CPJ needs to be fired

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
No he wouldn't. He's just done well for Northwestern. That doesn't move the needle for me if we're talking coaching upgrades.
I doubt we could even pull him away if we wanted to. From Illinois. Played at Northwestern. Probably best coach Northwestern has had. He can probably be set up with no pressure lifetime deal at his alma mater.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Did it occur to anyone that to actually change the baseline expectations we, as fans, need to be better? Clemson poured money into their program, but before that happened they had 80,000 people in their building every week. And they did that for a loooooong time. Anyone telling you we’re just a coach or a locker room or a new DC away from being a heavyweight probably has oceanfront property in Arizona to sell you.

We don’t have people who want to do the work or put up the dollars to compete with them. That obviously doesn’t excuse the Duke game, but most of our losses are relatively easily explained. The fact that we’re generally competitive is nothing short of a miracle.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
He doesnt move the needle for me either, i think we should hire Lane Kiffin if we could get him.

Consider 90% of the guys Kiffin recruited wouldn't be here with him. Still want him? I wouldn't. Add to that, Kiffin is a job-hopper. No way he'd stay here if some low-end SEC school came calling.

EZPass Lane.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Did it occur to anyone that to actually change the baseline expectations we, as fans, need to be better? Clemson poured money into their program, but before that happened they had 80,000 people in their building every week. And they did that for a loooooong time. Anyone telling you we’re just a coach or a locker room or a new DC away from being a heavyweight probably has oceanfront property in Arizona to sell you.

We don’t have people who want to do the work or put up the dollars to compete with them. That obviously doesn’t excuse the Duke game, but most of our losses are relatively easily explained. The fact that we’re generally competitive is nothing short of a miracle.

I think CPJ’s offensive scheme is the reason we are generally competitive. It’s something the opponents don’t see every week and it’s hard to prepare for which gives us an advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

The question is do we want to sell our souls to the devil or not. If not, then adjust our expectations down.

Well, to be fair, the other question is will the NCAA actually go back to having student-athletes playing football. I just figured the answer to that would be an emphatic 'no'. That toothpaste has long been out of the tube.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
JMO, but “motivation” involves a lot more than a pre-game Speech (which it appears CPJ has abdicated to DMo. And I am not saying that is bad). But is not DMo a volunteer? Is he on the payroll?

What I am saying is, yes, we should be very thankful to have a great man like DMo working with our guys. But Motivation is much more and it is the responsibility of the HC. It includes Expectations / Responsibilities / Goals ( did we achieve one ream goal this year by the way?) / Acceptable Results and all other things that are a by product of proper Motivation.

We must be motivated to raise more $, and CPJ must be motivated to accomplish obviously what he must.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Well ... I am not piling all the blame on CPJ, but I do point out his shortcomings. This not a "poor argument", it is my opinion on a message board.
Yes, I have seen the DMo youtube and I agree but I'd like to see a little of that from our HC.
It might not be ALL on the coach or ALL on the players, but again IMO something is missing in the lockeroom and it is the coaches job to get the team ready to play.

To assert that CPJ "thinks he doesn't need to recruit because his offense is unstoppable if played perfectly" is asinine. To claim that he is a horrible motivator without offering any evidence is also asinine. You are entitled to your opinion on message boards, but by that same token, so am I, and my opinion is that your opinions are the baseless and flawed products of lazy thinking.

We can identify several areas of need within the GTAA, and over several threads, these have been offered up, but people keep coming back to the Fire CPJ bandwagon. The reason is that firing CPJ is the easy way to vent frustration, and restore a small bit of hope that our woes are coaching related. All it does is delay that inevitable day when we either pony up the resources to compete in big boy football or decide that where we are now id "good enough." I'm in favor of raising the money to compete, and will donate as I can and continue to support the team with season tickets.

glarshamarsha

Georgia Tech Fan
I agree. He needs to be fired. I think we need to reset, bring in a more pro style offense, with a younger coach. But, since we're still paying Hewitt and Gregory for basketball, it's not feasible. Right now, I think we need to fire the assistants...fire Roof, etc. I think that we might should slowly drift away from the option, then just not renew CPJ's contract when it's up after the 2020 season. That's three seasons to bring in new assistants and change the offense.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I agree. He needs to be fired. I think we need to reset, bring in a more pro style offense, with a younger coach. But, since we're still paying Hewitt and Gregory for basketball, it's not feasible. Right now, I think we need to fire the assistants...fire Roof, etc. I think that we might should slowly drift away from the option, then just not renew CPJ's contract when it's up after the 2020 season. That's three seasons to bring in new assistants and change the offense.
Are you ready for 2-3 win seasons for 3-4 years when a new offense is put in?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

And how, pray tell, are you going to change the offense without bringing in a new HC? I can guarantee you that CPJ would not agree to change offensive philosophy, and frankly, if he was willing to, we should fire him on the spot for being an idiot.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
To assert that CPJ "thinks he doesn't need to recruit because his offense is unstoppable if played perfectly" is asinine. To claim that he is a horrible motivator without offering any evidence is also asinine. You are entitled to your opinion on message boards, but by that same token, so am I, and my opinion is that your opinions are the baseless and flawed products of lazy thinking.

We can identify several areas of need within the GTAA, and over several threads, these have been offered up, but people keep coming back to the Fire CPJ bandwagon. The reason is that firing CPJ is the easy way to vent frustration, and restore a small bit of hope that our woes are coaching related. All it does is delay that inevitable day when we either pony up the resources to compete in big boy football or decide that where we are now id "good enough." I'm in favor of raising the money to compete, and will donate as I can and continue to support the team with season tickets.

First of all I'll pass on the name calling ...
2nd, I am not on the "Fire CPJ" bandwagon
3rd, what is your opinion of the cause of the inconsistencies on the playing field. I have previously said I don't think it is all x's and o's or completely talent related.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Kiffen failed at USC, marinate on that for a minute and then tell me how he would do at Tech? Hell CPJ beat him in a bowl game for pete's sake!

I am in no means in favor of hiring Kiffin, but he was hamstrung from the start at USC by the NCAA sanctions. He was under a two year bowl ban and lost 30 scholarships over 3 years there. Add in his immaturity and it was a recipe for the disaster that ensued, but to be fair, his coaching wasn't really the reason that USC fell so far, so fast. The NCAA hammering them for the Reggie Bush saga is what crippled USC.