CPJ Comments on Contract Extension

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
"and how he treats the program"??? WTH is that supposed to mean? And yes, I AM serious.

Well, since I attend am a season ticket holder, and the fans I sit with and tailgate with are all supporters of CPJ, I am guessing that @Gold1 and I cancel each other out. Now, we need to see who else weighs in and we can get an unscientific consensus going...

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
There are lies, damn lies, and statistics. I'm pretty sure his assertion falls in one of the first two categories....
Remember the astonishing revelation from Westmoreland's Vietnam body count, when it was added up to reveal more dead that were in the N. Viet army? That was one of the first two for certain.

GTFLETCH

Banned
It's not a super long contract (5 years), but some might still ask why? The answers are more obvious than you might think ...

Only the legendary Bobby Dodd won more games in his first 10 seasons on The Flats (82) than Johnson's 75. Johnson's 75 victories rank fourth in Georgia Tech history overall, behind only Dodd (165 - 1945-66), William Alexander (134 - 1920-44) and John Heisman (102 - 1904-19) - all members of the College Football Hall of Fame. Johnson's .581 winning percentage is also the fourth-highest in school history (min. two seasons), behind only Heisman (.764), Dodd (.713) and George O'Leary (.634).

Other achievements from Johnson's tenure on The Flats include:

* Georgia Tech has finished 1st or 2nd in the ACC Coastal Division six times in his 10 seasons as head coach - the only other ACC teams to finish first or second in their division as many times in the last 10 seasons are Clemson (8), Florida State (7) and Virginia Tech (7);
* among Georgia Tech's closest academic peers at the Power 5 level - Duke, Notre Dame, Northwestern, Purdue, Stanford and Vanderbilt - only Stanford (9) has played in more bowl games over the last 10 seasons than the Yellow Jackets (8);
* at least nine wins four times in 10 seasons - prior to his arrival, Georgia Tech had just seven nine-win seasons in the previous 51 years;
* two Orange Bowl berths under Johnson (2009, 2014), the program's first appearances in a major bowl since the 1966 season;
* current NCAA Graduation Success Rate (GSR) of 82 percent is an all-time high for the program. Prior to Johnson's arrival on The Flats, the football program's GSR had dipped as low as 48 percent.All impressive achievements, IMO. Here's the kicker:
Overall, Johnson is 182-93 (.662) in 21 seasons as a head coach, including ultra-successful stints at Georgia Southern (1997-2001, 62-10 record) and Navy (2002-07, 45-29 record). His 182 career victories rank fourth among all active NCAA Division I FBS head coaches, behind only Notre Dame's Brian Kelly, Alabama's Nick Saban and Kansas State's Bill Snyder.SOLD. Johnson may not ever get the Yellow Jackets into the playoffs... but what other coach would?

Link
http://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2018/04/why-gt-extended-cpj.html

It's not a super long contract (5 years), but some might still ask why? The answers are more obvious than you might think ...

Only the legendary Bobby Dodd won more games in his first 10 seasons on The Flats (82) than Johnson's 75. Johnson's 75 victories rank fourth in Georgia Tech history overall, behind only Dodd (165 - 1945-66), William Alexander (134 - 1920-44) and John Heisman (102 - 1904-19) - all members of the College Football Hall of Fame. Johnson's .581 winning percentage is also the fourth-highest in school history (min. two seasons), behind only Heisman (.764), Dodd (.713) and George O'Leary (.634).

Other achievements from Johnson's tenure on The Flats include:

* Georgia Tech has finished 1st or 2nd in the ACC Coastal Division six times in his 10 seasons as head coach - the only other ACC teams to finish first or second in their division as many times in the last 10 seasons are Clemson (8), Florida State (7) and Virginia Tech (7);
* among Georgia Tech's closest academic peers at the Power 5 level - Duke, Notre Dame, Northwestern, Purdue, Stanford and Vanderbilt - only Stanford (9) has played in more bowl games over the last 10 seasons than the Yellow Jackets (8);
* at least nine wins four times in 10 seasons - prior to his arrival, Georgia Tech had just seven nine-win seasons in the previous 51 years;
* two Orange Bowl berths under Johnson (2009, 2014), the program's first appearances in a major bowl since the 1966 season;
* current NCAA Graduation Success Rate (GSR) of 82 percent is an all-time high for the program. Prior to Johnson's arrival on The Flats, the football program's GSR had dipped as low as 48 percent.All impressive achievements, IMO. Here's the kicker:
Overall, Johnson is 182-93 (.662) in 21 seasons as a head coach, including ultra-successful stints at Georgia Southern (1997-2001, 62-10 record) and Navy (2002-07, 45-29 record). His 182 career victories rank fourth among all active NCAA Division I FBS head coaches, behind only Notre Dame's Brian Kelly, Alabama's Nick Saban and Kansas State's Bill Snyder.SOLD. Johnson may not ever get the Yellow Jackets into the playoffs... but what other coach would?

Link
http://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2018/04/why-gt-extended-cpj.html
And THAT, Gold1 is how Johnson has treated the program.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
He treats the media just like any other coach does. If they show him a modicum of respect, he shows the same to them in return. And that's the case with just about anybody who has to face the media; not just coaches.
You can't be serious. We are in the city of ATLANTA where you need to be good with the media and CPJ still acts like an old cremudgeion. It's definitely one of Paul's weaknesses

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Well, since I attend am a season ticket holder, and the fans I sit with and tailgate with are all supporters of CPJ, I am guessing that @Gold1 and I cancel each other out. Now, we need to see who else weighs in and we can get an unscientific consensus going...
I get 3 season tickets for me and my daughter the other seat is because I'm big and want room . sizethatorder had me included but you can add my daughter we like CPJ . And because I get an extra ticket I should count as 1 1/2 :)

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
No other coach has coached for 10 seasons. THAT is a cherry picked stat

I’ve tried to listen to your logic, but I still can’t understand why you think two 9-win seasons, two 11 win seasons, 3 acc title game appearances, 1 acc title and 3 wins over ugag in 10 years is indefensible and unworthy of some job security. You have nothing but opinion, which to be fair, is what you’re up against many times on this board, as well. But you’ve been given statistics, historical records, logic regarding recruiting benefits from coach job security, and you haven’t budged on your assertion that 90% of GT fans hate Paul Johnson.

