CPJ and CNW

Jmonty71

Banned
I kind of like what I heard. I have been asking for an attacking style defense. Nate seems to know his stuff. I have a much better feeling about him, than I ever did with CAG or CTR. Only time will tell. I imagine it will take 2-3 years to get his D fully ramped up. Next year, I still still we get better on D. But, his 2nd year, we should make a huge jump

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I also like how PJ had a dig at Saban's recruiting ability at MSU vs Bama and LSU. I'm sure Saban doesn't give AF, but PJ doesn't either. You could tell by the expression on Woody's face like "this guy doesn't give AF".
I doubt Saban would see it as a dig against him. Pretty sure Saban and CPJ have a similar mind about most things CFB

Deleted member 2897

Some highlights from the presser for anybody that missed it.

Johnson holds an invisible foot long talking about someone wanting to come while a Woody waits patiently for his turn.
pQ7g9r.gif

A focused Woody and a listless Johnson with a 1 track mind.
jLgrEAN.png

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
GT is the only P5 program that runs this offense. I hope no one else can replicate the speed of our offense, or CPJ's tactical acumen on game days.

That said, better athletes on the scout team prepares your 1st team a lot better. Again, if people are arguing this point, they must not have much experience with football. Why are all the factories so good? Not just because they have better athletes, but because they have better athletes on their scout team prepping the first team. GT has depth problems, where do you think that affects? Scout team just as much as our guys who have to play on Saturdays.

Now you are making a different point altogether than your reply to @dressedcheeseside.

Fwiw few will argue much of this new point you now make.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The head coach isnt supposed to bring up our past and talk about how bad we've been in the past in every press conference. CPJ should inspire the fan base instead of trying to teach us how average we are. It's aggravating

That’s your opinion. You are entitled to it. I prefer a head coach that shoots straight, dispels misperceptions, and doesn’t try and blow smoke up my tail pipe.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I agree, but it doesn't start and end with an AD. Our coach is the face and leader of a program, and an integral part in the recruiting process. While he may not be out there stomping the streets looking for recruits, he needs to establish the messaging and keep it consistent.

40 years ago, head coaches made low six figures. Today they're the highest paid federal and state employees, and the tip top of the .01%. You can't make a case the landscape of college football hasn't dramatically changed in nearly every way. It's a business; for the schools, coaches, and believe it or not, the SAs. Like it or not, that's where we are...
State employees? I thought they were paid by their AA’s?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The head coach isnt supposed to bring up our past and talk about how bad we've been in the past in every press conference. CPJ should inspire the fan base instead of trying to teach us how average we are. It's aggravating
How aggravating do you think it is for CPJ to be asked the same asinine questions about recruiting every presser? Kids have to be open to the idea of coming to GT in the first place. It starts with values. If the kids don’t value education, you might as well be trying to convince a cat to go to a dog school.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
How aggravating do you think it is for CPJ to be asked the same asinine questions about recruiting every presser? Kids have to be open to the idea of coming to GT in the first place. It starts with values. If the kids don’t value education, you might as well be trying to convince a cat to go to a dog school.

That said, there are some coaches who could actually sell dog school to a cat (and I think we can all agree CPJ is not one). That begs the question, however, of how many of those coaches would want to coach at Tech? And, could those same coaches coach in a way that leads to a better record than CPJ (for example, Mark stoops is doing great as a recruiter at UK, but I would rather have CPJ as my coach)? And, if they did, would they stay at GT or bolt out the door as soon as they showed success? The last two coaches that people argue could possibly do both of those things (Ross and O'Leary) both bolted for better opportunities.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
That said, there are some coaches who could actually sell dog school to a cat (and I think we can all agree CPJ is not one). That begs the question, however, of how many of those coaches would want to coach at Tech? And, could those same coaches coach in a way that leads to a better record than CPJ (for example, Mark stoops is doing great as a recruiter at UK, but I would rather have CPJ as my coach)? And, if they did, would they stay at GT or bolt out the door as soon as they showed success? The last two coaches that people argue could possibly do both of those things (Ross and O'Leary) both bolted for better opportunities.
I would not want a recruiter that could sell a dog school to a cat. The bigger problem is keeping them in school once they’re here. We need kids who are perfect fits for who we are what we do. We need a recruiter who is honest and straightforward. What we need to get better at his identifying kids who are good fits before we start recruiting them.

