CPJ and CNW

yellajacket20

Georgia Tech Fan
I watched quite a bit of the App St vs Uga game on YouTube a week ago. It seemed like all the Georgia's scores came on plays where they were out-athleted.

What was great to see were the tackles in the backfield of Chubb and Michel, along with excellent coverage and contested catches.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
I love what Coach Johnson said about recruiting. He tells it like it is. I also like what Coach Woody had to say about his defensive philosophy. Can''t wait for spring practice to start. Should be very interesting.
You liked what CPJ said today? Seemed to have a defeatist attitude if you ask me

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
You liked what CPJ said today? Seemed to have a defeatist attitude if you ask me

Realist. And defensive. Look he goes after “5 Star” guys. Hasn’t landed any but I don’t thjnk it’s because he goes after 5stars halfheartedly, 4stars 3/4heartedly, and 3 Star guys whole heartedly.

It’s just never been easy for Tech to bring in a top 300 guy nationally. (Five star guys btw are top 50 nationally). It’s never been for a lack of trying by the head coach. But elite football players tend to be drawn to the bama’s, FSUs, Clemson’s, and ugas of the world.

And we all know why. You don’t have to like the why but you best grow up and recognize it. If you don’t like it find another team easier to root for maybe? Or maybe open up a wallet and contribute to help find and bring in elite guys?

But quit crying whenever someone points out that as much as we’d like to be, we ain’t bama, never have been, and never will be. Doesn’t mean we can’t still win championships and CPJ has never, ever, alluded to any such thing.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Your missing the point. It’s the same offense that those Defenses were facing, and it wasn’t an issue.

OK, that's great...but OTHER team's offenses have changed. Spread offenses are more prevalent. Offenses have become more sophisticated.

Furthermore, coaching is much better, athletes are better, and relatively speaking CPJ isn't getting the athletes at GT that he got at GA Southern. CPJ said that recruiting at GA Southern use to be much different. If UGA/GT/Auburn/Alabama didn't recruit a kid in GA, usually GA Southern had a really good shot at them. That's not the case anymore because now EVERYONE recruits GA heavily. GA Southern use to be able to get the "best of the rest", but that's not the case anymore. Heck, CPJ all but admitted he's not getting the guys he wants at GT.

If you believe having guys like Jay Jones/Tobias Oliver/Chase Martenson (and this is not denigrating them) run a scout team's spread passing offense is good practice for our defense, great...keep believing that. Heck, Duke has begun signing dual threat QBs or QBs with the ability to run when needed. Not only has it changed Cutcliffe's play calling ability, but it's also given them the ability to mimic spread option teams better in practice. Other teams have better QBs squirreled away on their scout team that are higher rated than our starting QBs...which makes their scout team better at preparing their defenses.

There's a saying from the bible: "As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another." You can easily apply that to any sport.

ezbee

Georgia Tech Fan
OK, that's great...but OTHER team's offenses have changed. Spread offenses are more prevalent. Offenses have become more sophisticated.

Furthermore, coaching is much better, athletes are better, and relatively speaking CPJ isn't getting the athletes at GT that he got at GA Southern. CPJ said that recruiting at GA Southern use to be much different. If UGA/GT/Auburn/Alabama didn't recruit a kid in GA, usually GA Southern had a really good shot at them. That's not the case anymore because now EVERYONE recruits GA heavily. GA Southern use to be able to get the "best of the rest", but that's not the case anymore. Heck, CPJ all but admitted he's not getting the guys he wants at GT.

If you believe having guys like Jay Jones/Tobias Oliver/Chase Martenson (and this is not denigrating them) run a scout team's spread passing offense is good practice for our defense, great...keep believing that. Heck, Duke has begun signing dual threat QBs or QBs with the ability to run when needed. Not only has it changed Cutcliffe's play calling ability, but it's also given them the ability to mimic spread option teams better in practice. Other teams have better QBs squirreled away on their scout team that are higher rated than our starting QBs...which makes their scout team better at preparing their defenses.

There's a saying from the bible: "As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another." You can easily apply that to any sport.

Uhhhh. Do you know who uga’s Scout team qb is? The one who got them ready for the Heisman trophy winner Baker Mayfield as well as Alabama???

Stetson Bennett the IV. A walk on. So yeah, I’d take Tobias Oliver running our scout team any day over him.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Realist. And defensive. Look he goes after “5 Star” guys. Hasn’t landed any but I don’t thjnk it’s because he goes after 5stars halfheartedly, 4stars 3/4heartedly, and 3 Star guys whole heartedly.

It’s just never been easy for Tech to bring in a top 300 guy nationally. (Five star guys btw are top 50 nationally). It’s never been for a lack of trying by the head coach. But elite football players tend to be drawn to the bama’s, FSUs, Clemson’s, and ugas of the world.

