CPJ needs to be fired

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Now that some time has passed I am over the disastrous 2017 season. I am not on a “fire the coach bandwagon” that happen after every losing season.

However, I take some umbrage to the opinion that Tech is a hard school to recruit. Tech is a long way from being an engineering only school. Please look at the multitude of majors added to the curriculum in the past 20 years. Things have come a long way from when I was in school… you had engineering and IM. There is a degree in “Literature, Media, and Communication”. How about “Public Policy”. OK, so there is not an “Underwater Basket Weaving” major, but there are lots of options. There is a Liberal Arts college. Atlanta also has a lot to offer. And there are some actually females on campus.

I concede that budget restricts what can be done but I believe Stansbury has the Athletic Department on the right track and will move recruiting in the right direction. But what I would like to know is does Johnson do well in the living room with recruits and the parents? How well does he do closing the deal? To me, that is the bar that needs to be raised. How well does the recruiting process do in getting the few players that are on top of the recruiting list? How well does our staff do at identifying athletes that fit into Tech’s system? Again, this is college football, recruiting is king. If a program does not get recruiting right, we can b**** and moan all we want, but getting the right recruits can change a program.

Refrain from the fire the coach’s rant, and focus on recruiting. If Roof is better than Johnson in the living room, get him on the road.

I know the title of this thread is “CPJ needs to be fired”, but my opinion is to improve on what we have but, spend additional money and time on recruiting. Hire additional staff. Do whatever it takes to make Tech the envy of how to do recruiting right.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Now that some time has passed I am over the disastrous 2017 season. I am not on a “fire the coach bandwagon” that happen after every losing season.

However, I take some umbrage to the opinion that Tech is a hard school to recruit. Tech is a long way from being an engineering only school. Please look at the multitude of majors added to the curriculum in the past 20 years. Things have come a long way from when I was in school… you had engineering and IM. There is a degree in “Literature, Media, and Communication”. How about “Public Policy”. OK, so there is not an “Underwater Basket Weaving” major, but there are lots of options. There is a Liberal Arts college. Atlanta also has a lot to offer. And there are some actually females on campus.

I concede that budget restricts what can be done but I believe Stansbury has the Athletic Department on the right track and will move recruiting in the right direction. But what I would like to know is does Johnson do well in the living room with recruits and the parents? How well does he do closing the deal? To me, that is the bar that needs to be raised. How well does the recruiting process do in getting the few players that are on top of the recruiting list? How well does our staff do at identifying athletes that fit into Tech’s system? Again, this is college football, recruiting is king. If a program does not get recruiting right, we can b**** and moan all we want, but getting the right recruits can change a program.

Refrain from the fire the coach’s rant, and focus on recruiting. If Roof is better than Johnson in the living room, get him on the road.

I know the title of this thread is “CPJ needs to be fired”, but my opinion is to improve on what we have but, spend additional money and time on recruiting. Hire additional staff. Do whatever it takes to make Tech the envy of how to do recruiting right.

I agree with most of what you say, especially that (1) recruiting is our biggest deficiency and (2) it is possible to recruit at Tech better than we’ve done. The big question for me is whether CPJ, even with additional money, time, or whatever, will ever do the kind of recruiting that’s needed. You seem to be asking that question as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
okiemon, let's put a positive spin on this. Use the result of this season as an impetus to push Stansbury and the AD to hire recruiting staff and get Johnson to improve recruiting. I realize it is difficult to get 5 star recruits on a regular basis. But there are Calvin Johnson, and Refrigerator Movers and Shawn Jones and Joe Hamilton recruits out there. Don't settle for mediocrity. The Institute has a lot to offer. A poster previously brought up a theoretical conversation between Stansbury and Johnson. I would like the conversation to be, "Paul, you need to improve your recruiting. I am adding staff and budget. Get your butt in gear and go get a recruiting class that will make a difference! Your performance to date has been lackluster and you need improvement. " Who knows, it could happen.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
okiemon, let's put a positive spin on this. Use the result of this season as an impetus to push Stansbury and the AD to hire recruiting staff and get Johnson to improve recruiting. I realize it is difficult to get 5 star recruits on a regular basis. But there are Calvin Johnson, and Refrigerator Movers and Shawn Jones and Joe Hamilton recruits out there. Don't settle for mediocrity. The Institute has a lot to offer. A poster previously brought up a theoretical conversation between Stansbury and Johnson. I would like the conversation to be, "Paul, you need to improve your recruiting. I am adding staff and budget. Get your butt in gear and go get a recruiting class that will make a difference! Your performance to date has been lackluster and you need improvement. " Who knows, it could happen.
It's interesting how folks think this hypothetical conversation plays out.

If you are a "CPJ detractor", it's TStan telling CPJ to recruit better.

If you are a "CPJ supporter", it's CPJ telling TStan and the administration to provide him the support to recruit better.

My guess is the reality is somewhere in between, as I think you're suggesting in this post. The only thing publicly acknowledged is that CPJ has been clamoring for additional support staff for several years to no avail.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
It's interesting how folks think this hypothetical conversation plays out.

If you are a "CPJ detractor", it's TStan telling CPJ to recruit better.

If you are a "CPJ supporter", it's CPJ telling TStan and the administration to provide him the support to recruit better.

My guess is the reality is somewhere in between, as I think you're suggesting in this post. The only thing publicly acknowledged is that CPJ has been clamoring for additional support staff for several years to no avail.
What is pretty clear given the direction of the ACC and college football in general is that if Johnson does not get it Georgia Tech cannot compete for championships, even in outlier years. Tech is no longer Dodd's program with a HC and 3-4 assistants of some sort, one guy with a movie camera shooting the game, and graduates providing many of the recruiting prospects. Not a lot of people like where football has gone and abhor the ridiculous salaries paid to people who actually teach games, but it's there.