CPJ and CNW

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
OK, that's great...but OTHER team's offenses have changed. Spread offenses are more prevalent. Offenses have become more sophisticated.

Furthermore, coaching is much better, athletes are better, and relatively speaking CPJ isn't getting the athletes at GT that he got at GA Southern. CPJ said that recruiting at GA Southern use to be much different. If UGA/GT/Auburn/Alabama didn't recruit a kid in GA, usually GA Southern had a really good shot at them. That's not the case anymore because now EVERYONE recruits GA heavily. GA Southern use to be able to get the "best of the rest", but that's not the case anymore. Heck, CPJ all but admitted he's not getting the guys he wants at GT.

If you believe having guys like Jay Jones/Tobias Oliver/Chase Martenson (and this is not denigrating them) run a scout team's spread passing offense is good practice for our defense, great...keep believing that. Heck, Duke has begun signing dual threat QBs or QBs with the ability to run when needed. Not only has it changed Cutcliffe's play calling ability, but it's also given them the ability to mimic spread option teams better in practice. Other teams have better QBs squirreled away on their scout team that are higher rated than our starting QBs...which makes their scout team better at preparing their defenses.

There's a saying from the bible: "As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another." You can easily apply that to any sport.
More like uga/gt/aub/bama/tenn/Clem/UscE/fsu/uf. State of ga hasn’t just magically gotten better hs football players in the past 20 years.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Have you played football? If a coach is only giving looks and formations and not trying to simulate speed for the defense to practice against, that is one crap coach.

Every coach that faces Tech is a crap coach then. Because every single one of them admits their scout team can’t replicate the speed of our offense.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
All I know is it's been forever since we had a pass rush. We almost never get sacks.

Roof did a good job recruiting to the DT position but not the DE position. St. Amour was about the best he could get, and that was because (IIRC) Stanford dropped him. (BTW, very possible St. Amour makes a jump his senior season...showed some good stuff this year). Jordan Woods transferred out.

What I am hoping is that Woody's system will allow us to get more pressure from the edge or otherwise heat up the kitchen.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Every coach that faces Tech is a crap coach then. Because every single one of them admits their scout team can’t replicate the speed of our offense.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

GT is the only P5 program that runs this offense. I hope no one else can replicate the speed of our offense, or CPJ's tactical acumen on game days.

That said, better athletes on the scout team prepares your 1st team a lot better. Again, if people are arguing this point, they must not have much experience with football. Why are all the factories so good? Not just because they have better athletes, but because they have better athletes on their scout team prepping the first team. GT has depth problems, where do you think that affects? Scout team just as much as our guys who have to play on Saturdays.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
For what it's worth, using 247's neatly organized team talent rankings, starting next year only 3 ACC teams will have a 5* player on their roster: Clemson, Florida State, and Miami. And Miami will only have 1. There are only 5 remaining and I doubt they'll go to any one of the ACC schools that don't have one. It's not worth spending that many resources on the 5* players unless they happen to have a uniquely high interest in your school (example: Blanding and Brown going to Virginia 4 years ago). Where we're making strides is picking up solid 4* players, which should only increase as we add on 4 new recruiting staff members. Identifying 2-4 more 4* that come to our school each year will build up and should solidify us in the top 6 of the ACC in terms of talent. Of course, this is assuming that other schools aren't also making improvements, which will also likely happen when the ACC Network money hits. But considering we're 2nd to last in the ACC in spending, we should win the "Most Improved" recruiting award.

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
One aspect of adding additional recruiting staff I haven't seen mentioned is the potential for these staff members to take on responsibilities currently carried by assistant coaches thus enabling the assistant coaches to focus more on development of current players and game planning.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Uhhhh. Do you know who uga’s Scout team qb is? The one who got them ready for the Heisman trophy winner Baker Mayfield as well as Alabama???

Stetson Bennett the IV. A walk on. So yeah, I’d take Tobias Oliver running our scout team any day over him.

FYI...this was fun to watch.

slugboy

Staff member
LOL....you must not follow recruiting or GA HS football.
(Edited to make it clear I agree) The kids are bigger/stronger/faster than they were 20 years ago. Training is much more serious now. There are outside camps and trainers. Some parents are holding their kids back a year now so that they can be better athletes. It's a different world.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
(Edited to make it clear I agree) The kids are bigger/stronger/faster than they were 20 years ago. Training is much more serious now. There are outside camps and trainers. Some parents are holding their kids back a year now so that they can be better athletes. It's a different world.