Deleted member 2897

Here is Kentucky's recruiting rank within the SEC over the past decade. Without looking, when did Mark Stoops start?
2017: 10
2016: 10
2015: 13
2014: 9
2013: 13
2012: 14
2011: 11
2010: 11
2009: 11
2008: 11
2007: 11
2006: 10

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
Here is Kentucky's recruiting rank within the SEC over the past decade. Without looking, when did Mark Stoops start?
hey some of those are 10 or 11/12 instead of /14 ;)

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
One aspect of adding additional recruiting staff I haven't seen mentioned is the potential for these staff members to take on responsibilities currently carried by assistant coaches thus enabling the assistant coaches to focus more on development of current players and game planning.
mentioned that many months ago. i agree with you.

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
bwelbo - to be fair you need to compare nationally since most of the programs in the SEC recruit very well and Kentucky could be markedly better but not actually move up in the SEC.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer

Mark Stoops started in 2013. Based on 247 rankings, his average has been 32nd in the country. Average in the other years you list before he got there (2006-2012) was 56th. They are currently ranked 28th in 2018. I would say that is a pretty hefty improvement.

National Team Rank:
2017: 30
2016: 34
2015: 38
2014: 22
2013: 34
2012: 50
2011: 36
2010: 49
2009: 47
2008: 60
2007: 115
2006: 34

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck

I'm talking about his claim that recruiting has changed in 40 years except for social media. That's not true and not a good way to look at it. The entire sport has changed, and changed dramatically. But you're saying he just said that because he didn't like the question and he's been asked that a bunch. Who cares? The way you guys on here describe CPJ makes him appear to be a baby and a pouter because "the big bwad pwess is mean and asks stewpid questions". Who gives a ****? Its a high profile leadership position that pays nearly $3mm/year. Outside of horribly offensive questions, these guys have to deal with the press; its a part of the job. If he can't handle it then he can take a massive pay cut and go down to FCS where its less high profile. That would be horrible for us, but damn if he's that sensitive and gets his feelings hurt so easily...

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'm talking about his claim that recruiting has changed in 40 years except for social media. That's not true and not a good way to look at it. The entire sport has changed, and changed dramatically. But you're saying he just said that because he didn't like the question and he's been asked that a bunch. Who cares? The way you guys on here describe CPJ makes him appear to be a baby and a pouter because "the big bwad pwess is mean and asks stewpid questions". Who gives a ****? Its a high profile leadership position that pays nearly $3mm/year. Outside of horribly offensive questions, these guys have to deal with the press; its a part of the job. If he can't handle it then he can take a massive pay cut and go down to FCS where its less high profile. That would be horrible for us, but damn if he's that sensitive and gets his feelings hurt so easily...
First of all, where’s your evidence that says recruiting has changed dramatically in 40 years?

stech81

Helluva Engineer
State employees? I thought they were paid by their AA’s?
I could be wrong and it won't be the first time but I do think a part of the head coaches pay is for the state ( but only part ) there was a site a few years ago you could look up what state employees were paid . But it was only the state part. Don't remember it being that much.

Deleted member 2897

Mark Stoops started in 2013. Based on 247 rankings, his average has been 32nd in the country. Average in the other years you list before he got there (2006-2012) was 56th. They are currently ranked 28th in 2018. I would say that is a pretty hefty improvement.

National Team Rank:
2017: 30
2016: 34
2015: 38
2014: 22
2013: 34
2012: 50
2011: 36
2010: 49
2009: 47
2008: 60
2007: 115
2006: 34

Ignoring the huge outlier, yes, natiOnally they have gone from an average of 46 to an average of 32. But just think about that, 3rd from last in the SEC is 32nd nationally? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.