Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
It literally took me less than 30 seconds to find several articles and several video clips just from CNN about the worries their are about new outbreaks resulting from protests. This included interviews with mayors and public health experts. What more were they supposed to do? How could the media have handled this properly?
Then what do you have to say about this? Don't say it's on Fox News so it can't be meaningful, because it shows a quote from the report
EZ1U1-YU4AERSs1

Here is an article about the letter from the health professionals. It does not include (probably deliberately) the entire quote I posted above, but it does include such nonsense as this line: "When it comes to the ongoing demonstrations, they said "as public health advocates, we do not condemn these gatherings as risky for COVID-19 transmission. We support them as vital to the national public health..."
https://www.upi.com/Health_News/202...rs-shouldnt-shut-down-protests/7881591382713/

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Then what do you have to say about this? Don't say it's on Fox News so it can't be meaningful, because it shows a quote from the report
EZ1U1-YU4AERSs1
I have no idea what this report is or who wrote it but even if it does say this I’m not sure how it is relative to the media’s coverage of coronavirus during the protests. If you have issues with the report then by all means criticize whoever wrote it.

Deleted member 2897

It literally took me less than 30 seconds to find several articles and several video clips just from CNN about the worries their are about new outbreaks resulting from protests. This included interviews with mayors and public health experts. What more were they supposed to do? How could the media have handled this properly?

I agree. Ive heard so many discussions on coronavirus on TV relative to the protests I can’t even guess how many. This issue of hypocrisy is not with the media in this case, but rather it’s the local and state authorities who selectively enforce the laws.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I have no idea what this report is or who wrote it but even if it does say this I’m not sure how it is relative to the media’s coverage of coronavirus during the protests. If you have issues with the report then by all means criticize whoever wrote it.
All 1300 public health "experts"? Yes, that's who signed it.

And liberals wonder why we are always skeptical when so called "experts" are quoted by the media.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I agree. Ive heard so many discussions on coronavirus on TV relative to the protests I can’t even guess how many. This issue of hypocrisy is not with the media in this case, but rather it’s the local and state authorities who selectively enforce the laws.
The reason you see the hypocrisy is they don’t really believe what they’re saying. If social distancing was vital they’d have a different statement. It’s not vital they just think it could possible maybe sort of might be a good idea. That’s why they waffle. That’s why we lose trust in what they say.

Deleted member 2897

EZ1U1-YU4AERSs1

If it makes anybody feel any better, you can read the exact same thing here, on CNN:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/05/health/health-care-open-letter-protests-coronavirus-trnd/index.html

The sheer gaul to state that the protest itself can be excused and endorsed, but based on the subject being protested, is completely devoid of any scientific bases whatsoever and exposes these people for what they really are.

Jacket4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
The way this virus has been handled just continues to show me how extreme American politics have become. It’s either extreme left or extreme right, and nobody in the middle with common sense. The media is the same way. It’s all fear and sensationalism with neither side reporting facts consistently with the health of the American people in mind. It’s all about headlines, and party lines.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
For Memorial Day, here's the excess death update. From 2/23/2020 to 5/9/2020, the excess deaths are projected to be about 153,000. That's more deaths (combat and other) in any war except WWII (405,000+ ) and Civil War (755,000). A lot more than Vietnam (58,000+). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_military_casualties_of_war

I won't be surprised if we get close to WWII given our lax standards.

Good news is we still looked to have peaked in mid-April. Bad news is the numbers aren't falling off as fast as we'd like.

View attachment 8374

Footnotes and links at https://gtswarm.com/threads/coronavirus-thread.21189/page-244#post-715196

If you look at the February data, you see this year is a couple percent less than average. Also the data shows a fairly smooth increase to mid-April and then a smooth fall off. There may well have been problems with the data early on, the CDC has botched up some of the data and come out with a different format about a month ago. I'm sure we'll do better on the next pandemic.

Excess projected deaths through week en 5/23 is now up to about 192,000 up from the 153,000 when I posted two weeks ago. Post above had links to data so I won't bother to repeat.