And we all know why. You don’t have to like the why but you best grow up and recognize it. If you don’t like it find another team easier to root for maybe? Or maybe open up a wallet and contribute to help find and bring in elite guys?

But quit crying whenever someone points out that as much as we’d like to be, we ain’t bama, never have been, and never will be. Doesn’t mean we can’t still win championships and CPJ has never, ever, alluded to any such thing.
Well said. CPJ point blank said the myth that we don’t recruit 5 stars is false.

It’s great to have high expectations, but your plan better damn well be based in reality or you’re in for a very rude awakening.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

I think you’re forgetting the primary purpose of a scout team. It’s to give the defense the right looks and formations, it’s not a simulate the speed of the game you’re going to see from the other side.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Really, I'm not mad at all. I just think his comments on recruiting are just not helpful when you asking for more money.
Again, I have just accepted reality. No animosity towards anyone or any coaches. I think CPJ is a good coach and Woody seems like a solid hire.
I get what you are saying. You may think I am crazy but I don't care if we get any 5 star players or not. I do care that we identify kids earlier in the process and that we are then given the opportunity to show them what Tech is about. You can't be a 5 star rated player without being a camp junkie with parents chasing the best deal. Those same parents and kids are not at all interested in a 40 year plan. I am a big believer that Calvin was a sure fire 5 star player without a 5 star agenda. We will have a chance with kids like Calvin that have parents that place a premium on Education. Most of those kids will be under valued by the services because they are not as concerned about being a 5 star kid. I think that is really some of what Paul is saying. He understands we have such a small chance with kids that have 5 stars as they obtained that status by camping at Ga, Ala, Clemson, LSU and others. It really matters to them that they Play in The Big House in front of 100k fans each week. Not thinking we are getting kids that are wondering why they have to go to class when they came to GT to play Football!

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck

Couldn't agree more. The fact that CPJ said recruiting hasn't really changed in the past 40 years except for social media is incredibly short-sighted and naive. Love our head coach, and glad to have him, but he needs to take a hard look at other programs to see what they're done. they didn't just hire a "social media intern" and call it a day.

Before the weirdly aggressive and obsessive GTSwarm pro-coach brigade come and freaks out on me:
-Yes I know we're underfunded compared to the top programs in the world, but I'm not suggesting we should keep with the blue chippers (we never really have)
-Yes I know our curriculum is limited, but we've demonstrated we can have good classes. It's important to be consistent.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think you’re forgetting the primary purpose of a scout team. It’s to give the defense the right looks and formations, it’s not a simulate the speed of the game you’re going to see from the other side.

Have you played football? If a coach is only giving looks and formations and not trying to simulate speed for the defense to practice against, that is one crap coach.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Couldn't agree more. The fact that CPJ said recruiting hasn't really changed in the past 40 years except for social media is incredibly short-sighted and naive. Love our head coach, and glad to have him, but he needs to take a hard look at other programs to see what they're done. they didn't just hire a "social media intern" and call it a day.

Before the weirdly aggressive and obsessive GTSwarm pro-coach brigade come and freaks out on me:
-Yes I know we're underfunded compared to the top programs in the world, but I'm not suggesting we should keep with the blue chippers (we never really have)
-Yes I know our curriculum is limited, but we've demonstrated we can have good classes. It's important to be consistent.

You can be innovative, creative, and effective without breaking the bank. Todd has a job to do. It doesn't mean GT won't have to spend but it just means the AD has to spend effectively and with ingenuity.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Have you played football? If a coach is only giving looks and formations and not trying to simulate speed for the defense to practice against, that is one crap coach.
I think any coach would love the scout team to simulate the speed but the fact is if they run a different offense than your team the speed may not be there in one short week.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
You can be innovative, creative, and effective without breaking the bank. Todd has a job to do. It doesn't mean GT won't have to spend but it just means the AD has to spend effectively and with ingenuity.

I agree, but it doesn't start and end with an AD. Our coach is the face and leader of a program, and an integral part in the recruiting process. While he may not be out there stomping the streets looking for recruits, he needs to establish the messaging and keep it consistent.

40 years ago, head coaches made low six figures. Today they're the highest paid federal and state employees, and the tip top of the .01%. You can't make a case the landscape of college football hasn't dramatically changed in nearly every way. It's a business; for the schools, coaches, and believe it or not, the SAs. Like it or not, that's where we are...

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Uhhhh. Do you know who uga’s Scout team qb is? The one who got them ready for the Heisman trophy winner Baker Mayfield as well as Alabama???

Stetson Bennett the IV. A walk on. So yeah, I’d take Tobias Oliver running our scout team any day over him.

Um, Stetson Bennett was a friggin' stud in HS. He could have played at a non-P5 school but he his family is affluent and he wanted to go to school at UGA.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

Where did CPJ say using a social media intern covers the social media bases?? That’s an absurd allegation. He said social media is the biggest change. That’s an obvious statement of fact.