. You're acting as if Mills was the only player we have, on a team of 80+ guys, that's worth a crap and we will be playing walkons at B Back.

Not acting like Mills is only player on team.

Do you honestly think Clemson would have won natty last year if Deshaun Watson was kicked off the team two weeks before the season started? Now, I'm not saying Mills is Watson but compared to our team, Mills was a Watson type player for us and losing him means we will not be near as good, he was the special.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

Mills was probably our best player. He was potentially the best B back since Dwyer. The loss of MM made things even worse.

All that said there are a number of other factors to consider

* If the line matures, improves, and develops as a cohesive unit, we will be fine
* If the defense matures, improves, and plays to its absolute potential then we will be fine
* If the quarterback does not lay the ball on the ground, completes passes to keep defenses honest, executes the proper reads on the various option plays we will be fine
* If the TEAM decides to come together to disprove the naysayers and show what character, hard work, and teamwork are all about we will be fine

A lot of IFs to be sure but this team has shown in the past an ability to overcome adversity. It can be done with the proper coaching and team leadership.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Not acting like Mills is only player on team.

Do you honestly think Clemson would have won natty last year if Deshaun Watson was kicked off the team two weeks before the season started? Now, I'm not saying Mills is Watson but compared to our team, Mills was a Watson type player for us and losing him means we will not be near as good, he was the special.

Okay, I think most people know where you're coming from now. You've convinced the people you'll convince, in my opinion, and the rest won't be. Tifwiw

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I didn't say all his homerun plays were plays that everyone could have gotten, but there were some plays where probably any of the BBacks could have gotten the big play. Go back and watch them.

So it just so happened that none of those happened any other time that our bbacks carried the ball? Somehow only Marshall ever had those big plays that any of them could have made. How fortunate for him lol.

Mills also had a better percentage of runs 5 yards or more than Marshall. That right there proves the big plays Marshall had inflated his numbers lol.

Marshall had a higher percentage of his plays be 10 or more yards, 13.5% to 11.2%. The big plays didn't inflate Marshall's numbers. He was a bigger home run threat. The increased numbers reflect that. That's not inflation. Mills had the advantage in getting 5-9 yard plays, some of that being turning some 3-4 yard gains into 5-6 but a good bit of it being unable to break runs longer.

I would dare to say his yards after contact were better than marshalls as well. And I wonder how many more big plays we had on the outside because guys cheated in to help stop mills.

Mills probably was better in yards after contact. And Marshall was better at using speed to avoid contact. Also, as I said, Marshall was more consistent in getting the yardage that would force teams to cheat, 0-2 yards aint getting that, and the fear of the big play. Beinga tougher runner doesn't mean you're better. People made the same mistake when Skov "won" the starting spot.

CPJ put Mills as the starter, because he was the better RB and I'm sure CPJ knows better than any of us.

Johnson also put Laskey over Days, and Days out produced. He put Skov over Marshall and Marshall out produced. He put Mills over Marshall and Marshall out produced.

Marshall blew him away in the homerun plays, but the medium gains are so much more important, you can't hit a homerun every time.

And you aren't getting the medium plays every time either. Also, no, the medium plays aren't so much more important. Home run plays will almost always result in TDs. Medium plays don't. Medium plays continue to force you to execute to get points. Lets look at Mill's two best games. Against UNC. He had 44 yards on drives ending in 0 points, including some of his medium yard gains. Another drive where he got 34 yards but it ended in a FG. The only two TDs we got that game were on a big play, 83 yard TD, and on the drive where Mills got his biggest gain of the year (39) We had several other longs drives stall out and either get no points or just 3, because we were forced to try and grind it all out. Against Kentucky, we only scored 2 offensive TDs despite his big game. The first was an 11 play drive, but it had to go 94 yards, and featured a play that gained us a total of 37 yards (22 on the play plus 15 for the flag). The second was a 58 yard drive with 42 being picked up on one play. Otherwise we had a 12 play drive ending in a FG, Mills had 5 carries for 26 yards. We had an 8 play drive that started on UK's side ending in a FG (mills had 4 runs for 18 yards). We had a 12 play drive ending in a FG (Mills had 8 carries for 66 yards). So that is 17 of his carries and 110 of his yards, that went to drives not ending in 7. Looking at those FG drives 2 were hurt by penalties, with one of those being hurt by a fumble recovered by us as well. The third petered out after a 1 yard gain on first and goal put us behind the ball. That was the reason why a game which we dominated for 3 and a half quarters was a one possession game with under 4 left.

And that is why the big play is important. The 50 yard gains are 50 yards that you don't have to spend 6-7-8 plays getting risking missed blocks, penalties or the like.

The only time one of Marshall's big plays didn't result in a TD, is when we had first and goal at the 2, got cute by putting Jordan in cold and proceeded to get a false start.