Plus, Georgia has experienced a population boom in the last 20 years. Which means, more families moving in and more kids playing football.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Realist. And defensive. Look he goes after “5 Star” guys. Hasn’t landed any but I don’t thjnk it’s because he goes after 5stars halfheartedly, 4stars 3/4heartedly, and 3 Star guys whole heartedly.

It’s just never been easy for Tech to bring in a top 300 guy nationally. (Five star guys btw are top 50 nationally). It’s never been for a lack of trying by the head coach. But elite football players tend to be drawn to the bama’s, FSUs, Clemson’s, and ugas of the world.

And we all know why. You don’t have to like the why but you best grow up and recognize it. If you don’t like it find another team easier to root for maybe? Or maybe open up a wallet and contribute to help find and bring in elite guys?
But quit crying whenever someone points out that as much as we’d like to be, we ain’t bama, never have been, and never will be. Doesn’t mean we can’t still win championships and CPJ has never, ever, alluded to any such thing.
The head coach isnt supposed to bring up our past and talk about how bad we've been in the past in every press conference. CPJ should inspire the fan base instead of trying to teach us how average we are. It's aggravating

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
I also like how PJ had a dig at Saban's recruiting ability at MSU vs Bama and LSU. I'm sure Saban doesn't give AF, but PJ doesn't either. You could tell by the expression on Woody's face like "this guy doesn't give AF".

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I will say that I am getting a little tired of the whole "taking sides" thing with CPJ. Can't we all acknowledge a middle ground? CPJ has some excellent characteristics, but also flaws like anyone else.

--CPJ is an excellent offensive coach (top 15) .
--CPJ is an above average head coach (top 30).
--CPJ is probably an average or slightly below average recruiter (top 50) (his classes have generally been on par with the average for Tech classes since integration)
--CPJ seems to be a below average head coach managing defenses (top 65) (which is part of his job, though I would argue Woody may be the first time at Tech he has actually gotten his first choice hire)
--With the media, CPJ is a top tier coach in frankness, honesty, and insight (and I would argue wit), but is a lower tier coach in polish, optimism, and friendliness (i.e., he is more Saban than Dabo)

CPJ is also the 40th highest paid head coach, coaching at a school with serious budget and recruiting limitations.

Bottom line is that I would say his total performance has definitely exceeded his salary. That said, he will obviously be on the hot seat (and rightly so) if we have another poor season next year.

ezbee

Georgia Tech Fan
Um, Stetson Bennett was a friggin' stud in HS. He could have played at a non-P5 school but he his family is affluent and he wanted to go to school at UGA.

Nope. He was a 2 Star qb who’s biggest offer was southern miss. 5’11 and 165 pounds.

Tobias Oliver was a former state classification mvp and won state championships. But this doesn’t fit your narrative.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
im giddy. am i the only one who is giddy with this hire? while i loved roof because of his gt connections the kind of person he is and his being a decent coach.. i like this hire for what it brings to the football table.

imo woody didnt take other offers because he was looking for a good fit. ie i dont think he was looking to be the next lane kiffin at bama or old miss or fsu etc. i think gt is the kind of academic atmosphere that fit his personality. gt is kinda like being a wofford amongst the big boys.

ezbee

Georgia Tech Fan
FYI...this was fun to watch.

Then go be a fan of the uga scout team! Lol

By every recruiting service and also max preps, our QB’s are rated infinitely higher than this supposed stud who was barely a two year player for his high school.

But again, carry on with your made up argument.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
I will say that I am getting a little tired of the whole "taking sides" thing with CPJ. Can't we all acknowledge a middle ground? CPJ has some excellent characteristics, but also flaws like anyone else.

--CPJ is an excellent offensive coach (top 15) .
--CPJ is an above average head coach (top 30).
--CPJ is probably an average or slightly below average recruiter (top 50) (his classes have generally been on par with the average for Tech classes since integration)
--CPJ seems to be a below average head coach managing defenses (top 65) (which is part of his job, though I would argue Woody may be the first time at Tech he has actually gotten his first choice hire)
--With the media, CPJ is a top tier coach in frankness, honesty, and insight (and I would argue wit), but is a lower tier coach in polish, optimism, and friendliness (i.e., he is more Saban than Dabo)

CPJ is also the 40th highest paid head coach, coaching at a school with serious budget and recruiting limitations.

Bottom line is that I would say his total performance has definitely exceeded his salary. That said, he will obviously be on the hot seat (and rightly so) if we have another poor season next year.

didnt even mention his strongest suit imo. HE ACTUALLY GRADUATES HIS PLAYERS AT A HIGH RATE and still manages to make us relevant most of the time. AND they tend to stay out of trouble.