CPJ and CNW

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
First of all, where’s your evidence that says recruiting has changed dramatically in 40 years?

Seriously? You want evidence that recruiting has changed the last 40years. The entire world has changed dramatically in 40 years. But ok because you’re definitely one of those guys...

The internet

The growth of the sport from a revenue standpoint

The addition of multiple tv channels that provide visibility to more schools, college and high school.

Technology that allows parents to market their children outside of the high school coach

Nearly instant access to tape on every prospect

Social media obviously

Each one of these topics can be drilled down to more detail and more changes obviously, and there are plenty more.

Cpj probably made 25000 (less probably)as an assistant in the 70s. Now guys make min six figures and some as high as seven. Head coaches have seen even more growth. Just from a financial standpoint, the game has exploded the past 40 years. Everything has changed in the game; the speed, the apparel, bowl games, play offs, stadiums, training rooms, training tables, all facilities really, tailored curriculum, but recruiting hasn’t except social media? ok

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Nope. He was a 2 Star qb who’s biggest offer was southern miss. 5’11 and 165 pounds.

Tobias Oliver was a former state classification mvp and won state championships. But this doesn’t fit your narrative.

Okay...lol

I said He could have played at a non-P5 school but he his family is affluent and he wanted to go to school at UGA.

Thanks for supporting my point.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Seriously? You want evidence that recruiting has changed the last 40years. The entire world has changed dramatically in 40 years. But ok because you’re definitely one of those guys...

The internet

The addition of multiple tv channels that provide visibility to more schools, college and high school.

Technology that allows parents to market their children outside of the high school coach

Social media obviously

Each one of these topics can be drilled down to more detail and more changes obviously, and there are plenty more.

Cpj probably made 25000 (less probably)as an assistant in the 70s. Now guys make min six figures and some as high as seven. Head coaches have seen even more growth. Just from a financial standpoint, the game has exploded the past 40 years. Everything has changed in the game; the speed, the apparel, bowl games, play offs, stadiums, training rooms, training tables, all facilities really, tailored curriculum, but recruiting hasn’t except social media? ok
All that is correct, but doesn’t contradict what coach meant when he said it hadn’t changed. He even explained what he meant at length. Go back and listen to his explanation then come back and tell me what ain’t right about it.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Okay...lol

I said He could have played at a non-P5 school but he his family is affluent and he wanted to go to school at UGA.

You were using the excuse that our scout team cant mimick what other offense do well enough because of a talent gap. Someone brought up that UGA does fine with their Scout QB to show there was a talent gap which disproves your argument that our scout team cant give a good enough look because of a talent gap. You replied that the UGA scout QB was good in high school and could have played at a non-p5 school as if that backs up your original comments about our scouts team. Honestly, it’s just contradicting because he’s not a power 5 level QB which is what UGA plays, so by your own metric he’s not a good scout QB because of the talent gap. Your arguments hold no weight and they contradict because when you make a comment and someone debunks it you come up with something else that doesn’t even make sense with you originally comments instead of just admitting that your original comment wasn’t 100 percent accurate.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I'm talking about his claim that recruiting has changed in 40 years except for social media. That's not true and not a good way to look at it. The entire sport has changed, and changed dramatically. But you're saying he just said that because he didn't like the question and he's been asked that a bunch. Who cares? The way you guys on here describe CPJ makes him appear to be a baby and a pouter because "the big bwad pwess is mean and asks stewpid questions". Who gives a ****? Its a high profile leadership position that pays nearly $3mm/year. Outside of horribly offensive questions, these guys have to deal with the press; its a part of the job. If he can't handle it then he can take a massive pay cut and go down to FCS where its less high profile. That would be horrible for us, but damn if he's that sensitive and gets his feelings hurt so easily...

CPJ dealing with the press, and you not liking the way he deals with them, are two completely different things.

We get it. You want him to be kinder and gentler and pretend he hasn’t heard the same stupid questions from the same stupid journalist. Not all of us feel the same.

Journalists get paid an actual salary to do their jobs...are you implying they are so soft they can’t candle CPJ being mean and “bwad” to them? Maybe they need to consider a new profession if so.

