Current BBack Situation: What say you???

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
So it just so happened that none of those happened any other time that our bbacks carried the ball? Somehow only Marshall ever had those big plays that any of them could have made. How fortunate for him lol.

Marshall had a higher percentage of his plays be 10 or more yards, 13.5% to 11.2%. The big plays didn't inflate Marshall's numbers. He was a bigger home run threat. The increased numbers reflect that. That's not inflation. Mills had the advantage in getting 5-9 yard plays, some of that being turning some 3-4 yard gains into 5-6 but a good bit of it being unable to break runs longer.

Mills probably was better in yards after contact. And Marshall was better at using speed to avoid contact. Also, as I said, Marshall was more consistent in getting the yardage that would force teams to cheat, 0-2 yards aint getting that, and the fear of the big play. Beinga tougher runner doesn't mean you're better. People made the same mistake when Skov "won" the starting spot.

Johnson also put Laskey over Days, and Days out produced. He put Skov over Marshall and Marshall out produced. He put Mills over Marshall and Marshall out produced.

And you aren't getting the medium plays every time either. Also, no, the medium plays aren't so much more important. Home run plays will almost always result in TDs. Medium plays don't. Medium plays continue to force you to execute to get points. Lets look at Mill's two best games. Against UNC. He had 44 yards on drives ending in 0 points, including some of his medium yard gains. Another drive where he got 34 yards but it ended in a FG. The only two TDs we got that game were on a big play, 83 yard TD, and on the drive where Mills got his biggest gain of the year (39) We had several other longs drives stall out and either get no points or just 3, because we were forced to try and grind it all out. Against Kentucky, we only scored 2 offensive TDs despite his big game. The first was an 11 play drive, but it had to go 94 yards, and featured a play that gained us a total of 37 yards (22 on the play plus 15 for the flag). The second was a 58 yard drive with 42 being picked up on one play. Otherwise we had a 12 play drive ending in a FG, Mills had 5 carries for 26 yards. We had an 8 play drive that started on UK's side ending in a FG (mills had 4 runs for 18 yards). We had a 12 play drive ending in a FG (Mills had 8 carries for 66 yards). So that is 17 of his carries and 110 of his yards, that went to drives not ending in 7. Looking at those FG drives 2 were hurt by penalties, with one of those being hurt by a fumble recovered by us as well. The third petered out after a 1 yard gain on first and goal put us behind the ball. That was the reason why a game which we dominated for 3 and a half quarters was a one possession game with under 4 left.

And that is why the big play is important. The 50 yard gains are 50 yards that you don't have to spend 6-7-8 plays getting risking missed blocks, penalties or the like.

The only time one of Marshall's big plays didn't result in a TD, is when we had first and goal at the 2, got cute by putting Jordan in cold and proceeded to get a false start.
I'll put it this way, you said Marshall was the better Bback, but our head football coach disagrees, and like I said, he knows more than us. Running the ball isn't everything, big plays aren't everything. The reason Mills was a better Bback is because he got the tough yards, yards after contact and most importantly he was better without the ball in his hands. These are essential things that outweigh big plays in our system.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
What tougher yards. Marshall was the one better at getting 3-4 yards instead of 0-2 yards.
Tough yards are yards after contact Lol. And like I said CPJ played Mills for a reason, it's not all about the ball in your hand, and big plays. There is so much more to that position.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Tough yards are yards after contact Lol. And like I said CPJ played Mills for a reason, it's not all about the ball in your hand, and big plays. There is so much more to that position.

Okay, so wouldn't it make sense then that the guy who was getting 3-4 yards instead of 0-2 yards better at getting yards after contact, or is this another case of Marshall just getting lucky with the plays he happened to be in on lol? Also, Johnson played Skov for a reason as well. Didn't make him better.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
In the post scrimmage press conference CPJ said Benson is bigger than Mills and faster. He may be blowing smoke up our behinds but if this is the case we will be fine!

