CPJ Comments on Contract Extension

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
I HATE those losses to Duke, but I also hated some of Ross' losses while he was here, and especially the absurd tie with UNC in 1990. S**t happens, but two Orange Bowls, with one win, after not having played in a major bowl since 1966, plus all the other positives previously listed by others, FAR OUTWEIGH those three losses. BTW, if you don't know a word, then don't rely on "auto correct" to spell it for you. LOOK IT UP.
Our football program is now one big curmudgeon.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
And those 4 years include going 3-9 and 5-6. Would love to see you respond to this other than saying CPJ is the greatest of all time

O'leary coached 7 years

6-5 no bowl

5-6 no bowl

7-5 bowl win

10-2 bowl win heisman runner up tie ACC title

8-4 bowl loss

9-3 bowl loss

7-5 no bowl

oleary record 52-30 did not go bowling 3 times 1 split title no major bowls

CPJs First seven years

9-4 bowl loss (-1 win for fcs team oleary didn't have 8-4)

11-3 Acc Championship Orange Bowl Loss (10-3 if you subtract 1 win for fcs team oleary didn't have 9-3 if you subtract the championship game win that oleary didn't have to play

6-7 bowl loss

8-5 bowl loss

7-7 bowl win acc championship appearance because miami and unc are cheaters ( 7-6 if you subtract loss for game oleary couldn't have played)

7-6 bowl loss

11-3 Acc runner up to CFP bound fsu orange bowl win (subtract 1 loss in acc championship game as oleary never had ot play one

So in cpjs first 7 years he had a raw record of 59-35 ( adjusted record 56-33 ) 1 title three appearances 2 major bowls 1-1 record. never missed a bowl

in the first 7 year stretch CPJ did more than o'leary did 5 more losses raw ( 3 more adjusted) and 7 more wins ( 4 adjusted)

I even left in some of the fcs teams on because o leary would have got the same scheduling becaus ein years like 2010 and 2011 we wouldn't have been in a position to get the bowl loss without them thus makes it a wash.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
O'leary coached 7 years

6-5 no bowl

5-6 no bowl

7-5 bowl win

8-4 bowl loss

9-3 bowl loss

7-5 no bowl

CPJs First seven years

11-3 Acc Championship Orange Bowl Loss (10-3 if you subtract 1 win for fcs team oleary didn't have 9-3 if you subtract the championship game win that oleary didn't have to play

6-7 bowl loss

8-5 bowl loss

7-7 bowl win acc championship appearance because miami and unc are cheaters ( 7-6 if you subtract loss for game oleary couldn't have played)

7-6 bowl loss

11-3 Acc runner up to CFP bound fsu orange bowl win (subtract 1 loss in acc championship game as oleary never had ot play one

So in cpjs first 7 years he had a raw record of 59-35 ( adjusted record 56-33 ) 1 title three appearances 2 major bowls 1-1 record. never missed a bowl

in the first 7 year stretch CPJ did more than o'leary did 5 more losses raw ( 3 more adjusted) and 7 more wins ( 4 adjusted)

I even left in some of the fcs teams on because o leary would have got the same scheduling becaus ein years like 2010 and 2011 we wouldn't have been in a position to get the bowl loss without them thus makes it a wash.
Nobody is arguing Oleary vs CPJ

GTFLETCH

Banned
O'leary coached 7 years

6-5 no bowl

5-6 no bowl

7-5 bowl win

8-4 bowl loss

9-3 bowl loss

7-5 no bowl

CPJs First seven years

6-7 bowl loss

8-5 bowl loss

7-6 bowl loss

The only thing you left out was that CPJ has had the APR to answer for while O'leary did not and Oleary took over a train wreck while CPJ took over a program that could win 7 games and make bowl games...

I am not sure what is more impressive What O'leary did after taking over a 1-10 Bill lewis team and winning 6 games and losing a bowl game... Or CPJ taking over a 7-6 Chan Gailey team and winning 9 games and getting losing out in the Peach Bowl...

I think Oleary and Johnson teams have been good for our program, who is better, not sure... O'leary left for ND, CPJ did not leave for Tenn.... this debate can go on and on...

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I am a huge CPJ fan. For someone to say that 90% of our fans do not like CPJ is absurd. I wonder what kind of fans you hang with. Must be a very negative sect and I doubt very large, or supportive of the program, as in season ticket holders.

I am hoping you were asking this question of the OP. The crowd I hang with are fans of CPJ and generally good people, though one of them is very old and curmudgeonly... :ROFLMAO:

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
All this debate over who here supports CPJ is moot. TStan is concerned with winning games and keeping donations coming into the GTAA. As long as the big donors keep supporting CPJ, no change will be made any time soon. If you want your opinion heard seriously, you have to grease the ears of the listeners with large cash donations. I know my pittance, comparatively, to the A-T fund isn't getting my opinion heard at any actionable level. I can be a message board hero all I want, but until I put some serious money where my mouth is, no one in the GTAA really cares what I think.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I consider myself probably one of CPJ's biggest supporters on this site and I never have said or even thought anything about CPJ being the greatest of all time here. I mean after 2014 I advocated for if he continued on that path we should build a statue for him but that had some conditions that we haven't met.

Instead of seeing us "CPJ Bias" folks as saying he's the best of all time you should see it as us saying "He's a great fit for us right now"

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Somebody mentioned FEI
To be fair here, Clemson was "only" #21 in offensive FEI last season. Who was #23? GT.

Okay, you prompted me to look at FEI for the first time in a while. I was surprised that our offensive FEI ranking was so high.

So, I looked at the Defensive FEI rankings of some of our opponents:
Clemson #1
georgie #5
vpi #11
d'oh U #14

Letting Duke, who averaged 27 pts/game, score 43 on us and uva, who averaged 23ppg, score 40, was ridiculous.

Two More 2017 Defensive FEI rankings:
GT #63
App St #23

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
CPJ's relationship with the media, prior to coming to Atlanta, was very good, and he hasn't changed his personality and demeanor from those days. A lot of what is taken as his brusque attitude with the ATL media can probably be traced back to that "gotcha" style interview with Chernoff several years ago. Plus, Shapiro, on the flagship station then, was no fan of PJ or the offense.
He's been very accommodating to out of town media. He's gone on the air with a Chattanooga station several times and those exchanges have been good.
Since there's only one paper covering Tech on any kind of regular basis, if Ken does something to irritate him (like going around his back to get injury information, as has been reported), well, that's going to come across.
One thing KQ's videos and the ramblinwrecktube videos don't show is PJ's interaction with the media before and after the camera. You see sometimes there is some laughter as they start the post practice presser and we've seen PJ take the needle out, in a fun way, with reporters during his weekly press conference.
PJ is perhaps more honest with the press than any other coach. Bradley is a **** and it comes across in his columns, but Schultz, who will look askance at what PJ does, respects him and I think Schultz enjoys talking to him ... particularly off the record.
The other side of the coin is this ... Atlanta media, for the most part, is a bad joke. One paper, with shrinking circulation and just one staffer assigned to cover a P5 conference school in town. TV stations that can't wait to suckle Georgia's teats. An absolutely abysmal collection of sports talk radio boobs. There are some digital media outlets and frankly, as a fan, you might be better served to visit them.
The Athletic, a sports website, is said to be expanding into every city with a professional sports presence. But I don't think they'll be covering much in the way of collegiate sports, if they come to Atlanta. And The Athletic is loading up on some very well respected sports writers in their current and announced markets.
He's also been great on Sirius. I've heard him with Kannell before and Mark Packer as well. They've both said really nice things about the job he's done. You nailed it with this one, @swampsting