CPJ needs to be fired

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am sure Stansbury has had "the talk" with CPJ since Saturday, even if only to signal the need to have a much longer talk in the very near future. If I were the AD I would let Johnson know that his situation is tenuous and things need to improve or we will consider exercising the buyout next year. I would also tell him he should feel free to explore other openings with our full support.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I’m not sure if this was posted or not already (might be insider information). A donor has offered the program millions of dollars for CPJ and TStan to clean house and get some better coaches. If we want to compete we need to get better and more assistant coaches.
That "insider information" came from a now identified source: the GT Swarm message board.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Here are my observations from being at the game.
1. We need a speed receiver and not 2 posession guys at the same time so we can get more attention by the corners and a safety. They played us straight up today and other than the td had us covered. We need to force double coverage on at least one receiver every play.
2. Our CB's this year were too small. Ok speed but not blazing. We got juked and run over today by bigger guys.
3. We were beat by bigger and more physical guys. They manhandled us on both sides of the ball. They were big. Even Shamire didn't look that big today.
4. They didn't stack the box. They didn't need to. Our little backs couldn't block them. They had us outnumbered on the edge since we couldn't block them. We need more size. We just tried to outrun them and couldn't turn up field.
5. The difference in having 4* and 5* players was so obvious today. We were physically whipped today.
6. Passing is now necessary in football. Holding is allowed so better take advantage of it. How many holding calls on Duke or the mutts. I don't recall any.
7. Recruiting has got to improve. We need a high energy enthusiastic set of recruiters on the staff. And I mean really get with it like our BB coach. We have to be relentless. Not sure PJ has it in him. He just seems to want to call plays. Not sure he is fun to be around. That matters.

Enough said for now.
You were "at" which game?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I feel we owe PJ at least another year. GT is not an easy place to coach. He has run a competitive program and his players are graduating for the most part. Do I want more wins. Of course. I would like to see if he can make changes next year. What we did this year was not working that well and we lost some close games. I hope the kids that are commited will sign in December. If he can not develop a more effective passing game he will fall farther behind our competition. We don' have the dominant athletes to overpower our competition. We have to have a dynamic QB to be really effective on offense. We will next year. Bowl game not looking good with duke now with 6 wins. Too many ahead of us.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
I am sure Stansbury has had "the talk" with CPJ since Saturday, even if only to signal the need to have a much longer talk in the very near future. If I were the AD I would let Johnson know that his situation is tenuous and things need to improve or we will consider exercising the buyout next year. I would also tell him he should feel free to explore other openings with our full support.

I’m under the impression that TStan is a good manager/administrator, and what you suggest is the approach of a good manager.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I feel we owe PJ at least another year. GT is not an easy place to coach. He has run a competitive program and his players are graduating for the most part. Do I want more wins. Of course. I would like to see if he can make changes next year. What we did this year was not working that well and we lost some close games. I hope the kids that are commited will sign in December. If he can not develop a more effective passing game he will fall farther behind our competition. We don' have the dominant athletes to overpower our competition. We have to have a dynamic QB to be really effective on offense. We will next year. Bowl game not looking good with duke now with 6 wins. Too many ahead of us.

I appreciate what you are saying, but if we owe CPJ anything (outside of agreed to paycheck) it surely is not more time. That is not saying he should / should not be fired right now. But nobody can say he has not been given enough time.

And as it ties in, hoping to see if he can make changes next year. If he makes changes, in his mind that would be an admission that he was doing some things incorrectly. And he can not handle, or admit, that. What “changes”, as I believe you mean them to be, has he made in 10 years?

If Sewak is not cut loose, then that will be the answer to your question. We will not have to wait any longer.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
That "insider information" came from a now identified source: the GT Swarm message board.
That's not where I got it from. Sure you're joking though. This is the same guy that offered millions a while back to fire Gailey. The offer was not accepted and he was fired the next year if I recall correctly.

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
Not buying it and I hope it isn't true. We don't really need a Jimmy Haslem or Bobby Lowder runnin/ dictating our program. This donor should invest in a pro sports team if he wants that much control. If he's willing to give to GTAA, just do it and don't dictate. I can understand the hesitation though given that the GTAA's been a ****show for nearly 20 years now.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We need a better passing game. We need a speed receiver. We will be bigger in the secondary next year. We need to get our kicks into the end zone consistently. Our perimeter blocking needs to improve. We need some depth on both OL and DL. OL had no way to rotate for tired players. Cooper looked banged up late in the season. We also need to acknowledge that our guys are real students. I was physically and mentally worn out toward the end of the quarter. I am sure they are. Could explain some of the late season swoon.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

I don’t know that CPJ’s situation is tenuous. I have little to base this thought on, other than a few observations on my own and following this board, but I feel like “The Hill” is happy with football if it pays for itself and the other GT sports (excluding basketball). I think if the administration was interested in excelling at athletics we would see changes in academics that would help, like adding a few quality majors that aren’t so difficult. Adding quality programs/majors does take time and money but it is very doable, assuming we have the classroom space. I got out with an engineering degree but it was very difficult and time consuming and I can’t imagine balancing athletics with the academic rigor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
We need a better passing game. We need a speed receiver. We will be bigger in the secondary next year. We need to get our kicks into the end zone consistently. Our perimeter blocking needs to improve. We need some depth on both OL and DL. OL had no way to rotate for tired players. Cooper looked banged up late in the season. We also need to acknowledge that our guys are real students. I was physically and mentally worn out toward the end of the quarter. I am sure they are. Could explain some of the late season swoon.

There's no way our offensive line was even 80% for the last two games. Cooper, Bryan, Braun played almost every single snap all year long without much of a break. Others would get injured and come back to games where they had to take 100% of the snaps because there was no relief behind them. We really need to find a way to get these guys breathers and develop depth behind them. It always seemed like our offensive line would start the game off with decent push, but by the 2nd half that would be gone and I bet this has a lot to do with it.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Just going to leave this here: https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...d-graham-texas-am-arizona-state-coaches-fired

Firing CPJ would get us the same "WTF? Those f***ing idiots" reaction that Arizona State is getting right now.
Excellent article that DOES show that even the big boys (in big spending, in big staff, in easy admissions, in large number of majors, in big time supporters, in large alumni groups, etc) have not so good years. Other big boy programs that say hello in recent years are UCLA, Florida, Nebraska, Colorado, etc. This is not the year to change out PJ IMHO and this logic has nothing and I mean nothing to do w accepting mediocrity. Give TStan another year to implement his plan and we will be far better off in the long term.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
Excellent article that DOES show that even the big boys (in big spending, in big staff, in easy admissions, in large number of majors, in big time supporters, in large alumni groups, etc) have not so good years. Other big boy programs that say hello in recent years are UCLA, Florida, Nebraska, Colorado, etc. This is not the year to change out PJ IMHO and this logic has nothing and I mean nothing to do w accepting mediocrity. Give TStan another year to implement his plan and we will be far better off in the long term.
Yep.

For the tl;dr crowd, the idea of the article is "if you have a good coach that is plateauing/having a "reset" year, maybe analyze the program and fix that stuff before trying to fire your way out of it".

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Just going to leave this here: https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...d-graham-texas-am-arizona-state-coaches-fired

Firing CPJ would get us the same "WTF? Those f***ing idiots" reaction that Arizona State is getting right now.

Yep. I can understand A&M because they were losing players constantly and A&M has been dropping buttloads of cash on that program but Arizona State is just dumb. Todd Graham is a good coach who just hired a very good DC to turn his abysmal defense around. They were on their way back up.