Mills had trimmed down to 214 to start camp and Benson is reported at 215. Size is important but not at the top of the list for a good RB. No doubt Benson is faster based on his HS performances in track.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Okay, so wouldn't it make sense then that the guy who was getting 3-4 yards instead of 0-2 yards better at getting yards after contact, or is this another case of Marshall just getting lucky with the plays he happened to be in on lol? Also, Johnson played Skov for a reason as well. Didn't make him better.
lol dude you are picking 1 stat to defend your argument so you win...... no reason to argue we obviously see it differently.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I'm more concerned about our QB play than the BB. The QB will have more effect on our overall success than the loss of Mills. The QB touches the ball on every offensive play. Sorry Mills will not be on the team and he would have been a really solid player but he obviously has some self discipline problems. Hope this helps him in his personal life get things turned around.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I could be worry but I thought CPJ said MM needed to work on his blocking. I seem to remember him saying it was not his running but lack of blocking he needed to work on to be better.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer

Dude, you've got to let it go. You're lying to yourself. EVERYONE but you and maybe one or two others on this site can see that Dedrick was better for us...players, coaches, local media, national media, opposing coaches, former players, et al. Marshall was very good...just not as good as Dedrick. The short yardage thing is crazy too...who was getting the ball in short yardage scenarios? So of course he's going to have more plays that went for fewer yards. It was obvious to everyone watching when we had anything and goal from the 3 or 4 that Dedrick would score if we gave him the ball...and he did. So much so that myself most fans still scratch their heads at the plays called at the end of the game in Athens...turned out OK, but it was definitely not the easiest route to victory.

But even more important...THEY'RE BOTH GONE, SO WHO CARES ANYMORE...let's worry about the guys we've got

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
Forgive me if this has already been floated... I didnt read all 7 pages of notes...

If LJ or TQM win the QB job, would we try looking at MJ at BB? He's big and strong, seems like maybe he could be a Laskey type of runner there.

That may not be a good suggestion, but he's still got this year and one more year of eligibility. Coach has always said he's a good athlete and wants to get him on the field.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Playing probably 2 new q b as well as 2-3 bb is going to make running the TO risky.

By risky I mean turnovers due to error running play, mesh error, pitch error.

Coach will call a lot of plays - and use passing to keep them honest. I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't pass a lot early. If the defense effectively blitzes the run, it will be too late to pass on avid passing downs.
If I'm the UT D.C. I load the box, crash down to stop the run, put corners on islands, and make the new QB prove he can hurt me. Change it up for 3rd and longs / obvious passing downs. Then stick with it till down by 2 scores.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Okay, I think most people know where you're coming from now. You've convinced the people you'll convince, in my opinion, and the rest won't be. Tifwiw

True....this post still nearly made me squirt my drink through my nostrils. Not many here can compete with me when beating dead horses...but...I consider you a close competitor :p:ROFLMAO:

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Tennessee’s Butch Jones responds to Mills dismissal
“It doesn’t affect them one bit,” Jones told reporters after Tennessee’s Friday’s practice in Knoxville, Tenn. “I believe they were 3-0 without him last year.”

Jones actually sold Tech short. The Jackets were 4-0 without Mills, beating Mercer, Duke, Virginia Tech and Virginia. Jones additionally praised Tech’s spread-option offense and its team overall.

“They have a system that’s challenging, and they have good players and a very solid defense and good special teams,” Jones said. “This is a complete football team that we’re playing, we prepare the same way, so it doesn’t affect our mindset our how we look at things.”

MountPGT1990

Banned
Forgive me if this has already been floated... I didnt read all 7 pages of notes...

If LJ or TQM win the QB job, would we try looking at MJ at BB? He's big and strong, seems like maybe he could be a Laskey type of runner there.

That may not be a good suggestion, but he's still got this year and one more year of eligibility. Coach has always said he's a good athlete and wants to get him on the field.

I think it's a prefer suggestion and agree 100% that MJ needs to move to Bback and would do great there