Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2897

Didn't see any other thread that could serve as a good spot for this. South Korea unfortunately spike in the last 24 hours. Appears like someone or some people entered the country that were contagious and now its out and spreading. Lots of new cases spurring concern in Canada and elsewhere. The WHO is saying the feel like we may be inching over the point of being able to stop it.

A6mx2dE.png

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
They've suspended all study abroad programs at my school that are supposed to be in China. We have a large Chinese student body also. I wonder if they're stuck here in KY until this all ends?

Deleted member 2897

Japan canceled the prestigious Tokyo Marathon. I wonder about the march towards the Olympics.

Some of the stats we’re getting are a little iffy (China seems to have very low variability in their numbers), but here are some transmissibility (R0) numbers that UMich posted: https://sph.umich.edu/pursuit/2020posts/how-scientists-quantify-outbreaks.html

At work, I’m seeing more curtailing of international travel, and a lot of conferences with major corporations pulling out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have 6 weeks planned in Italy, Sicily, and Germany this summer. I sure hope those plans don't have to be cancelled. Thank God I have trip insurance .... assuming it covers cancellation due to something like the corona virus.

Flu kills 16,000 per year in the USA alone.....

it would take A LOT for Conoravirus to get into that neighborhood, as it’s mortality rate seems a bit low...
But there are preventative measure for the flu, through vaccines, and the majority who die from the flu have not taken the vaccine. There is currently no vaccine to prevent the human corona virus, and if infection reaches pandemic proportions, the death rate worldwide will increase very quickly.

Deleted member 2897

Hundreds of people overnight tested positive in Italy. ...of all places.

slugboy

Staff member
Flu kills 16,000 per year in the USA alone.....

it would take A LOT for Conoravirus to get into that neighborhood, as it’s mortality rate seems a bit low...

I hope you’re right. It’s new and we don’t have vaccines for it yet. China building hospital towns specifically for this virus gets my attention.
My CDC neighbors haven’t discussed it much, and the messages are conservative.
If it’s as bad as a bad influenza that we don’t have treatments for, it could be really bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deleted member 2897

About 0.2% of people in the US who get the flu each year die. Coronavirus is running around 2%. 10x higher. About 20-25 million Americans get the flu each year. So that’s the risk - that several hundred thousand people could die if it infects as many people as the regular flu.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Hundreds of people overnight tested positive in Italy. ...of all places.

That the government is essentially canceling carnival in Venice should be an indicator of how serious Italy believes it to be. Given their recent flooding the tourism dollars are sorely needed, but don’t outweigh the potential health risk associated with the virus. It is also manifesting itself in non-standard early phases (stomach pain, cough, difficulty breathing,fever, no early indicators, or combination of) and seems to be contagious before any symptoms occur. It’s survivability rate outside of the body is still relatively unclear but concerning.

Add in that many major companies in China have begun pressuring the government to lift some of their quarantine zones and travel restrictions and who knows what comes next. My understanding is that most of the models the CDC and other WHOs generate are suggesting their may be a significantly higher number of cases currently reported.

This post isn’t meant to fear monger, just share information and this is a great PSA to remind people about being diligent with personal hygiene (frequent hand washing 20-30 seconds with soap, don’t tough your face with hands that haven’t been washed, cough into your elbow joint, etc).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Has anyone been actively following the WHO news conferences? The one this morning featured the Team Leader from the multi-nation task force and he seemed to be stepping all over himself as to what a fantastic job China has done with handling this virus.

Status
Not open for further replies.