CPJ and CNW

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
BTW, I could be wrong, but the whole recruiting in 40 years comment was made in reference to how most staffs handle it, i.e. staff is broken down by geography and they find prospects and bring them to position coaches and then ultimately to PJ for approval. The comment was in response to a question about Woody going to recruit North Carolina because that's what he knows. I think a lot of you are taking the comments way out of context. If for one second you don't think that PJ knows and believes that certain aspects of recruiting has changed you're just too biased and are looking to simply bash PJ. That's fine, but call a spade a spade. Do you think he would be working to "revamp the recruiting staff" if he really thinks nothing has changed?

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
BTW, I could be wrong, but the whole recruiting in 40 years comment was made in reference to how most staffs handle it, i.e. staff is broken down by geography and they find prospects and bring them to position coaches and then ultimately to PJ for approval. The comment was in response to a question about Woody going to recruit North Carolina because that's what he knows. I think a lot of you are taking the comments way out of context. If for one second you don't think that PJ knows and believes that certain aspects of recruiting has changed you're just too biased and are looking to simply bash PJ. That's fine, but call a spade a spade. Do you think he would be working to "revamp the recruiting staff" if he really thinks nothing has changed?
You're exactly right but best to keep your head down. It's too late for what was actually said.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Oh please. I'm trying to tread a fine line of proving a point and not trying to denigrate our players.

If you think guys like Tobias Oliver, Jay Jones, and Chase Martenson are giving the same looks as other team's scout guys...even walk ons on other teams, hey, more power to you. The scout team QBs we have are good options QBs, but as passers, other teams have better passers as walk ons than GT has on scholarship. I'm sorry if it's hurting people's feelings, but that's the reality of situation with our offense.
Yes, the quality of our scout team players has some impact on our performance on Saturdays. However, it’s way way way way way down the list.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The biggest way recruiting has changed in the last 40 years Is that it has become almost as big a spectator sport as the actual game. I find that very ridiculous in my opinion but hey to each his own.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
^^^ THIS^^^
FINALLY SOMEBODY GETS IT!!!
THANK YOU, BLESS YOU!!!

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Um, Stetson Bennett was a friggin' stud in HS. He could have played at a non-P5 school but he his family is affluent and he wanted to go to school at UGA.

Sorry, I can’t take a guy named Stetson Bennett IV seriously as a football player. Lacrosse all star I can totally buy, but not football.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Sorry, I can’t take a guy named Stetson Bennett IV seriously as a football player. Lacrosse all star I can totally buy, but not football.

Lol. With a name like that, you know he's probably in a frat, has a trust fund, never walks out of his house without a collared shirt (most like with a guy playing polo or alligator logo), and he "summers" with his family.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Lol. With a name like that, you know he's probably in a frat, has a trust fund, never walks out of his house without a collared shirt (most like with a guy playing polo or alligator logo), and he "summers" with his family.
bradley-cooper-wedding-crashers-de.jpg

Techster

Helluva Engineer
So a kid that "could play at a non-P5" school is a stud, but our players aren't? Stetson Bennett is a 5'11" 170 lb QB out of Pierce County. Best offer was GSU or MTSU. Somehow that way better than the scout team QBs we've had? Possibly, but only marginally

Let me clarify something because another poster brought up this guy up and somehow people feel I'm making it out like he's a better football player than our guys. When I say "stud", that means he was a VERY good player on the HS level: Passed for over 3700 yards with 40TDs, ran for almost 500 yards and 6TDs as a Senior. That's ONE year. I don't care who you are, you put up those numbers in HS, you're a VERY good player for that level. He did that playing AAA ball in GA, which isn't the highest level, but a good level. If this kid was just 6' (which he's not even close...maybe 5'8-5'9) he would have more offers. I equate him to Tim Byerly...someone who put up amazing numbers in HS, but for various reasons wasn't recruited by big time programs. Like Tim, his only offers were from non-P5 programs. Tim turned out to be a pretty good player for us...even though he was just a 2 star recruit with small offers.

Doesn't mean that this guy will have the same impact as Tim did here...different variables at play. UGA, afterall, is stacking the deck at QB. My only point was, teams like UGA have guys that have a talented skillset that better prepares them for other teams. We recruit guys with different skillsets at QB that other schools don't recruit for QB. Our QBs were not highly talented at passing the ball, though I believe Lucas Johnson would definitely be an outlier to that. There are more teams that run Spread passing offenses, and "pro" offenses...therefore they recruit more of those types of QBS....which means they have the personnel on the depth chart that helps them to that end. It works the other way as well...other teams probably don't get a good look when they have to play us because no one runs our offense like our QBs do.

