CPJ sez...

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
Okay. This one is simply for pure fun. (Haters not welcome)

Over the years, the sound bites have piled up in our minds I'm sure. For all his impatience with interviews, CPJ can say some things that become downright memorable. Behind the microphone, or when just relaxing, some of these can leave you:
* Laughing...
* Scratching your head...
* Understanding a little more about why we do things the way we do...

So, let me get us started by spotting a few quotes. Join me as we have a little fun remembering the best over the years so far. If you want to analyze, psychologize or criticize...puh-LEEAZE just move along.

Here goes---
"I don't punt a whole lot because I figure if you can't get 1 or 2 yards you're not a very good team! I don't like to just hand it back over to them without trying."

"I went into the locker room at halftime and said, "Boys...they act like they've never seen the Belly-G before. Get ready for us to pound that for a while. 'Cause if they can't stop that, I'm gonna give 'em more."

"I had this one kid years ago that was just getting pushed around all over the line. These Ga Tech kids can be too smart for my own good. Figured I needed to appeal to his manhood. So, I went to him at half-time and asked, 'Is that guy really just that much better than you?' I've never seen that one fail to work. He said, 'Yes sir. Actually, he was 5-star coming out of high school. He's 3 inches taller and he's got a good 40 lbs. on me.'"

"We don't throw the ball a lot. But, when we do-- we MEAN it."

Last edited:

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
"I was yelling upstairs, 'Who put him in there!? Why did we run that with him in?' There was just silence in my headphones. So, I asked him 'Son, who put you in the game? Why did we run that with you in there?' And he said, 'Coach--you did. I was standing next to you and you grabbed my shoulder pad, told me the play, and shoved me in there.'"

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
"You can't beat me at H-O-R-S-E. Because I figure I can beat you anyway. And, if I look around and see that you're about to beat me--I"ll just punch you in the nose."

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Okay. This one is simply for pure fun. (Haters not welcome)

Over the years, the sound bites have piled up in our minds I'm sure. For all his impatience with interviews, CPJ can say some things that become downright memorable. Behind the microphone, or when just relaxing, some of these can leave you:
* Laughing...
* Scratching your head...
* Understanding a little more about why we do things the way we do...

So, let me get us started by spotting a few quotes. Join me as we have a little fun remembering the best over the years so far. If you want to analyze, psychologize or criticize...puh-LEEAZE just move along.

Here goes---
"I don't punt a whole lot because I figure if you can't get 1 or 2 yards you're not a very good team! I don't like to just hand it back over to them without trying."

"I went into the locker room at halftime and said, "Boys...they act like they've never seen the Belly-G before. Get ready for us to pound that for a while. 'Cause if they can't stop that, I'm gonna give 'em more."

"I had this one kid years ago that was just getting pushed around all over the line. These Ga Tech kids can be too smart for my own good. Figured I needed to appeal to his manhood. So, I went to him at half-time and asked, 'Is that guy really just that much better than you?' I've never seen that one fail to work. He said, 'Yes sir. Actually, he was 5-star coming out of high school. He's 3 inches taller and he's got a good 40 lbs. on me.'"

"We don't throw the ball a lot. But, when we do-- we MEAN it."

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
of all the memorable ones, Contestant No. 2 is my favorite. The "without trying" reference just encapsulates his whole demeanor and approach. He had another one that I could not with any accuracy quote, but it was something like the opponent had better score when it got the ball, because "we don't miss much when we get our turn," and yet another dismissing passing for first downs because he figured if it was only five or six yards, he could run for that.

Thanks for posting them.

jackette

Jolly Good Fellow
"and at least for two weeks we don't have to hear about the SEC"; of course the media has already started how certain sec qb's are the 2nd coming, as if they were the one to win the game or the orange bowl mvp....

What does it mean to beat UGA" CPJ "it means they have to take down that dumb "we run this state sign". CLASSIC

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
"Come the Fall, we'll see which ones can play. They ALL come highly recommended."
(This is CPJ's favorite Bear Bryant quote about arriving recruits)

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
Lest we forget one of his most endearing quotes after a lot of criticism, from radio, I think, that "Coaching football is easy. You only have to win one game a week."

This is a great thread by the way, Dr.Jacket. Great idea, helped along by the fact Johnson says some funny stuff.
Now these last two are reminding me of something funny. One day he said to me "You know the only difference in your job and mine?" I laughed and said, "No, Paul, I don't. Tell me-- what's the only difference in my job and yours? 'Cause I can think of a lot."

He said, "The difference between your job and mine is only 80% of the people think they can do mine better than me."

Last edited:

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
"and at least for two weeks we don't have to hear about the SEC"; of course the media has already started how certain sec qb's are the 2nd coming, as if they were the one to win the game or the orange bowl mvp....

What does it mean to beat UGA" CPJ "it means they have to take down that dumb "we run this state sign". CLASSIC
Also, remember when a reporter after the uga game spoke of Tech finally winning a game at Sanford Stadium and he responded (paraphrase) "Well, I'm two and two at Sanford." The guy has a lot of weapons in his quiver that he saves for just the right moment.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer

To be fair, there are some SEC qbs who are starting again after being unable to start for an ACC school.;)

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I still love what he said a couple of weeks ago about guys getting the boot from other programs because of domestic violence/assault charges and transferring to other schools.