I know you will probably contend that CPJ is the face of Tech and you don’t like the look he gives. Fine, write Bud and tell him to fire him. I’d rather have a coach that calls BS for what it is and not let false narratives of these nimrods define who Tech is instead.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Recruiting has absolutely changed. There are clearly way more tools and information than there was 40 years ago, staffs are much bigger, and the amount of money in the system is exponentially greater.

That said, I suspect CPJ's point is that, at its heart, recruiting is still about convincing 16-17 year old kids to come play at your school. And 16-17 year old kids today are fundamentally the same as 16-17 year old kids were 40 years ago. Despite changes in technology, social media, etc., the top players are still largely immature kids who are both somehow simultaneously insecure and egotistical, believe they will play in the NFL, want to go play for the most glamorous school that is recruiting them, want to be "the star," aren't worried so much about the education, and want to go to college, party, and get loads of hot girls. That is why Dazed and Confused is and will always be a timeless classic : ) Lol.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

The internet

Social media obviously

Yes the sport has exploded. That doesn’t mean the recruiting process has changed dramatically.

The biggest difference from 40 years ago is social media. Next biggest change is recruiting services and availability of video highlights. 40 years ago VCR tapes were coming into existence. Players used to send tapes. Now coaches have easier access to this stuff via the internet.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
You were using the excuse that our scout team cant mimick what other offense do well enough because of a talent gap. Someone brought up that UGA does fine with their Scout QB to show there was a talent gap which disproves your argument that our scout team cant give a good enough look because of a talent gap. You replied that the UGA scout QB was good in high school and could have played at a non-p5 school as if that backs up your original comments about our scouts team. Honestly, it’s just contradicting because he’s not a power 5 level QB which is what UGA plays, so by your own metric he’s not a good scout QB because of the talent gap. Your arguments hold no weight and they contradict because when you make a comment and someone debunks it you come up with something else that doesn’t even make sense with you originally comments instead of just admitting that your original comment wasn’t 100 percent accurate.

Oh please. I'm trying to tread a fine line of proving a point and not trying to denigrate our players.

If you think guys like Tobias Oliver, Jay Jones, and Chase Martenson are giving the same looks as other team's scout guys...even walk ons on other teams, hey, more power to you. The scout team QBs we have are good options QBs, but as passers, other teams have better passers as walk ons than GT has on scholarship. I'm sorry if it's hurting people's feelings, but that's the reality of situation with our offense.

ezbee

Georgia Tech Fan
Okay...lol

Actually your original point was we needed more high level prospects to play scout team qb. I pointed out that the OT runner up for the national championship had a scout team qb that was less regarded than any qb we’ve signed in recent years.

You then said he was “a friggin stud” who could’ve played non P5. while he had a shot at the powerhouses that are Mercer and Southern Miss, the fact is your original argument was shot out of the sky. He was no stud. He was an average high school qb that appears to be a good student with ivy offers. Certainly not a five star qb that would support your own statement “iron sharpens iron”. This dude isn’t iron. Lol.

Your argument about our scout team qb vs others, with all due respect, is stupid and I’ve already proved you wrong. (Now if you want to change the conversation to more quality depth breeds better competition and makes the team better, sign me up brother. I’m on board.)

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
It’s always a little sad in a debate when everyone except one person realizes that person has utterly lost the debate.

Your uga idol can’t replicate what a RPO qb can do as well as our QBs can. Doesn’t mean your idol can’t give a good scout team look for the mutts anyway. So don’t go and get your own feelings hurt @Techster.

Big Philly

Jolly Good Fellow

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It’s always a little sad in a debate when everyone except one person realizes that person has utterly lost the debate.

Your uga idol can’t replicate what a RPO qb can do as well as our QBs can. Doesn’t mean your idol can’t give a good scout team look for the mutts anyway. So don’t go and get your own feelings hurt @Techster.

OK...people are getting to personal insults now. Nice.

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
LOL....you must not follow recruiting or GA HS football.
Um yeah I do. Probably much more than you. GA's been a solid #4 behind texas, fl, and CA in recruiting since at least the 70's. Probably since the 60's and integration. Maybe ahead of of FL in the 70's and early 80s. . I do think QB play in the state of GA has gotten better over the past 10 years since many GHSA teams starting running the spread but the LB's, DL, and RB's have always been there. I'm pretty shocked at your little LOL bs. I mean you think GA was like some also ran or something putting players into D1 schools?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Oh please. I'm trying to tread a fine line of proving a point and not trying to denigrate our players.

