CPJ needs to be fired

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Paul Johnson is a good football coach, and, IMO, a great fit for Tech, BUT he hasn't been given the resources he needs to win. During his tenure other ACC programs have been significantly 'upgraded.' We haven't been. We're next to last in the ACC with money allocated to football (only Wake is below us). I'm hoping Todd Stansbury will be the enabler here. Unless this changes, don't expect significant improvements - regardless of who's coaching.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Tough places to coach, not in any particular order, due to circumstances Beyond the Coaches Control.
Tennessee, Georgia Tech, Maryland and Kentucky. There are others of course.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
If you say so. Then the obvious: the name, please.
This is an older guy that I met at our tailgate on Saturday. I won't give up his name. I agree with the other posters here that it doesn't sit well that we have people trying to dictate the AA's moves with money. This was expressed to the guy by the folks at our tailgate.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I don't agree he needs to be fired, but Stansbury needs to step-in and address some of his shortcomings ...
He thinks he doesn't need to recruit because his offense is unstoppable if played perfectly ... well 18-21 year olds are rarely going to be perfect and it might work at the lower level but not here.
He's is not a motivator and it's up to him to get his players ready to play (away games and 2nd half blues). Dabo Swinney might not be a great x's and o's guy but his players will run through a brick wall for him.
Step 1 = Recruit (especially at QB)
Step 2 = Give him what he needs
Step 3 = Breath a little emotion and energy into the program
Step 4 = If he doesn't buy into it
Step 5 = Hire Charlie Strong ( a whole different topic, but I don't think he was given much of a chance at Texas and IMO going to turn into a great HC)

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
Duke,Northwestern,Tulane,Rice,California and Stanford are up there as well. David Shaw has done miraculous work at Stanford.
All of those places are located in fertile recruiting ground (except Northwestern), have majors they can hide athletes in (duke's sociology major been doing it for decades)and/or offer a wider variety of majors that appeal to a larger pool of prospects. Only NW would be a tougher job than GT.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I don't agree he needs to be fired, but Stansbury needs to step-in and address some of his shortcomings ...
He thinks he doesn't need to recruit because his offense is unstoppable if played perfectly ... well 18-21 year olds are rarely going to be perfect and it might work at the lower level but not here.
He's is not a motivator and it's up to him to get his players ready to play (away games and 2nd half blues). Dabo Swinney might not be a great x's and o's guy but his players will run through a brick wall for him.
Step 1 = Recruit (especially at QB)
Step 2 = Give him what he needs
Step 3 = Breath a little emotion and energy into the program
Step 4 = If he doesn't buy into it
Step 5 = Hire Charlie Strong ( a whole different topic, but I don't think he was given much of a chance at Texas and IMO going to turn into a great HC)
Pat Fitzgerald of Northwestern would be an awesome successor to Paul Johnson

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
We need a better passing game. We need a speed receiver. We will be bigger in the secondary next year. We need to get our kicks into the end zone consistently. Our perimeter blocking needs to improve. We need some depth on both OL and DL. OL had no way to rotate for tired players. Cooper looked banged up late in the season. We also need to acknowledge that our guys are real students. I was physically and mentally worn out toward the end of the quarter. I am sure they are. Could explain some of the late season swoon.
Most on the board would not disagree with this. These are some of the reasons we were 5-6, and even with this, two lousy plays away from being 7-4. But as Johnson, the notorious non-excuse maker, said, coudda or shoudda means diddly. The board serves as a wonderful sin-eater for all that anger, most of it boiling over at the Georgia debacle, though I was a lot more upset with the Duke fiasco. Duke we should have manhandled. Georgia had much better and many more better players; something had to go wrong with Georgia and right with us to win that one. And that is how it is going to be every year. As well as with Clemson, Miami and FSU. It doesn't take cheating to out-recruit GT, or "better recruiters". There is elitism on the board that wants to believe that a Tech recruiter merely shows up, spouts on about millionaires and starting salaries and the Atlanta skyline and and 4-5 star NFL hopefuls will flock to Atlanta. All that is needed is the right coach. And so talk about firing a coach who graduates his players, plays by the rules, has a roster that stays out of the police blotter, and is just off a nine-win bowl game season, with just one absolutely miserable season, 2015, when everybody from the QB to the team trainer were injured. Well, if you believe the AD and he is as good as his word, Johnson is going nowhere. If he is a liar, then possibly so. But for now, let's get over those NC pretensions and understand those 11-3 seasons are wonderful years, but they will be outliar years. For anybody.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
He thinks he doesn't need to recruit because his offense is unstoppable if played perfectly ...

