CPJ Comments on Contract Extension

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
T stan is all in on Coach with big extension that is not based on last 3 years.

He must really like the type defense Woody brings.
Frankly just not true. This isn’t a big extension this is a push the current contract out a few years to prevent negative recruiting. Coaches get these extensions literally all the time and some get fired the next year.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Frankly just not true. This isn’t a big extension this is a push the current contract out a few years to prevent negative recruiting. Coaches get these extensions literally all the time and some get fired the next year.

Imo, even though last 3 are not good coach deserves a chance to finish strong.

i say T stan is all in for strong.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I notice that 4 of the top five run from under center.

Cause they all run the same “triple option” offense, one team barely passes at all.
Ohio St is a rushing team shotgun spread.
Oregon is a rushing team shotgun spread.
Central Florida is a rushing team shotgun spread.
New Mexico is a rushing team shotgun spread.
Auburn is a rushing team shotgun spread.
Arizona was a rushing team shotgun spread.
Mississippi St is a rushing team shotgun spread.
South Florida is a rushing team shotgun spread.
All RUSHING teams that are extremely effective running the ball out the gun. Guess what, they use the forward pass more effectively too.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Cause they all run the same “triple option” offense, one team barely passes at all.
All RUSHING teams that are extremely effective running the ball out the gun. Guess what, they use the forward pass more effectively too.

New Mexico is a shotgun veer actually, or they were anyway debasse is now at georgia southern.

The gun is not some magic formation though and the west coast passing offense is designed to be run under center ( thats why you see a lot of under center in the nfl).

heres what runnign what we do from under center does for us. A bad mesh read is a no gain or 1 yard loss. When you are in the gun a bad mesh read is a 6 yard loss.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
New Mexico is a shotgun veer actually, or they were anyway debasse is now at georgia southern.

The gun is not some magic formation though and the west coast passing offense is designed to be run under center ( thats why you see a lot of under center in the nfl).

heres what runnign what we do from under center does for us. A bad mesh read is a no gain or 1 yard loss. When you are in the gun a bad mesh read is a 6 yard loss.

That’s fine but to say teams running from the gun do it poorly is an outright lie. I don’t know what college football he could be watching. That said, GT running their offense from center is fine, I just don’t see how it makes much since from 3 & 15. With a QB who is 5’10. That’s just ridiculous to me. That’s just basically giving up a down.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
That’s fine but to say teams running from the gun do it poorly is an outright lie. I don’t know what college football he could be watching. That said, GT running their offense from center is fine, I just don’t see how it makes much since from 3 & 15. With a QB who is 5’10. That’s just ridiculous to me. That’s just basically giving up a down.
When we had Dwyer, we frequently ran a delayed draw from under center with a good amount of success. With Justin, we ran quite a few qb draws from under center with a good amount of success, too.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

I cringe when we're in 3rd - 15 and everyone knows we're passing....but in fairness, not many times will any team have success on 3rd and 15.

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2013/5/7/4303984/college-football-third-down-percentages

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
That’s fine but to say teams running from the gun do it poorly is an outright lie.

The flip side of this is watching a shotgun team on the goal line line up in the Gun. Sure its "what they do", but it adds five yards to the distance to go and completely takes away the threat of the QB sneak.

PJ's teams are pretty much money on the goal line minus fumbles.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The flip side of this is watching a shotgun team on the goal line line up in the Gun. Sure its "what they do", but it adds five yards to the distance to go and completely takes away the threat of the QB sneak.

PJ's teams are pretty much money on the goal line minus fumbles.
Similarly, I always chuckle when I see a shotgun team go for it on 4th and inches. From shotgun, they still have to get 3 yards.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

Brad's td against VT was on a 3rd and 19. Being under center actually forces the ends to still play disciplined and read option first which when we aren't going play action actually gives our qb a little extra time. Running under center also opens up draw lanes a bit better because of read and bail it forces the backers to do when they realize it is a pass. Drew brees run from under center a lot even in long yardage situations because have rolls and such open up passing lanes for the shorter QB to throw into.

The falcons record setting year also did a lot of throws form undercenter off of play action even on third down.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Brad's td against VT was on a 3rd and 19. Being under center actually forces the ends to still play disciplined and read option first which when we aren't going play action actually gives our qb a little extra time. Running under center also opens up draw lanes a bit better because of read and bail it forces the backers to do when they realize it is a pass. Drew brees run from under center a lot even in long yardage situations because have rolls and such open up passing lanes for the shorter QB to throw into.

The falcons record setting year also did a lot of throws form undercenter off of play action even on third down.

Outliers. Situational. Not the norm in all of football.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
"I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bi-focals!"

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow

Those stats also include field goals made as a red zone score, which really just means you had a half-decent kicker and didn't turn the ball over. For example, Wake Forest kicked 18 field goals in the red zone. Take that away, and they only converted a touchdown on 63% of their red zone attempts, good for 54th in the nation. Tech is at 72%, good for 15th in the nation. Guess who's number 1? Army.

It's all situational and red zone offense can be a meaningless stat anyways (For example: Georgia Tech had a 100% RZ scoring efficiency in the final game of the season against Georgia)

Also...we were 101st in 4th down conversions last year? Wow.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/700

EDIT: Anyone know how to upload a csv file...other than hosting it somewhere else?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

I like under center better, but on the other hand I am not sure citing the NFL as a template is a good idea. Good players, bad game.