CPJ and CNW

Deleted member 2897

I don't see the difference but ok.

Because you said he stated that nothing could change our recruiting and we will always be average. He never said or implied that.

What he said is that there is more to our recruiting than just who the coach is or what the system is. For example, Nick Saban at Georgia Tech wouldn't recruit anywhere near where he would at Alabama. CPJ with $10 million more in his pocket would recruit significantly better than CPJ right now. There is more to it than that.

Furthermore, the current football recruiting fundraising challenge isn't focusing on those players who know about us and don't want to come here.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Really, I'm not mad at all. I just think his comments on recruiting are just not helpful when you asking for more money.
Again, I have just accepted reality. No animosity towards anyone or any coaches. I think CPJ is a good coach and Woody seems like a solid hire.
He specifically said they were working on getting new staff members to help with recruiting. That’s what the money is for, so what did he say wrong or say that wasn’t true?

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
Well, I was working and listening so maybe I missed the part where he talked about how recruiting was going to get significantly better with more staff and the only difference between us and those top tier programs was money. Matter of fact, I took his response much like Yoda but I didn't care for it like Yoda did. I'm really over the snarky comments.

Personally, I'm at the point that I need to see some results to believe it. I don't believe a few extra staff members is going to close that gap significantly but time will tell. Again, I am NOT trying to change anyone's opinion. This is just my opinion.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Well, I was working and listening so maybe I missed the part where he talked about how recruiting was going to get significantly better with more staff and the only difference between us and those top tier programs was money. Matter of fact, I took his response much like Yoda but I didn't care for it like Yoda did. I'm really over the snarky comments.

Personally, I'm at the point that I need to see some results to believe it. I don't believe a few extra staff members is going to close that gap significantly but time will tell. Again, I am NOT trying to change anyone's opinion. This is just my opinion.
What would qualify as "some results"

Deleted member 2897

I apologize if I came off as snarky. I'm honestly not trying to be.

With regards to finishing around 4th in the ACC, I'd view that as an absolute highest possible ceiling. I'm NOT saying we should be okay with being average. But who is in the ACC? Teams like Miami, Clemson, Florida State, Louisville, Virginia Tech - teams that have tons of majors where illiterate kids can hide and teams that spend tens of millions more than we do every single year (all 5 of those typically finish in the top 25, with Miami/Clemson/Florida State usually being top 10). But finishing somewhere around 5th-6th I think is a responsible and fair goal for where we could get to instead of 10th-12th.

Last edited by a moderator:

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
Lol, not not you being snarky, CPJ being snarky about recruiting.

I totally agree with your last paragraph and is why I have decided to step away for a while. My wife asked me this year did I even enjoy it anymore. Apparently, I'm grumpy at the games and my own kids won't sit near me.

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't know. Again, couple of years ago I'm arguing we can do it and Tech can be a big time program. Does our recruiting now line up with our current budget? I mean additional resources can't hurt but I believe this is who we are at this point in college football. I used to argue with Hivered or whatever on Jacketsonline about us being a STEM school wasn't that big of a hurdle but I believe it is now.

Big Philly

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm going to have to find a way to rewatch App St. smash Toledo in their bowl game so I can see this defense in action instead of my casual glances at the time along the lines of "Damn, they are beating them to death. I guess App St. transitioned to FBS just fine."

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'm going to have to find a way to rewatch App St. smash Toledo in their bowl game so I can see this defense in action instead of my casual glances at the time along the lines of "Damn, they are beating them to death. I guess App St. transitioned to FBS just fine."
WatchESPN (ESPN3) has it.