This has to be one of the most ridiculous assertions that keeps popping up in these threads. The issue isn't CPJ's attitude, but the resources with which we work. We are currently woefully understaffed in our recruiting department, and that is a matter of funding, not desire.

He's is not a motivator and it's up to him to get his players ready to play

I've always heard that his players love him, and that his team, specifically DMo, do a good job of motivation. Do you have proof otherwise?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
That's not where I got it from. Sure you're joking though. This is the same guy that offered millions a while back to fire Gailey. The offer was not accepted and he was fired the next year if I recall correctly.
Okay, then might I say this: If one with more money than he can be trusted with offers "millions" to fire a coach, is it a one-time offer, or every year? Because a one-time fix is not a permanent solution. We'd have the same expenses next year as this year's millions fixed. Besides which, I think most of us are kind of put off by the idea that one guy with money can own a football team. We'd be like Oklahoma State pretty soon. Lots of wins, lousy reputation.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
This has to be one of the most ridiculous assertions that keeps popping up in these threads. The issue isn't CPJ's attitude, but the resources with which we work. We are currently woefully understaffed in our recruiting department, and that is a matter of funding, not desire.

I've always heard that his players love him, and that his team, specifically DMo, do a good job of motivation. Do you have proof otherwise?

No, just opinion based on what I've seen.
I remember a quote I read a couple of years ago that before a big game he made the comment ... "if they can't get fired up for this that's their problem"
I said this in another thread but IMO something is missing that is not x's and o's when "at times" these guys just look like they are not ready to play ...

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
No, just opinion based on what I've seen.
I remember a quote I read a couple of years ago that before a big game he made the comment ... "if they can't get fired up for this that's their problem"
I said this in another thread but IMO something is missing that is not x's and o's when "at times" these guys just look like they are not ready to play ...

That quote is valid. Go on youtube and listen to DMos pregame pep talks. If they can't get fired up after hearing one of those, it is, indeed, their problem.

Ultimately, a coach cannot play the game for his players. He can equip them and do his best to motivate them, and call plays to maximize their talents, but it is on the players to follow through. I am not saying CPJ hasn't made mistakes or bad play calls, as I have seen him do so, but it's ridiculous how we continue to pile all the blame on CPJ and then use poor arguments to bolster the case.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
My bad. You are right. The one offs are the norm. Sorry. Lol. 1994. Do you remember that year. Hmmm. I wonder why. Jeez dude. Classic tech person find the one example in 90 years to prove nothing.

Curry years. Typically better talent on D overall. A bit less on O imo but did have some very good running backs like Lavette and Mays. But compared to our rivals less talent overall every year.

Ross, better overall talent and probably the best balance of talent in all 3 phases I have seen in my life. Some outstanding O players at the skill positions. 90 was magical and the D improved that year with some studs on that side as well; M Coleman, Coleman Rudolph, Ken Swilling, Willy Clay. 91 we lost many of those stars and began to revert to the median.

Bill Lewis (sorry I had to)

O'Leary, defensive guru, managed to bring back Fridge an offensive guru. Had some great talent on O. Not so much on D. Not with any depth anyway.

Gailey, an offensive guru who brought in Tenuta. Talent skewed pretty heavily to D with the exception of Megatron and Choice. Those 2 didn't have a wealth of talent surrounding them.

CPJ. Talent heavy on O. Multiple DCs. Weak front 7s typically with at most one stud at a time any given year.

What's the consistent theme? Outside of 1990 Tech has struggled immensely to field a team laden with talent on O and D in any given year. There is always a lack of depth and typically one unit is skewed with more talent than the other.

We aren't a factory. When we succeed we do do in spite of that. Better coaching has allowed us to do better in this regard periodically.

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Unless and until we fix the funding piece, it's not going to get better, at least with any consistency - regardless of who's coaching. We are currently next to last (Wake is last) in the ACC with funds allocated to football.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
That quote is valid. Go on youtube and listen to DMos pregame pep talks. If they can't get fired up after hearing one of those, it is, indeed, their problem.

Ultimately, a coach cannot play the game for his players. He can equip them and do his best to motivate them, and call plays to maximize their talents, but it is on the players to follow through. I am not saying CPJ hasn't made mistakes or bad play calls, as I have seen him do so, but it's ridiculous how we continue to pile all the blame on CPJ and then use poor arguments to bolster the case.

Well ... I am not piling all the blame on CPJ, but I do point out his shortcomings. This not a "poor argument", it is my opinion on a message board.
Yes, I have seen the DMo youtube and I agree but I'd like to see a little of that from our HC.
It might not be ALL on the coach or ALL on the players, but again IMO something is missing in the lockeroom and it is the coaches job to get the team ready to play.