This doesn't just apply to QBs, but skill players and linemen as well. (And defensive players on the other side) GT just recruits differently on that side of the ball. Most are in agreement that the better the scout team player, the better preparation it provides our 1st team. That's all I'm saying.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Let me clarify something because another poster brought up this guy up and somehow people feel I'm making it out like he's a better football player than our guys. When I say "stud", that means he was a VERY good player on the HS level: Passed for over 3700 yards with 40TDs, ran for almost 500 yards and 6TDs as a Senior. That's ONE year. I don't care who you are, you put up those numbers in HS, you're a VERY good player for that level. He did that playing AAA ball in GA, which isn't the highest level, but a good level. If this kid was just 6' (which he's not even close...maybe 5'8-5'9) he would have more offers. I equate him to Tim Byerly...someone who put up amazing numbers in HS, but for various reasons wasn't recruited by big time programs. Like Tim, his only offers were from non-P5 programs. Tim turned out to be a pretty good player for us...even though he was just a 2 star recruit with small offers.

Doesn't mean that this guy will have the same impact as Tim did here...different variables at play. UGA, afterall, is stacking the deck at QB. My only point was, teams like UGA have guys that have a talented skillset that better prepares them for other teams. We recruit guys with different skillsets at QB that other schools don't recruit for QB. Our QBs were not highly talented at passing the ball, though I believe Lucas Johnson would definitely be an outlier to that. There are more teams that run Spread passing offenses, and "pro" offenses...therefore they recruit more of those types of QBS....which means they have the personnel on the depth chart that helps them to that end. It works the other way as well...other teams probably don't get a good look when they have to play us because no one runs our offense like our QBs do.

This doesn't just apply to QBs, but skill players and linemen as well. (And defensive players on the other side) GT just recruits differently on that side of the ball. Most are in agreement that the better the scout team player, the better preparation it provides our 1st team. That's all I'm saying.

This wall of text just proves you are not just saying better Scout team players better prepare the 1st team. (And yes I think there is consensus on that)

We recruit guys, QBs in particular, with different skill sets than who? Uga? I guess bama is at fault as well seeing as how we both went after JT as a QB initially and both went after Tua.

Won’t say anything else about your idol as you seem to take that as a personal insult.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This wall of text just proves you are not just saying better Scout team players better prepare the 1st team. (And yes I think there is consensus on that)

We recruit guys, QBs in particular, with different skill sets than who? Uga? I guess bama is at fault as well seeing as how we both went after JT as a QB initially and both went after Tua.

Won’t say anything else about your idol as you seem to take that as a personal insult.

1. Dude, I"m saying the same thing you're agreeing to...but I'm just being specific, and you disagree. Fine, agree to disagree.

2. Everyone knows my idol is Lucas Johnson. So step off, Whiney...

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
1. Dude, I"m saying the same thing you're agreeing to...but I'm just being specific, and you disagree. Fine, agree to disagree.

2. Everyone knows my idol is Lucas Johnson. So step off, Whiney...

Lol (for @potatohead) so is calling someone Whiney not a personal insult? I thought you opposed such crass behavior :LOL: (for the record I might have been snarky toward you earlier but I challenge you to quote the “personal insult”)

“So step off” LOL LOL (one for potato one for Techster:ROFLMAO:)

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck

I grew up in Brantley county - a neighbor county to Pierce. Good, not great football there, probably on the lower end of AAA football in GA.

I think your last paragraph is the biggest issue. We need more good on good, I.e. quality depth. Particularly on the lines to help competition.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
Lol (for @potatohead) so is calling someone Whiney not a personal insult? I thought you opposed such crass behavior :LOL: (for the record I might have been snarky toward you earlier but I challenge you to quote the “personal insult”)

“So step off” LOL LOL (one for potato one for Techster:ROFLMAO:)

Honestly, what are you talking about? I genuinely have no idea what you're talking about now. Whiney? Personal insult, oppose crass behavior? I have no idea what you're talking about.

Nothing better than a grown man obsessed with emojis and short-hand use. It doesn't matter either way, whatever.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Honestly, what are you talking about? I genuinely have no idea what you're talking about now. Whiney? Personal insult, oppose crass behavior? I have no idea what you're talking about.

Nothing better than a grown man obsessed with emojis and short-hand use. It doesn't matter either way, whatever.

Only the LOL was directed to you, because you seem to love them so much. The rest was directed to Techster