CPJ and CNW

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
anybody want to take notes and livestream? I'm in california so my workday is just starting, so can't tke time to watch :(

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
Was a pretty good presser but damn I hate Facebook. Trolls and ignorant CPJ hating Tech fans’ comments distract from the content. Need an ignore comment feature or train brain to ignore without one.
If you just swipe right it hides the comments.

Thought the presser was good from what I saw. Only saw the back half, where recruiting was the primary topic (much to CPJ's chagrin). Nate seems like a charismatic guy that is going to let guys play freely and have some fun. I'm excited to see what he brings - I'm not a scheme expert, but I like what I heard (but then again, who doesn't at intro press conferences..).

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Per Football Scoop.....

Georgia Tech: Per source, defensive coordinator Nate Woody is having Appalachian State graduate assistant Trey Money join him at Georgia Tech. Money worked with the linebackers at App State.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
his first statement.

I don't want DL to just eat up space. PERFECT!!!!!! I don't run an eat space scheme, we penetrate (paraphase)

good start.

we tend to find guys that the other places don't that fit what we do. We look for certain qualities (paraphrase)

perfect

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Fundamentals on D are fundamentals...despite what scheme the D faces. Some schemes try and attack certain areas more than others, have different focused and philosophies, but that doesn’t change fundamentals much.

Contrary to popular belief the same fundamentals can be taught whether practicing against pro set, power I, spread, RPO, whatever. Then you apply those fundamentals to different schemes by focusing on those schemes strengths / tendencies.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I found it interesting how he spoke of playing our offense in practice could actually benefit our defense. It's flipping the narrative that you normally hear.

It forces you to play your assignment and play fundamentally sound and also often make a solo tack. Every player is active in every rep. That kind of focus is beneficial against any scheme. The problem we have had in the past under wommack, under grohand under roof is we often are too smart for our own good and end up in between. Alabama's defense while it looks like they check like crazy they really only checked between two things. Drop cover 3 zone, or man up cover one. THey did it based on formation. Even formation ( split receivers even.) they dropped into cover 3. Odd, Man up cover one. The called defenses were their underneath stunts which usually had a very vanilla secondary assignment.

The reason 2014 was so turnover happy was Golden "got it" he often had the secondary in the right coverage and guess the opponents play. When he guess wrong we gave up yardage. the bend don't break works when you have a safety that can out think the other cooardinator on the field. See Earl Thomas or Cam Chancellor at seattle, then see how seattle plays when they are out.

Last edited:

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
Also if you read the embedded links in the 3-4 one gap thread, CNW specifically mentions defeating reach blocks and scoop blocks. We use those on almost every play for backside blocks, so our defense will get a lot of practice against them when working against our offense. Seeing as one of the simmering concerns has been that playing against our offense hurt our defense, perhaps we just found a magic elixir for both our offense and our defense.