CPJ sez...

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
For the same reason many of you choose to remain anonymous, I need to do the same. I'm sorry to leave you curious. My world intersected with the Johnsons about a year after he came to Ga Tech. Let's say that my work is not football-related.

A friendship slowly evolved. In the tougher years, we really dug in even closer to lend support. Most Monday nights, for instance, you'll find us at the radio show in Midtown. We started that the week after the home loss to Middle Tennessee State. Wanted to put friendly faces in the audience. We kept on going because we enjoy it so much, though.

My wife and I enjoy our time with them, and wouldn't betray confidences for anything. When we are with them, sometimes we don't talk about football at all. More about life and family. Other times, when he gets started, the football stories may go on for hours. The tales from the recruiting trail are hilarious. They are generous and good people, you should know.

Following Georgia Tech football more closely, as a result, has become a passion that has added richness to our lives. So, with that said-- let the sound bites flow on!

Paul's helped me out a couple of times with different things. My association with him goes back nearly 20 years. He really is a good dude and can be riotously funny.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
What was Paul said after the 08 win in Athens? Some fans were yelling, "hey, coach, this ain't Citadel" and "this ain't Furman." Didn't he respond with, "yeah, we wouldn't have put up 45 on them!"?

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
@DrJacket:

Thanks for starting this thread as these comments are OUTSTANDING!! Appreciate the comments from everyone else on this thread too as these just make me chuckle any time I think about them and the context in which they were first uttered by CPJ!

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think some of his funniest moments are when he is bantering with Brandon on the call in show. Whether it is him critiquing Brandon's play call, or reading ads.
My favorite one may have been last season. Somehow they got off on a tangent about their jobs. Paul said, "I could do your job, but you couldn't do mine."

Brandon said, "Okay, during the commercial I'm going to diagram a play. Coach-- here's the spot to take us out to commercial. Go ahead and read it." So, he did. That was good for about 5 minutes of comedy when they came back. Brandon's play was....ummmm....lacking in some key details.

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
I am willing to bet that @DrJacket is not Deep Throat.

A few lines from All The President's Men, slightly edited, would make a great CPJ halftime speech...

Sit down, relax, have a Gatorade, then get right back up out there in 5 minutes. Nothing's riding on this except the conference, the Playoff, our top-10 ranking, the hearts of millions of Tech fans and the pride of all true academic institutions everywhere. Not that any of that matters, but if you guys f*** up again I'm going to get mad.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
PJ24_3.jpg

"I really like your effort. Keep up the good work." or something like that

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
My favorite one may have been last season. Somehow they got off on a tangent about their jobs. Paul said, "I could do your job, but you couldn't do mine."

Brandon said, "Okay, during the commercial I'm going to diagram a play. Coach-- here's the spot to take us out to commercial. Go ahead and read it." So, he did. That was good for about 5 minutes of comedy when they came back. Brandon's play was....ummmm....lacking in some key details.
He should have told Johnson that sure he could. All he had to remember was six plays.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
PJ once said he had some words for an official at halftime after a particularly bad call. They're running off the field and PJ's after him yelling "I'm right and you know I'm right and that's why you won't even look at me!" I think he was down 20-7 at the time and got down 27-7 in the third quarter.
Won it 51-34.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
A few lines from All The President's Men, slightly edited, would make a great CPJ halftime speech...

Sit down, relax, have a Gatorade, then get right back up out there in 5 minutes. Nothing's riding on this except the conference, the Playoff, our top-10 ranking, the hearts of millions of Tech fans and the pride of all true academic institutions everywhere. Not that any of that matters, but if you guys f*** up again I'm going to get mad.
After the Georgia game in '08, a reporter for the Chattanooga paper -- why he was covering GT I don't know -- wrote a delightful column that I saw linked in several places. But his column posited the halftime locker room talks by Richt and Johnson. Richt of course was calm and measured and confident and touchy-feely. Johnson, he wrote (remember, he is making this stuff up ... we think) ranted on the order of "If you don't go out there and play football you will never see your girlfriends, your families or friends, ever again. I will do things to them you don't want to hear about, so make up your minds." And he went on from there.) His was much funnier but you get the idea. I actually sent the guy an email congratulating him on the piece. He wrote back to ask if I could help him get a job. Serious.)

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
After the Georgia game in '08, a reporter for the Chattanooga paper -- why he was covering GT I don't know -- wrote a delightful column that I saw linked in several places. But his column posited the halftime locker room talks by Richt and Johnson. Richt of course was calm and measured and confident and touchy-feely. Johnson, he wrote (remember, he is making this stuff up ... we think) ranted on the order of "If you don't go out there and play football you will never see your girlfriends, your families or friends, ever again. I will do things to them you don't want to hear about, so make up your minds." And he went on from there.) His was much funnier but you get the idea. I actually sent the guy an email congratulating him on the piece. He wrote back to ask if I could help him get a job. Serious.)

Chattanooga covers the Mutts. So when Georgia plays Tech, Tech gets covered. FWIW, the Georgia beat writer and the sports editor emeritus at the Chattanooga paper are both PJ fans (the former SE and PJ have met and hit it off. Of course, they were both dipping Copenhagen back then, so that may have had something to do with it. Somebody was out of dip, somebody had some, yadda yadda yadda). They're actually both Auburn grads. Chattanooga's main sports columnist is an unabashed Kentucky hoops fanboy. Terrific writer, tho.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
If CPJ thinks a player is going to do well he says " he knows where to go". If he is forced to say something about how well somebody played he says "he made some plays".
I do not know what he says if you do not play well because it is likely not printable. But I believe as he says he has a personal relationship with each SA and they know what it means and how to take it. His relationship in that regard with the Press is still a work in progress. Its great to have a coach with ethics and personality. Like most of us raised in the South his wordsmith is somewhat unique.