CPJ sez...

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Got this story from years ago. One of PJ's players got into huge trouble. I mean big, big trouble. The sheriff calls PJ and tells him you need to come down to the jail.
PJ gets there and they've got the kid in an interview room. Kid is now scared out of his wits but, well, he screwed up big time. Looks at coach and says, "Coach, what are we going to do?" PJ says, "We ain't doin' nothin'. But first, you're calling your momma and tell her what you've done. Second, you're getting yourself a lawyer."
Kid was taking cars for test drives, making copies of the key and then going back at night and driving them off the lot and since he was taking cars across state lines, it became a federal crime.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
"Everybody says that a perfect practice makes a perfect game. But here, we try to make practice harder than the game. That way, you'll be able to power your way through a game." (--Last year as seen on the ESPN-U 'All Access' tv special)

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
"Son, you need a haircut. You better be glad you had your helmet on when your daddy saw you after the game the other day. He'd have probably cut it in the parking lot himself." (Laughing with player during a pre-practice warmup)

"If you ask the players, they'd probably tell you I was fairly intense. You know, I want to be demanding...we coach tough. Sure you have to put your arm around guys when it's the time for it. But, we try to coach them hard."

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
"Ain't nobody much giving us credit. I like it. We can be so much better. Work hard. Together-- work, be excited. We got a chance to be good."

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
"I think as the head coach you set the tone and the outline and, the philosophy and everything....we're fortunate we've got an outstanding coaching staff. Guys with a lot of experience. And, a lot of us have been together for a long time so we kinda know what what we're trying to do."

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I think Miami 09. LSU was a more somber CPJ
Bowl games against LSU and Iowa really showed how far Tech had to go in team speed and athleticism. As I recall you're right, he was specific in pointing out how much bigger and faster the LSU team was and thus the talent deficit, despite conference championships and success. May even have led to his enmity toward the SEC because he sure never forgot it.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
While team speed and athleticism were certainly in need of an upgrade, the LSU and Iowa Bowl Games amplified the lack of size in the trenches on both sides of the LOS for GT.

Against Iowa, their All American DE Adrian Clayborn was in the backfield all night and unblockable. I'm sure Dwyer still has nightmares about getting hit by him right after getting the rock on every play. I thought Clayborn was playing B-Back for the Yellow Jackets.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm 8 yrs. younger than CPJ. There's actually some Ga Tech humor in that phrase....which I used while being a bit amused with myself.