Current BBack Situation: What say you???

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I'll put it this way, you said Marshall was the better Bback, but our head football coach disagrees, and like I said, he knows more than us. Running the ball isn't everything, big plays aren't everything. The reason Mills was a better Bback is because he got the tough yards, yards after contact and most importantly he was better without the ball in his hands. These are essential things that outweigh big plays in our system.

I do not pretend to know which would have been a better B back Mills or Marshall. I do know that both of them are gone. It is a pity but the players who have remained should be our focus. PJ has stated repeatedly that they can play. They have two weeks to get the mesh down and practice all the nuances of being a complete B back in our offense. It will not be easy, but it can be done. The ONLY requirement I have ever heard Coach Johnson explicitly say about becoming a B back is that they have to first and foremost be a "good football player" I interpret that to mean: physically touch, mentally tough, capable and willing blocker, good balance and leg drive, willing to absorb punishment, if need be, able to carry the team, good vision and ability to read the defense. Break away speed is nice but not a hard and fast requirement. We have players that meet those requirements but have not been given a chance. Well, now they have an opportunity to show what they can do. It's showtime on the Flats.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I do not pretend to know which would have been a better B back Mills or Marshall. I do know that both of them are gone. It is a pity but the players who have remained should be our focus. PJ has stated repeatedly that they can play. They have two weeks to get the mesh down and practice all the nuances of being a complete B back in our offense. It will not be easy, but it can be done. The ONLY requirement I have ever heard Coach Johnson explicitly say about becoming a B back is that they have to first and foremost be a "good football player" I interpret that to mean: physically touch, mentally tough, capable and willing blocker, good balance and leg drive, willing to absorb punishment, if need be, able to carry the team, good vision and ability to read the defense. Break away speed is nice but not a hard and fast requirement. We have players that meet those requirements but have not been given a chance. Well, now they have an opportunity to show what they can do. It's showtime on the Flats.
I agree our focus should be the current players, my comment was in reference to another poster. In another thread I talked about how we should be fine at Bback and especially if our OL does their job. Now that I think about it, I might have posted that on this thread I just can't remember lol.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Having largely forgotten any recruiting discussion about Jordan Ponchez-Mason, I went back and watched some highlights.

Seems to be similar to Howard in possessing good but not great speed and great size, but I was pretty impressed by his running through contact. I have no idea the competition level, but he looked like a great fit at BB.

Has anyone noticed any comments at all regarding what kind of camp he had? I assume he'll be moving back to BB, and I hope he gets a RS year, but what say you?

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Having largely forgotten any recruiting discussion about Jordan Ponchez-Mason, I went back and watched some highlights.

Seems to be similar to Howard in possessing good but not great speed and great size, but I was pretty impressed by his running through contact. I have no idea the competition level, but he looked like a great fit at BB.

Has anyone noticed any comments at all regarding what kind of camp he had? I assume he'll be moving back to BB, and I hope he gets a RS year, but what say you?

PJ has already mentioned Mason several times, would love to see him RS'ed for class separation but not sure it's going to happen. He's played in one of the strongest regions in TN, very good competition game in and game out

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

https://gtswarm.com/threads/jordan-ponchez-mason.12710/

This was a thread I started on him. His coach is on GTSwarm and said he runs a 4.5

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Synjyn Days: ‘Don’t talk bad’ about Dedrick Mills
“One thing I could say to the Tech fans is keep him in your prayers because obviously it’s something that he wished didn’t happen,” the former Tech running back told the AJC. “I know he’s beating himself up about it. Every time you get knocked down, you’ve just got to get back up. Don’t talk bad about him or the Tech family.”
“He’s a good kid,” Days said. “If we could all go back and look at our lives at 19, there’s a lot of things we wish we hadn’t done. He’ll end up finding his way, just keeping positive role models around him.”

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Next man up: Remember Synjyn Days.
Was QB,moved to A-back, B-Back, A-Back, QB (When Byerly got hurt), Then Laskey got Hurt, Days back to B-Back. Days was awesome, was a beast against UGA, FSU, Miss State . NEXT MAN UP!!

Benson is awesome, I felt all along he was going to be facture this season before Mills departed. Not beat Mills out but play more then folks expected
Quaid has looked real good the few times I've seen him. He runs hard and can punish defense.
Did not get to see Howard in scrimmage, but hear he looked real good in scrimmage.
Mason is legit, big time running back
I also remember something else about Days, it took him forever to trust the hole. That's what kept him behind Laskey for so long. Once he learned it, he was number 1.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
My mom has/had family in Garden City, KS. It's not a big town.

No kidding .
Last spot on way to end of road.
It will build character to go through a winter . If he makes it, he will have learned a very hard lesson.

As a mater of interest to Engineer types: just southwest of gc is one of the largest gas fields in the world (hugeton). Discovered in mid 50's it was rapidly devolved shipping mass quantities of gas thru new pipelines to Detroit, to Chicago, and NYC. Since it contained helium the govt commissioned a Giant extraction plant at Ulysses kansas a part of this the development. This giant plant was built in record time as the he was shipped to south by pipeline to a nuclear bomb building facility -Pantex. With extraction of the helium came methane, propane and butane and they were shipped to Garden City and Hutchinson kansas and then to gulf coast. My company did work on these two facilities in 80s 90s and 2000s. Your engr moment.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
No kidding .
Last spot on way to end of road.
It will build character to go through a winter . If he makes it, he will have learned a very hard lesson.

As a mater of interest to Engineer types: just southwest of gc is one of the largest gas fields in the world (hugeton). Discovered in mid 50's it was rapidly devolved shipping mass quantities of gas thru new pipelines to Detroit, to Chicago, and NYC. Since it contained helium the govt commissioned a Giant extraction plant at Ulysses kansas a part of this the development. This giant plant was built in record time as the he was shipped to south by pipeline to a nuclear bomb building facility -Pantex. With extraction of the helium came methane, propane and butane and they were shipped to Garden City and Hutchinson kansas and then to gulf coast. My company did work on these two facilities in 80s 90s and 2000s. Your engr moment.

Are you a pipeline engineer? My daddy designed and oversaw construction of natural gas pipelines for decades.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Are you a pipeline engineer? My daddy designed and oversaw construction of natural gas pipelines for decades.
Yes ME 69 then a brief tour of se Asia and then pipeline all over usa etc - owned part of EPCM and survey consulting company since 88 .
Great industry . On what projects did your dad work ?
He knows that "There is nothing too good for a pipeliner".