CPJ needs to be fired

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I am in no means in favor of hiring Kiffin, but he was hamstrung from the start at USC by the NCAA sanctions. He was under a two year bowl ban and lost 30 scholarships over 3 years there. Add in his immaturity and it was a recipe for the disaster that ensued, but to be fair, his coaching wasn't really the reason that USC fell so far, so fast. The NCAA hammering them for the Reggie Bush saga is what crippled USC.
I think Lane would have turned Tennessee back around had he stayed

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
First of all I'll pass on the name calling ...
2nd, I am not on the "Fire CPJ" bandwagon
3rd, what is your opinion of the cause of the inconsistencies on the playing field. I have previously said I don't think it is all x's and o's or completely talent related.

I haven't called you a single name. I have, however, attacked some of your assertions. It's how a debate works. There are other areas that I tend to agree with you on. As far as inconsistency this year, let's look at these facts:

1. We started a new QB. We may have been spoiled by JeTs first year, but inconsistent performance is usually the norm with new QBs. It doesn't necessarily mean he's the wrong QB, just that hes a new QB, and has shown some inconsistency.

2. The OL, already lacking some depth, suffered a few injuries throughout the year, so we ended up with a walkon getting a start and some serious PT this year. OL issues hampered a good bit of our productivity this year.

3. Until the Duke game, our D was actually playing quite well. I have no clue why, without significant injuries, we struggled so much in the Duke game. uga doesn't shock me. They are a legitimately good team this year.

4. This same coaching staff won 11 games in 2014, 9 games in 2016, and even during the nightmare of 2015, managed to keep the games competitive, and actually took down a top 10 opponent. I doub't they all of a sudden forgot how to coach or motivate a team.

5. That leaves the players. They ultimately have to perform. For the most part, I think they did well, until the Duke game.

Let me expound on that last point. They came out strong in the UT game and lost a heartbreaker that ultimately came down to ST miscues. We win JAX ST, Pitt, UNC handily, and lose in a respectable effort to Clemson. Miami comes down to a miracle catch to beat us. We beat Wake, but lose to UVA on a last minute score. At this point, our team legitimately believes it should be 7-1. We come out strong at home and handle VT. I think at this point the guys really started buying into the "should be 8-1" hype and overlooked Duke. We honestly never had much chance to beat uga this year, so there is your 5-6 season. But think about this, our kicker hits on easy FG against UT, and we get one lucky bounce in the Miami game, then we are sitting at 7-4 right now. 7-4 would feel like we had a pretty decent season, all things considered, so I really struggle with the overarching theme on these boards that the wheels seem to be coming off and that the coaches all need to be canned. I understand that you don't hold to all of these positions, which is why I quoted the two, in my opinion, egregious comments out of your post, instead of merely replying and lumping it all together.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
This is interesting. Matt Luke just got hired as the Ole Miss head coach. His salary is about $3MM over the four year contract. Fine. What’s more interesting (to me, at least) is the pool for assistants and support. He has approximately $7MM to spend there. According to a December, 2016 AJC report, our assistants collectively earned $2.5MM. That number went up marginally when the assistants got $50,000 raises. Interestingly, that placed us last among the public schools in the conference.

But the larger, and more instructive, point here is that a lower to middle of the road SEC school has about double the money to spend on assistants as we do, and that doesn’t even touch the money for strength and conditioning and support staff. It’s one thing to gripe about the results, but it’s another to put up the investment required to play with the big boys. Even if Roof was let go, we’d need to hire someone who would accept less than the going rate at another school.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
This is interesting. Matt Luke just got hired as the Ole Miss head coach. His salary is about $3MM over the four year contract. Fine. What’s more interesting (to me, at least) is the pool for assistants and support. He has approximately $7MM to spend there. According to a December, 2016 AJC report, our assistants collectively earned $2.5MM. That number went up marginally when the assistants got $50,000 raises. Interestingly, that placed us last among the public schools in the conference.

But the larger, and more instructive, point here is that a lower to middle of the road SEC school has about double the money to spend on assistants as we do, and that doesn’t even touch the money for strength and conditioning and support staff. It’s one thing to gripe about the results, but it’s another to put up the investment required to play with the big boys. Even if Roof was let go, we’d need to hire someone who would accept less than the going rate at another school.

He did one hell of a good job coaching Ole Miss to a 6-6 record and beating a 7-5 Kentucky team and an 8-4 Miss State team.

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
Without having read through this whole thread, the only coach that Tech can get that I would support would be Ken Whisenhunt. Otherwise, all of the other names I've seen are just fantasy.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Without having read through this whole thread, the only coach that Tech can get that I would support would be Ken Whisenhunt. Otherwise, all of the other names I've seen are just fantasy.

Looks like he was at GT as a player when we had two one-win seasons in a row and he played with TStan. I didn’t realize until recently that the only team we beat in 1981 was #2 ranked Alabama. Anyway, even our attendance numbers at BDS would feel like a big crowd when compared what he sees at the Chargers’ StubHub Stadium (capacity 27,000).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crl85

Jolly Good Fellow
I want CPJ as our coach. Nevertheless if next year is a flop then I would hope Charlie strong is still at Usf and we would Give him a look.

He has succeeded as a head coach but also been burned by a factory. Might be someone who would win here and stay here.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Consider 90% of the guys Kiffin recruited wouldn't be here with him. Still want him? I wouldn't. Add to that, Kiffin is a job-hopper. No way he'd stay here if some low-end SEC school came calling.

EZPass Lane.
All i know is this, in his entire career he has had 1 losing season at all his stops and that was in the pros.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I want CPJ as our coach. Nevertheless if next year is a flop then I would hope Charlie strong is still at Usf and we would Give him a look.