You are approaching troll status.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I’ve tried to listen to your logic, but I still can’t understand why you think two 9-win seasons, two 11 win seasons, 3 acc title game appearances, 1 acc title and 3 wins over ugag in 10 years is indefensible and unworthy of some job security. You have nothing but opinion, which to be fair, is what you’re up against many times on this board, as well. But you’ve been given statistics, historical records, logic regarding recruiting benefits from coach job security, and you haven’t budged on your assertion that 90% of GT fans hate Paul Johnson.

You are approaching troll status.

Approaching?

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
That’s fine but to say teams running from the gun do it poorly is an outright lie. I don’t know what college football he could be watching. That said, GT running their offense from center is fine, I just don’t see how it makes much since from 3 & 15. With a QB who is 5’10. That’s just ridiculous to me. That’s just basically giving up a down.
It's definitely been a weakness for Clemson.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
You can't be serious. We are in the city of ATLANTA where you need to be good with the media and CPJ still acts like an old cremudgeion. It's definitely one of Paul's weaknesses

CPJ's relationship with the media, prior to coming to Atlanta, was very good, and he hasn't changed his personality and demeanor from those days. A lot of what is taken as his brusque attitude with the ATL media can probably be traced back to that "gotcha" style interview with Chernoff several years ago. Plus, Shapiro, on the flagship station then, was no fan of PJ or the offense.
He's been very accommodating to out of town media. He's gone on the air with a Chattanooga station several times and those exchanges have been good.
Since there's only one paper covering Tech on any kind of regular basis, if Ken does something to irritate him (like going around his back to get injury information, as has been reported), well, that's going to come across.
One thing KQ's videos and the ramblinwrecktube videos don't show is PJ's interaction with the media before and after the camera. You see sometimes there is some laughter as they start the post practice presser and we've seen PJ take the needle out, in a fun way, with reporters during his weekly press conference.
PJ is perhaps more honest with the press than any other coach. Bradley is a **** and it comes across in his columns, but Schultz, who will look askance at what PJ does, respects him and I think Schultz enjoys talking to him ... particularly off the record.
The other side of the coin is this ... Atlanta media, for the most part, is a bad joke. One paper, with shrinking circulation and just one staffer assigned to cover a P5 conference school in town. TV stations that can't wait to suckle Georgia's teats. An absolutely abysmal collection of sports talk radio boobs. There are some digital media outlets and frankly, as a fan, you might be better served to visit them.
The Athletic, a sports website, is said to be expanding into every city with a professional sports presence. But I don't think they'll be covering much in the way of collegiate sports, if they come to Atlanta. And The Athletic is loading up on some very well respected sports writers in their current and announced markets.

CPJ's relationship with the media, prior to coming to Atlanta, was very good, and he hasn't changed his personality and demeanor from those days. A lot of what is taken as his brusque attitude with the ATL media can probably be traced back to that "gotcha" style interview with Chernoff several years ago. Plus, Shapiro, on the flagship station then, was no fan of PJ or the offense.
He's been very accommodating to out of town media. He's gone on the air with a Chattanooga station several times and those exchanges have been good.
Since there's only one paper covering Tech on any kind of regular basis, if Ken does something to irritate him (like going around his back to get injury information, as has been reported), well, that's going to come across.
One thing KQ's videos and the ramblinwrecktube videos don't show is PJ's interaction with the media before and after the camera. You see sometimes there is some laughter as they start the post practice presser and we've seen PJ take the needle out, in a fun way, with reporters during his weekly press conference.
PJ is perhaps more honest with the press than any other coach. Bradley is a **** and it comes across in his columns, but Schultz, who will look askance at what PJ does, respects him and I think Schultz enjoys talking to him ... particularly off the record.
The other side of the coin is this ... Atlanta media, for the most part, is a bad joke. One paper, with shrinking circulation and just one staffer assigned to cover a P5 conference school in town. TV stations that can't wait to suckle Georgia's teats. An absolutely abysmal collection of sports talk radio boobs. There are some digital media outlets and frankly, as a fan, you might be better served to visit them.
The Athletic, a sports website, is said to be expanding into every city with a professional sports presence. But I don't think they'll be covering much in the way of collegiate sports, if they come to Atlanta. And The Athletic is loading up on some very well respected sports writers in their current and announced markets.
I can't like that enough. You hit the nail on the head. I have never seen or heard Johnson get short or "curmudgeonly" (NOTE: Gold1; that's how you spell the word), with any RESPECTED media person. Some of the halftime interviews on TV broadcasts may seem brusque, but let's face it: he wants and needs to get to the locker room as soon as possible, so he says his piece and moves on.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
You do realize, don't you, that getting information is the reporter's job, and he doesn't answer to Johnson? "Behind his back" may assign some sinister act, but getting information from somebody else is hardly devious. The Atlanta reporter is not, however devoutly he may wish it, on Johnson's team.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
You do realize, don't you, that getting information is the reporter's job, and he doesn't answer to Johnson? "Behind his back" may assign some sinister act, but getting information from somebody else is hardly devious. The Atlanta reporter is not, however devoutly he may wish it, on Johnson's team.
True but said reporter and everyone else should realize he's burned a bridge with CPJ.