CPJ Comments on Contract Extension

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
True but said reporter and everyone else should realize he's burned a bridge with CPJ.
I guess the point is that -- I don't think anyway -- that a reporter should be depending upon a bridge to any official source. Goodness, the ball coach has enough on his hands coaching a football team without trying to coach the media. (I know, I know. In Tuscaloosa the paper doesn't even print without Saban's okay, and I am not sure they even have a newspaper in Clemson. I do recall they lost a recruit once because he didn't think they had a Chic-fil-A, an oversight I betcha Dabo makes sure never happens again.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
You don't know what homer newspapers are until you read the Durham NC papers for Duke and UNC. The raleigh paper has covered the UNC fake classes but they tend to bend toward NCSU. overall even they are not negative toward any of the NC schools. The AJC is so slanted against GT I don' visit their website anymore and sure not going to pay for it.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
I guess the point is that -- I don't think anyway -- that a reporter should be depending upon a bridge to any official source. Goodness, the ball coach has enough on his hands coaching a football team without trying to coach the media. (I know, I know. In Tuscaloosa the paper doesn't even print without Saban's okay, and I am not sure they even have a newspaper in Clemson. I do recall they lost a recruit once because he didn't think they had a Chic-fil-A, an oversight I betcha Dabo makes sure never happens again.
I wouldn't expect a CPJ to coach the media either. But, if Ken is going to disrespect the head coach by going behind his back because he didn't like or accept CPJ's answer then Ken and all of us fans should not expect CPJ to show any respect to Ken or to be "nice" to Ken. Anyone using CPJ's attitude toward Ken to knock CPJ is using the situation to show their bias against CPJ.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Coach Johnson does not seem to like these after practice press interviews. He doesn't do himself any favors by his dislike of them. It is never a good idea to get off on the wrong side of the guy with the microphone or a reporter. I am always interested in what he has to say and I wish coach would realize how important it is to stay connected with his fan base. I enjoy those press interviews even though most are very repetitive.

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
You don't know what homer newspapers are until you read the Durham NC papers for Duke and UNC. The raleigh paper has covered the UNC fake classes but they tend to bend toward NCSU. overall even they are not negative toward any of the NC schools. The AJC is so slanted against GT I don' visit their website anymore and sure not going to pay for it.
I read the Raleigh paper on line frequently, and IMO they are definitely pro-UNC (I think most State fans would agree). Keep in mind that all three schools, Carolina, Duke and State, are all within a tight few mile radius of each other, so there is effectively no real single home town team.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
You do realize, don't you, that getting information is the reporter's job, and he doesn't answer to Johnson? "Behind his back" may assign some sinister act, but getting information from somebody else is hardly devious. The Atlanta reporter is not, however devoutly he may wish it, on Johnson's team.
Said reporter is the Beat Writer for the school. Said reporter was told that there wouldn't be discussions of player injuries. Said reporter then went directly to an assistant coach and asked the same question about injuries he was told wouldn't be commented on. Said reporter then reported on the injured players. So, the relationship's been a little tenuous since.

Of course this is all hearsay.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
CPJ's relationship with the media, prior to coming to Atlanta, was very good, and he hasn't changed his personality and demeanor from those days. A lot of what is taken as his brusque attitude with the ATL media can probably be traced back to that "gotcha" style interview with Chernoff several years ago. Plus, Shapiro, on the flagship station then, was no fan of PJ or the offense.
He's been very accommodating to out of town media. He's gone on the air with a Chattanooga station several times and those exchanges have been good.
Since there's only one paper covering Tech on any kind of regular basis, if Ken does something to irritate him (like going around his back to get injury information, as has been reported), well, that's going to come across.
One thing KQ's videos and the ramblinwrecktube videos don't show is PJ's interaction with the media before and after the camera. You see sometimes there is some laughter as they start the post practice presser and we've seen PJ take the needle out, in a fun way, with reporters during his weekly press conference.
PJ is perhaps more honest with the press than any other coach. Bradley is a **** and it comes across in his columns, but Schultz, who will look askance at what PJ does, respects him and I think Schultz enjoys talking to him ... particularly off the record.
The other side of the coin is this ... Atlanta media, for the most part, is a bad joke. One paper, with shrinking circulation and just one staffer assigned to cover a P5 conference school in town. TV stations that can't wait to suckle Georgia's teats. An absolutely abysmal collection of sports talk radio boobs. There are some digital media outlets and frankly, as a fan, you might be better served to visit them.
The Athletic, a sports website, is said to be expanding into every city with a professional sports presence. But I don't think they'll be covering much in the way of collegiate sports, if they come to Atlanta. And The Athletic is loading up on some very well respected sports writers in their current and announced markets.

I was watching a documentary on Michigan's 2017 season on Amazon prime. The clips of Harbaugh dealing with the local press would make CPJ think twice about coaching at a factory type school...he may be thanking UT's admins for not returning his lawyer's calls after watching that. Those local press in that documentary were downright combative and openly questioning everything to the point of almost mocking Harbaugh. You think CPJ would last long in that type of environment?