He has succeeded as a head coach but also been burned by a factory. Might be someone who would win here and stay here.

Once before we made a hire of a coach that just finished a surprisingly good year at a sub par program. Many thought he looked like a bright new star. If he could raise that program to a winning season with a nice bowl win certainly he could elevate Tech proportionately. Bill Lewis.

Whenever we do replace CPJ (hopefully not for several years) you better hope the new hire has demonstrated a level of success for multiple years rather than one or two.

Strong may yet prove to be a great HC...I certainly think he's a good coach. But I think its highly debatable he'd be a certain success at Tech.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Once before we made a hire of a coach that just finished a surprisingly good year at a sub par program. Many thought he looked like a bright new star. If he could raise that program to a winning season with a nice bowl win certainly he could elevate Tech proportionately. Bill Lewis.

Whenever we do replace CPJ (hopefully not for several years) you better hope the new hire has demonstrated a level of success for multiple years rather than one or two.

Strong may yet prove to be a great HC...I certainly think he's a good coach. But I think its highly debatable he'd be a certain success at Tech.

Kliff Kingsbury of Texas Tech could be available very soon and he runs the same exciting offense that is run at Washington State.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

I think Charlie Strong would be a good HC for us, especially if we could get someone like Mark Helfrich as our OC.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
I haven't called you a single name. I have, however, attacked some of your assertions. It's how a debate works. There are other areas that I tend to agree with you on. As far as inconsistency this year, let's look at these facts:

1. We started a new QB. We may have been spoiled by JeTs first year, but inconsistent performance is usually the norm with new QBs. It doesn't necessarily mean he's the wrong QB, just that hes a new QB, and has shown some inconsistency.

2. The OL, already lacking some depth, suffered a few injuries throughout the year, so we ended up with a walkon getting a start and some serious PT this year. OL issues hampered a good bit of our productivity this year.

3. Until the Duke game, our D was actually playing quite well. I have no clue why, without significant injuries, we struggled so much in the Duke game. uga doesn't shock me. They are a legitimately good team this year.

4. This same coaching staff won 11 games in 2014, 9 games in 2016, and even during the nightmare of 2015, managed to keep the games competitive, and actually took down a top 10 opponent. I doub't they all of a sudden forgot how to coach or motivate a team.

5. That leaves the players. They ultimately have to perform. For the most part, I think they did well, until the Duke game.

Let me expound on that last point. They came out strong in the UT game and lost a heartbreaker that ultimately came down to ST miscues. We win JAX ST, Pitt, UNC handily, and lose in a respectable effort to Clemson. Miami comes down to a miracle catch to beat us. We beat Wake, but lose to UVA on a last minute score. At this point, our team legitimately believes it should be 7-1. We come out strong at home and handle VT. I think at this point the guys really started buying into the "should be 8-1" hype and overlooked Duke. We honestly never had much chance to beat uga this year, so there is your 5-6 season. But think about this, our kicker hits on easy FG against UT, and we get one lucky bounce in the Miami game, then we are sitting at 7-4 right now. 7-4 would feel like we had a pretty decent season, all things considered, so I really struggle with the overarching theme on these boards that the wheels seem to be coming off and that the coaches all need to be canned. I understand that you don't hold to all of these positions, which is why I quoted the two, in my opinion, egregious comments out of your post, instead of merely replying and lumping it all together.
I think the issue here is that the Tennessee game should never have been close, and the games against Duke and UVA should have been wins. Now, Duke did end up beating Wake, but for six games they couldn’t score on Paris Hilton, then they looked like the 2007 Patriots against us. That’s a problem. UVA was shutout by Virginia Tech and never had a problem against us. That’s a problem.

The games against Clemson and uga don’t bother me. When those schools have it together, we have no chance. But the Duke game was inexcusable. Ultimately, I’m of the belief that the coaches didn’t squeeze enough out of this team. Some of that is dumb luck, but the final drive against Miami was an embarrassment, and the failure to even show up at Duke is an indictment of them, too. I am not a “fire everyone” guy, and I tend to be extremely patient and forgiving, but the issues with the offensive line not knowing what to do and the defense not putting up a fight have gone on long enough. It’s time for Johnson to make the tough decisions to move Sewak (and West) and Roof.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

I want CPJ to stay. Only thing I saw lack of passes to the A-Backs this year. I think there was less than 12 passes Complete to them and something like 500 yards less than the last few years.
As for Strong I think he could do fine here he is a coach that Believes in Discipline and don't put up with crap, much like Ross was at Tech. Not sure what kind of offense he would run.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

Replacing Johnson -- whenever for whatever -- is not all that complicated really. Get the guy who can win just one game a week without alienating radio DJs, but if he does agree to apologize profusely and publicly, bloggers, message board experts (and acknowledge we all know more than him anyway), make every former player happy, satisfy the monied faction enough to make them turn loose of some of that money they allegedly have, win the ACC -- though we are not unreasonable, and every other year will be fine with us, at least initially -- agree to work for substantially less than market rates and actually be proud to show off his bottom ranking in ACC salaries, know that perfect strangers blog about you and demand you be fired though their reasons seem contradictory, figure out how to coach actual "student athletes," a concept he is not familiar with, be gentle, open, accessible, polite, nice, gracious and a bunch of other good stuff with the public, all the time, and win a NC within five years with an administration that apparently doesn't give a damn whether you win or not. Oh, and stop being hard on the players and smile all the time on the sideline. It looks better for TV. This is an image thing, you know.

What is the problem?