CPJ and CNW

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I love the narrative switch, too.

On the flip side, our offense has never had to consistently practice against an attacking defense. Perhaps this will also elevate our offense to new levels.

Come on guys. He talked about practicing against the run and how it helps them on defense. No where did CNW say that this offense prepares the defense overall as good as another offense might. Let's use some common sense.

What's he supposed to say in front of his new boss and the media? "Yeah, I think we're at a disadvantage, but CPJ is paying me $800K so I don't care...."?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Come on guys. He talked about practicing against the run and how it helps them on defense. No where did CNW say that this offense prepares the defense overall as good as another offense might. Let's use some common sense.

What's he supposed to say in front of his new boss and the media? "Yeah, I think we're at a disadvantage, but CPJ is paying me $800K so I don't care...."?
It wasn’t a disadvantage at GA Southern. I honestly don’t think it makes a huge difference. You have a scout team just like every other team in the country and that’s who the D is facing during the season. They are also practicing technique and other stuff when the brake into position groups just like every other team.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
So far I really like this guy, he's got a really good energy. I like the small wink after "I think we can win our (recruiting) battles." And the "No CTE" comment when talking about his memory was pretty funny. He was even able to get CPJ to smile and chuckle at a press conference! I think he'll be good on home visits. Don't worry about him as a recruiter at all.

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
PJ cusses people about recruiting. I love that MF'er

Umm, so you're asking people to give more money for support staff but at the same time the head Coach is telling everyone that recruiting is average at best, always has been that way and nothing will change that. Gee, where do I sign up?

For me, I have finally accepted that Tech is Tech and this is what we can expect. It has put me into this calm zen like place. Last night, I wasn't cheering for either team because it makes no difference for my team. We can not and will not be able to compete at that level no matter who we hire as HC or DC. It took years to accept this but I have and will save me money and lots of angst.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Umm, so you're asking people to give more money for support staff but at the same time the head Coach is telling everyone that recruiting is average at best, always has been that way and nothing will change that. Gee, where do I sign up?

For me, I have finally accepted that Tech is Tech and this is what we can expect. It has put me into this calm zen like place. Last night, I wasn't cheering for either team because it makes no difference for my team. We can not and will not be able to compete at that level no matter who we hire as HC or DC. It took years to accept this but I have and will save me money and lots of angst.
That’s not what CPJ said or even insinuated.

Yoda

Helluva Engineer

Damn life ain't that bad is it?

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes it was. He said, "how many 5 stars were recruited before me? We recruit those kids but it has to be a two way street? They have to want to come here too. UGA/Alabama recruit well based on who they are not the coach. Those coaches wouldn't recruit well at Tech either." paraphrasing of course. I agree and clearly they don't want to come here and more money isn't going to change that.

Last edited:

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Yes it was. He said, "how many 5 stars were recruited before me? We recruit those kids but it has to be a two way street? They have to want to come here too. UGA/Alabama recruit well based on who they are not the coach. Those coaches would recruit well at Tech either." paraphrasing of course. I agree and clearly they don't want to come here and more money isn't going to change that.
Must have missed the point where he said they are working on hiring new guys to help with that..... that’s what the money is for. You just took part of the comments so your not looking at the full picture.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It wasn’t a disadvantage at GA Southern. I honestly don’t think it makes a huge difference. You have a scout team just like every other team in the country and that’s who the D is facing during the season. They are also practicing technique and other stuff when the brake into position groups just like every other team.

CPJ isn't at GA Southern anymore.

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
Damn life ain't that bad is it?

Really, I'm not mad at all. I just think his comments on recruiting are just not helpful when you asking for more money.
Again, I have just accepted reality. No animosity towards anyone or any coaches. I think CPJ is a good coach and Woody seems like a solid hire.

Deleted member 2897

Yes it was. He said, "how many 5 stars were recruited before me? We recruit those kids but it has to be a two way street? They have to want to come here too. UGA/Alabama recruit well based on who they are not the coach. Those coaches wouldn't recruit well at Tech either." paraphrasing of course. I agree and clearly they don't want to come here and more money isn't going to change that.

Like @tech_wreck47 said, what you just quoted here and what you first accused him of saying are different things.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Yes it was. He said, "how many 5 stars were recruited before me? We recruit those kids but it has to be a two way street? They have to want to come here too. UGA/Alabama recruit well based on who they are not the coach. Those coaches would recruit well at Tech either." paraphrasing of course. I agree and clearly they don't want to come here and more money isn't going to change that.
Someone else already mentioned it, but in case you missed their reply I'll reiterate. The money for the 4 staff members is specifically to fix the issue about identifying players who are interested in us. To be frank, if you're a top athlete with plans for the NFL there is absolutely no reason you should go to GT and bust your butt in the classroom. You'd be limiting the time you get to spend developing the technique and physique needed to get a high draft position. However, there are a handful of highly rated guys out there who see the value in investing into your education for life after football. The money the staff is asking for is to fund 4 positions (offensive recruiter, defensive recruiter, underclassmen recruiter, social media recruiter) to find these guys.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer

Don't let CPJ do that you. He's really getting on my nerves as well but don't let him convince you we are supposed to be average

Deleted member 2897

Someone else already mentioned it, but in case you missed their reply I'll reiterate. The money for the 4 staff members is specifically to fix the issue about identifying players who are interested in us. To be frank, if you're a top athlete with plans for the NFL there is absolutely no reason you should go to GT and bust your butt in the classroom. You'd be limiting the time you get to spend developing the technique and physique needed to get a high draft position. However, there are a handful of highly rated guys out there who see the value in investing into your education for life after football. The money the staff is asking for is to fund 4 positions (offensive recruiter, defensive recruiter, underclassmen recruiter, social media recruiter) to find these guys.

Exactly. There are about 50 guys rated 5* every year and 250 guys rated 4* every year. There also several hundred strong mid and high 3* guys. There is a sub population of these guys who do care about academics (Demetris Robertson to give 1 recent example). We only probably need like 3-5 additional guys from this pool every year to measurably move the needle on talent. They are out there.

For those of you who care about class rankings, by illustration, last year we were #41 nationally according to Rivals, with 4 guys rated 4* and 1508 total points. If we had 4 more guys rated 5.8 instead of 5.5, that would have given us 180 incremental points to finish at 1688 total. That would have ranked #28.