CPJ Comments on Contract Extension

Those stats also include field goals made as a red zone score, which really just means you had a half-decent kicker and didn't turn the ball over. For example, Wake Forest kicked 18 field goals in the red zone. Take that away, and they only converted a touchdown on 63% of their red zone attempts, good for 54th in the nation. Tech is at 72%, good for 15th in the nation. Guess who's number 1? Army.

It's all situational and red zone offense can be a meaningless stat anyways (For example: Georgia Tech had a 100% RZ scoring efficiency in the final game of the season against Georgia)

Also...we were 101st in 4th down conversions last year? Wow.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/700

EDIT: Anyone know how to upload a csv file...other than hosting it somewhere else?
I had never heard of a CSV file, so I GOOGLE'd it. You might do well to do so also, but in what I think is an answer to your question, I found this: "A CSV file can be opened in any program, however, for most users, a CSV file is best viewed through a spreadsheet program such as Microsoft Excel, Open Office Calc or Google Doc."

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I had never heard of a CSV file, so I GOOGLE'd it. You might do well to do so also, but in what I think is an answer to your question, I found this: "A CSV file can be opened in any program, however, for most users, a CSV file is best viewed through a spreadsheet program such as Microsoft Excel, Open Office Calc or Google Doc."
I love it when you guys talk dirty.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
CPJ graduates 82% of his players that in itself should be commended. The play on the field is missed bag but overall he’s won at GT. I’d like a better winning percentage but my desire doesn’t supercede the reality. CPJ is a good coach and he wins, some. My preference for a different type of offense doesn’t get in the way of facts and the fact is if GT & it’s fans are satisfied with a a bit above mediocre football program I have to be fine with that as a fan or make my fandom elsewhere. My hope is that CPJ & the GT Admin put together the necessary pieces to make the program more consistent and championship level. That hope is what will push me forward to 2022 and beyond.

Probably one of the best posts I've seen in a while. I wasn't a huge fan of CPJ when he was hired, but I feel he has been an excellent choice, and done as well as could be expected given the limitations, both academic and monetary, that our program currently has. I will continue to support him in hopes that the new GTAA under TStan will finally make the changes necessary to compete routinely at this level.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
How many programs average 8-4? And how much do they spend on football

I’d love to be a top 20 team every year but I’m also realistic about our academic profile and finances. Johnson isn’t perfect but he’s taken us to multiple ACC title games and BCS bowl games.

Finances are a bigger limiting factor than academics. I've been preaching for years that we can win routinely with the academic limitations in place as long as we as fans are willing to throw money at the program hand over fist.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I keep seeing the phrase repeated over and over in this and other threads that Tech fans that support CPJ must be okay "accepting mediocrity." I have to say, I just don't get that point of view. While CPJ's career at Tech has certainly been up and down, most "CPJ supporters" don't continue to support CPJ because he has averaged 7.5 wins. CCG averaged something similar and I suspect the vast majority of CPJ supporters were in favor of letting him go. I know I was.

The reason folks continue to support CPJ is because he has led Tech to two Orange Bowls, three ACC title games, has been ACC coach of the year 4 times, and has finished either 1st or 2nd in the Coastal 6 of 10 years. Those accomplishments are not "mediocre." Some were exceptional. I think the "CPJ supporters" can accept some of the down seasons so long as there is hope that we can get back to those good/great ones. And CPJ has certainly showed the ability to bounce back. Despite having two disappointing-to-bad seasons in the last three years, we have still beaten UGA 2 of the last 4 and won 3 of the last 4 bowls we played in. It is for those reasons (in addition to the graduation rate and being honest about the limitations of Georgia Tech), that so many folks continue to support CPJ.

All that said, once the CPJ supporters lose hope that those good/great seasons are likely to be just around the corner, we will be just as ready as everyone else to move on. If you were somehow able to predict the future and tell me he will average 7.5 wins/year but never again get over 8 wins in a season, I would be ready to let him go to now. That would be accepting mediocrity. I just don't believe that is the case yet. In fact, we have won 9 or more two of the last four years.

Now, if he has a poor year this year, I don't think anyone disagrees that he should be on an extremely hot seat (or potentially fired if we have a losing record). An objective look at his history, however, shows that he is just as likely to bounce back with a 9 win season next year as to have a losing record. And that is why (at least for now), I continue to believe and support.