The projected excess death rate as well as COVID death rate is slowly decreasing. Let's see what happens. The only thing I'm confident of is the US will remain #1 in total reported COVID deaths given our large population and lax response.

upload_2020-6-7_10-24-36.png

When you consider all the other communicable diseases we squashed by staying at home, the lower shooting deaths, car accident deaths...if you subtract COVID deaths from that expected number and consider everything else that is down, we have tens and tens and tens of thousands of excess deaths from something else still.

The excess deaths are largley COVID. One problem with COVID death reporting is that each of the many thousands of doctors reporting deaths has to decide on cause(s) of death and which to put in whichever order of importance of causes.

There is fairly good agreement between the currently reported excess deaths and currently reported COVID deaths. Below is the comparison. The data makes sense to me that earlier on the number of COVID deaths reported would be lower than the excess deaths given the lack of testing.

Too many people are dying too soon. (We are all going to die, it's only a question of when.)

Back in two weeks maybe.

upload_2020-6-7_10-40-28.png

Deleted member 2897

Excess projected deaths through week en 5/23 is now up to about 192,000 up from the 153,000 when I posted two weeks ago. Post above had links to data so I won't bother to repeat.

The projected excess death rate as well as COVID death rate is slowly decreasing. Let's see what happens. The only thing I'm confident of is the US will remain #1 in total reported COVID deaths given our large population and lax response.

View attachment 8397

The excess deaths are largley COVID. One problem with COVID death reporting is that each of the many thousands of doctors reporting deaths has to decide on cause(s) of death and which to put in whichever order of importance of causes.

There is fairly good agreement between the currently reported excess deaths and currently reported COVID deaths. Below is the comparison. The data makes sense to me that earlier on the number of COVID deaths reported would be lower than the excess deaths given the lack of testing.

Too many people are dying too soon. (We are all going to die, it's only a question of when.)

Back in two weeks maybe.

View attachment 8399

So we have 192,000 excess deaths compared to normal, but about 105,000 COVID-19 deaths. Deaths from other diseases like the Flu, gun deaths, etc are way down. So we have a gap of another probably 100,000+ unexplained deaths. Are those from COVID-19 but unreported? Or what are they do you think?

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
The reason you see the hypocrisy is they don’t really believe what they’re saying. If social distancing was vital they’d have a different statement. It’s not vital they just think it could possible maybe sort of might be a good idea. That’s why they waffle. That’s why we lose trust in what they say.
You want public health experts to come out publicly and condemn black people for wanting to protest racial injustice? What exactly would that accomplish? You think tear gas and rubber bullets to the face aren’t slowing them down but concerns from public health experts will?

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
All 1300 public health "experts"? Yes, that's who signed it.

And liberals wonder why we are always skeptical when so called "experts" are quoted by the media.
So your solution is to ban expert opinion from news programs? Or maybe just to ridicule the experts on air? What are you hoping for here?

If it makes anybody feel any better, you can read the exact same thing here, on CNN:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/05/health/health-care-open-letter-protests-coronavirus-trnd/index.html

The sheer gaul to state that the protest itself can be excused and endorsed, but based on the subject being protested, is completely devoid of any scientific bases whatsoever and exposes these people for what they really are.
To sum it up: "Experts" agree --- Protest A BAD; it doesn't fit our agenda. Protest B GOOD; it fits our agenda. Either all protests are good, or all are bad. To take the stance that the "experts" are taking is total hypocrisy.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
You want public health experts to come out publicly and condemn black people for wanting to protest racial injustice? What exactly would that accomplish? You think tear gas and rubber bullets to the face aren’t slowing them down but concerns from public health experts will?

Maybe I'm missing something, but I've seen a LOT of concern about protesters and a surge of covid infections and potential hospitalizations. Literally all coverage has brought it up, and even mayors imploring people who are actively demonstrating to wear masks.

Of course, people choose to see what they want to see.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I've seen a LOT of concern about protesters and a surge of covid infections and potential hospitalizations. Literally all coverage has brought it up, and even mayors imploring people who are actively demonstrating to wear masks.

Of course, people choose to see what they want to see.
It's hard to see concern, when thousands of people at a time are ignoring social distancing guidance and the majority of them not wearing masks. That's not a question of seeing what we want to see; that's seeing what is happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.