CPJ has nowhere near the scrutiny that a lot of coaches have. Being in a big city with multiple pro teams has its negatives, but the one positive is the local press are lukewarm at best about pushing every decision CPJ makes. If the local press asks questions, or pursues things that CPJ doesn't want, then that's a CPJ problem. It's their job to report the news. If CPJ wants certain information witheld, he should probably talk to the reporter and say "Hey, can you hold the news about player X until right before the game?" That's where having a good relationship with the press comes in handy. Coaches on this level have to work with the press. It's to both the school's and the new's outlets best interest to work with each other.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't expect a CPJ to coach the media either. But, if Ken is going to disrespect the head coach by going behind his back because he didn't like or accept CPJ's answer then Ken and all of us fans should not expect CPJ to show any respect to Ken or to be "nice" to Ken. Anyone using CPJ's attitude toward Ken to knock CPJ is using the situation to show their bias against CPJ.
Now, wait. I am pretty sure Ken doesn't care whether the coach is nice to him or not. Just deal with him professionally and I assume it will be reciprocated. But not taking the coach's word for something -- I wouldn't -- and going elsewhere is, it seems to me, basic, standard, journalism 101 reporting. And Johnson by now, after all these years, should know that. He appears churlish when he reacts that way, and it reduces him. And yes, I feel obligated to say, once again, I am a Johnson guy. But if somebody can notice the mole on Cindy Crawford's face, I can see the wart on Johnson.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Said reporter is the Beat Writer for the school. Said reporter was told that there wouldn't be discussions of player injuries. Said reporter then went directly to an assistant coach and asked the same question about injuries he was told wouldn't be commented on. Said reporter then reported on the injured players. So, the relationship's been a little tenuous since.

Said reporter then, was a reporter.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I'm betting your inherent bias against CPJ drives this viewpoint. Most of the fans I speak with at tailgates and at the games are fans of CPJ.
I am a huge CPJ fan. For someone to say that 90% of our fans do not like CPJ is absurd. I wonder what kind of fans you hang with. Must be a very negative sect and I doubt very large, or supportive of the program, as in season ticket holders.

Hearsay also is that things have been somewhat patched over there, although I don't think Johnson goes out of his way to befriend Ken. Ken should have known better, and I hope it was a mistake on his part, rather than something he did deliberately. Regardless, Ken IMO does yeoman's work in reporting on the Jackets in ALL sports and sports-related information. The articles that he has written show that he has done tons of research on Tech's past and, as a result, likely knows more about Tech than most of us do.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Guys this is absolutely laughable reading this. You people think CPJ is a GOD and is 100% right on everything. You say I have bias against CPJ, you have bias for CPJ. Would you not agree 4 seasons is a good sample size? We are 28-22 in the last 4 season with 3 losses to duke. For every good thing he's done there are plenty of negatives . Also you say it's not his job to be good with the media, actauly it's in his contract!!! They guy is a cremudgeion when meeting with reporters, why would they treat him positively?

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
I’ve tried to listen to your logic, but I still can’t understand why you think two 9-win seasons, two 11 win seasons, 3 acc title game appearances, 1 acc title and 3 wins over ugag in 10 years is indefensible and unworthy of some job security. You have nothing but opinion, which to be fair, is what you’re up against many times on this board, as well. But you’ve been given statistics, historical records, logic regarding recruiting benefits from coach job security, and you haven’t budged on your assertion that 90% of GT fans hate Paul Johnson.

You are approaching troll status.
Never used the word hate btw

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Would you not agree 4 seasons is a good sample size? We are 28-22 in the last 4 season with 3 losses to duke. For every good thing he's done there are plenty of negatives.

Yep, agreed. And those 4 years include 2 wins over ugag, 1 ACC title game appearance, and 2 bowl wins. Which of Gailey's 4 years would you like to compare that to? Or O'Leary's? Or Ross?

I'll take the much higher ceiling even when it includes the slightly lower floor.

Never used the word hate btw

LOL.

Guys this is absolutely laughable reading this. You people think CPJ is a GOD and is 100% right on everything. You say I have bias against CPJ, you have bias for CPJ. Would you not agree 4 seasons is a good sample size? We are 28-22 in the last 4 season with 3 losses to duke. For every good thing he's done there are plenty of negatives . Also you say it's not his job to be good with the media, actauly it's in his contract!!! They guy is a cremudgeion when meeting with reporters, why would they treat him positively?
What's laughable is that you drop big words without a clue as to how they are spelled. The word is CURMUDGEON, no CREMUDGEION. And the second time was after I had already corrected you on the first time.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
What's laughable is that you drop big words without a clue as to how they are spelled. The word is CURMUDGEON, no CREMUDGEION. And the second time was after I had already corrected you on the first time.
I never use that word other then when im talking about CPJ so I just put in what auto correct suggested to me. It's ok for you to ignore those 3 losses to duke tho

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Yep, agreed. And those 4 years include 2 wins over ugag, 1 ACC title game appearance, and 2 bowl wins. Which of Gailey's 4 years would you like to compare that to? Or O'Leary's? Or Ross?

I'll take the much higher ceiling even when it includes the slightly lower floor.

LOL.
And those 4 years include going 3-9 and 5-6. Would love to see you respond to this other than saying CPJ is the greatest of all time

I never use that word other then when im talking about CPJ so I just put in what auto correct suggested to me. It's ok for you to ignore those 3 losses to duke tho
I HATE those losses to Duke, but I also hated some of Ross' losses while he was here, and especially the absurd tie with UNC in 1990. S**t happens, but two Orange Bowls, with one win, after not having played in a major bowl since 1966, plus all the other positives previously listed by others, FAR OUTWEIGH those three losses. BTW, if you don't know a word, then don't rely on "auto correct" to spell it for you. LOOK IT UP.