Go Jackets!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I keep seeing the phrase repeated over and over in this and other threads that Tech fans that support CPJ must be okay "accepting mediocrity." !....
That is but the presumed inherent superiority of one position over another but unwilling to take a chance argues your position for you, thus proving it does not always take two to make this particular argument. Sometimes the ordinariness of me reaches astounding levels, thus raising mediocrity to a new standard.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
I'm betting your inherent bias against CPJ drives this viewpoint. Most of the fans I speak with at tailgates and at the games are fans of CPJ.
I go to at least 3 home games a year and most of the people I talked to last year were not CPJ fans. It's only getting worse. Now that doesn't mean I'm gonna be mad if we win this year I'm just saying that the majority of GT fans which includes non message board fans are not CPJ fans

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
I keep seeing the phrase repeated over and over in this and other threads that Tech fans that support CPJ must be okay "accepting mediocrity." I have to say, I just don't get that point of view. While CPJ's career at Tech has certainly been up and down, most "CPJ supporters" don't continue to support CPJ because he has averaged 7.5 wins. CCG averaged something similar and I suspect the vast majority of CPJ supporters were in favor of letting him go. I know I was.

The reason folks continue to support CPJ is because he has led Tech to two Orange Bowls, three ACC title games, has been ACC coach of the year 4 times, and has finished either 1st or 2nd in the Coastal 6 of 10 years. Those accomplishments are not "mediocre." Some were exceptional. I think the "CPJ supporters" can accept some of the down seasons so long as there is hope that we can get back to those good/great ones. And CPJ has certainly showed the ability to bounce back. Despite having two disappointing-to-bad seasons in the last three years, we have still beaten UGA 2 of the last 4 and won 3 of the last 4 bowls we played in. It is for those reasons (in addition to the graduation rate and being honest about the limitations of Georgia Tech), that so many folks continue to support CPJ.

All that said, once the CPJ supporters lose hope that those good/great seasons are likely to be just around the corner, we will be just as ready as everyone else to move on. If you were somehow able to predict the future and tell me he will average 7.5 wins/year but never again get over 8 wins in a season, I would be ready to let him go to now. That would be accepting mediocrity. I just don't believe that is the case yet. In fact, we have won 9 or more two of the last four years.

Now, if he has a poor year this year, I don't think anyone disagrees that he should be on an extremely hot seat (or potentially fired if we have a losing record). An objective look at his history, however, shows that he is just as likely to bounce back with a 9 win season next year as to have a losing record. And that is why (at least for now), I continue to believe and support.

Go Jackets!
If Tech has a poor season, or indeed a losing season , Stansbury has boxed himself in with the inexplicable contract extension and raise. Tech can't afford a buyout. Want him or not ,johnson is here until 2022!

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
If Tech has a poor season, or indeed a losing season , Stansbury has boxed himself in with the inexplicable contract extension and raise. Tech can't afford a buyout. Want him or not ,johnson is here until 2022!

Nah if tech has another poor season, CPJ has a retirement clause in his contract. He might just retire beamer style midway through coach out the rest and be done.

I go to at least 3 home games a year and most of the people I talked to last year were not CPJ fans. It's only getting worse. Now that doesn't mean I'm gonna be mad if we win this year I'm just saying that the majority of GT fans which includes non message board fans are not CPJ fans
Are you a season ticket holder and annual donor, or were those you spoke with either or both? ALL fans are important to Tech, but IMO those who pay the bills are the ones whose opinions mean the most. I do not know a single season ticket holder who is part or that 90% you spoke of, and I know quite a few, having been one myself for 51 years.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Are you a season ticket holder and annual donor, or were those you spoke with either or both? ALL fans are important to Tech, but IMO those who pay the bills are the ones whose opinions mean the most. I do not know a single season ticket holder who is part or that 90% you spoke of, and I know quite a few, having been one myself for 51 years.
Come on please tell me you aren't serious? Every fan matters. And yes the ones I tailgate with are season ticket holders and are not happy with CPJ and how he treats the program

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I think the whole argument is kind of goofy, since he has his pilot's license for another five years. Ordinarily I am not a stickler for such things, leaving that to my friends from that technical institute downtown, but what is the "majority" you talk about? Two of three? Four of seven? Maybe 51 of 100? Eventually 50 plus 1 is the majority. Nothing to go to war with, though. As is "most of the people" you talk to. I just don't know what that means. Are you talking to ... how many? Frankly I think we are reading one man's opinion here. But since the AD had the hole card, it matters not.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
It's kind of explicable to me. Tell a recruit all you want to choose the school and not the coach watch his eyes glaze over. They choose coaches because that's who recruits them. Ideally they want the same coach at the end as in the recruiting year: 1 + 4 = 5. Certainly they prefer the same offensive or defensive scheme. And a coach with a 3-year contract is on slippery recruiting ground. The length of a contract is not the problem to me. It's the buyout provision that can be the killer. See Gailey. See Hewett. A guy should get something if he is canned. I don't know how you justify a blank check to a guy who just got fired.