If you think guys like Tobias Oliver, Jay Jones, and Chase Martenson are giving the same looks as other team's scout guys...even walk ons on other teams, hey, more power to you. The scout team QBs we have are good options QBs, but as passers, other teams have better passers as walk ons than GT has on scholarship. I'm sorry if it's hurting people's feelings, but that's the reality of situation with our offense.
You’re just reaching now, the dude was a walk on at UGA. Not a power 5 QB, he is not giving them the looks that other D1 schools are giving UGA in regular games. I never said those other guys on GT are giving just as good of looks that the D will see either, you’re assuming I think that. Your argument is that our QB’s don’t give the look that the D will see from other teams, and the fact of the matter is, not many schools have scout QB’s that are showing the same look, so we are in no different of a boat than those other schools, like UGA. The original argument was that our guys don’t give a good enough look, the reply was that UGA has a walk on as their scout QB so he’s not giving a good enough look either because their is a HUGE talent gap there with him from the QB’s UGA faces. You say our guys don’t pass well enough, yet you have no clue how well Jones or Johnson (who you keep leaving off your list) throw in practice. Actually CPJ was talking about how good either Jones or Johnson were doing as the scout QB and how good the looks he was giving (I can’t rememe which QB he was talking about) what about when a team like UGA plays a spread option offense? Their QB’s don’t run well enough do they? Yet you only talked about passing as if that’s the only aspect of football. You are just assuming our guys can’t run a scout team offense as well as a walk on, with no proff. It’s just an assumption, but you are treating it as fact.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Um yeah I do. Probably much more than you. GA's been a solid #4 behind texas, fl, and CA in recruiting since at least the 70's. Probably since the 60's and integration. Maybe ahead of of FL in the 70's and early 80s. . I do think QB play in the state of GA has gotten better over the past 10 years since many GHSA teams starting running the spread but the LB's, DL, and RB's have always been there. I'm pretty shocked at your little LOL bs. I mean you think GA was like some also ran or something putting players into D1 schools?

Hey, if I misinterpreted your original post....my bad. You said, More like uga/gt/aub/bama/tenn/Clem/UscE/fsu/uf. State of ga hasn’t just magically gotten better hs football players in the past 20 years.

I "lol" not to make fun of you, but to mean "Holy crap, recruits in GA have exploded and quality and quantity have gotten much better." From your follow up post, I think we both are in agreement about GA recruits.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
You’re just reaching now, the dude was a walk on at UGA. Not a power 5 QB, he is not giving them the looks that other D1 schools are giving UGA in regular games. I never said those other guys on GT are giving just as good of looks that the D will see either, you’re assuming I think that. Your argument is that our QB’s don’t give the look that the D will see from other teams, and the fact of the matter is, not many schools have scout QB’s that are showing the same look, so we are in no different of a boat than those other schools, like UGA. The original argument was that our guys don’t give a good enough look, the reply was that UGA has a walk on as their scout QB so he’s not giving a good enough look either because their is a HUGE talent gap there with him from the QB’s UGA faces. You say our guys don’t pass well enough, yet you have no clue how well Jones or Johnson (who you keep leaving off your list) throw in practice. Actually CPJ was talking about how good either Jones or Johnson were doing as the scout QB and how good the looks he was giving (I can’t rememe which QB he was talking about) what about when a team like UGA plays a spread option offense? Their QB’s don’t run well enough do they? Yet you only talked about passing as if that’s the only aspect of football. You are just assuming our guys can’t run a scout team offense as well as a walk on, with no proff. It’s just an assumption, but you are treating it as fact.

OK. I've said all I'm gonna say. We'll just have to agree to disagree...like the many other things we disagree about. :)

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
Um, Stetson Bennett was a friggin' stud in HS. He could have played at a non-P5 school but he his family is affluent and he wanted to go to school at UGA.

So a kid that "could play at a non-P5" school is a stud, but our players aren't? Stetson Bennett is a 5'11" 170 lb QB out of Pierce County. Best offer was GSU or MTSU. Somehow that way better than the scout team QBs we've had? Possibly, but only marginally