Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Pre-protests, we were told anyone that went out in public in groups and/or without a mask was ignoring science. So, can we now acknowledge that people going out in mass gatherings to protest are ignoring statistics? I’m confused. Is ignoring science worse than ignoring statistics?
Everyone going out in protests is endangering themselves in many ways, coronavirus included. No one is ignoring anything. They feel the cause they are supporting is important enough to take these risks. These protests obviously are a huge risk for outbreaks. No one has denied that in any way.

Are you suggesting that that there should be different protest rules (as it relates to coronavirus) that are dependent on what one is protesting for or against?
As I posted earlier, "Experts" agree --- Protest A BAD; it doesn't fit our agenda. Protest B GOOD; it fits our agenda. Either all protests are good, or all are bad. To take the stance that the "experts" are taking is total hypocrisy.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
That perspective is anti-science. If you are trying to stop the spread of the virus, the rules don’t change. Health experts and scientists shouldn’t be making political points. They should state unequivocally “these protests like any other mass gatherings risk dramatically increasing the spread of the disease. We are not passing judgment on whether these protests are valuable or important, as that is not our charter. We are only speaking to the science of the spread of the disease.”
I don't completely disagree, im not sure why they would even need to say that. Frankly, im not sure why this report exists. Maybe there is more to it than that one line.

LibertyTurns

Banned
As I posted earlier, "Experts" agree --- Protest A BAD; it doesn't fit our agenda. Protest B GOOD; it fits our agenda. Either all protests are good, or all are bad. To take the stance that the "experts" are taking is total hypocrisy.
How did my post suggest that at all?
I guess I’m confused, you posted exactly what you said you didnt imply to post???

You want public health experts to come out publicly and condemn black people for wanting to protest racial injustice?

Milwaukee

Banned
Everyone going out in protests is endangering themselves in many ways, coronavirus included. No one is ignoring anything. They feel the cause they are supporting is important enough to take these risks. These protests obviously are a huge risk for outbreaks. No one has denied that in any way.

For the record lol

Funny times on a Sunday.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I guess I’m confused, you posted exactly what you said you didnt imply to post???
Huh? I didn't compare this protest to anything so how am I comparing protests? All I said is that Public Health experts are not going to come out and condemn a peaceful protest. Are you drinking this early on a Sunday?

Deleted member 2897

Huh? I didn't compare this protest to anything so how am I comparing protests? All I said is that Public Health experts are not going to come out and condemn a peaceful protest. Are you drinking this early on a Sunday?

That’s not the point of the debate. Over 1,000 health experts did come out publicly and signed on to a letter specifically stating what we referenced earlier - that some mass gatherings are okay and some are not - it depends on the purpose of why you are there. Science does not support such a position, which eviscerates their credibility. Nobody should ever listen to them again. We now know they are guided by an agenda other than science. Some would say their agenda has always been suspect, but now they’ve shown their hand publicly and openly.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
That’s not the point of the debate. Over 1,000 health experts did come out publicly and signed on to a letter specifically stating what we referenced earlier - that some mass gatherings are okay and some are not - it depends on the purpose of why you are there. Science does not support such a position, which eviscerates their credibility. Nobody should ever listen to them again. We now know they are guided by an agenda other than science.
You are twisting it into what you want it to be. They aren't even remotely insinuating that one large group of people is less likely to spread the virus than another large group of people. They are just not condemning something that many feel is needed for society in general, in spite of the risks. It is somewhat of a political statement but to turn it into they are saying science works one way for some and another way for others is really just dishonest.

LibertyTurns

Banned
It is somewhat of a political statement but to turn it into they are saying science works one way for some and another way for others is really just dishonest.
That’s exactly the point.

The Constitution shouldn’t work one way for some & another way for others. Neither should the government, your local sheriff’s department, college admissions, job interview & a whole bunch of other things.

Deleted member 2897

You are twisting it into what you want it to be. They aren't even remotely insinuating that one large group of people is less likely to spread the virus than another large group of people. They are just not condemning something that many feel is needed for society in general, in spite of the risks. It is somewhat of a political statement but to turn it into they are saying science works one way for some and another way for others is really just dishonest.

They ARE saying science works different ways based on who you are, based on their statement. I’m glad you disagree and don’t feel that way, but none of us can change what they said. It’s in writing. But thanks for your insult anyway.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
If this virus is capable of detecting the difference between one type of protest vs another or one political persuasion, then it HAS to have been created in a lab.

And that discovery is either Noble worthy or Dr Evil level

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
....... We’re 192,000 over average deaths, but COVID-19 deaths are 105,000. So there are either nearly 100,000 others who have died of it but aren’t recorded or a lot of people are dying of other things right now that we’re missing...or both...or the average death rate is way off as others have pointed out for their states.

We are 192,000 over projected average deaths once all the data is in. Current COVID deaths are about 105K for the incomplete data which is in. A lot of people (most) die outside of hospitals and there isn't "quick" filing of death certificates with the cause listed.

No matter really. You'll like this info. It points out how complicated things get when you try and understand the details. I think many causes of death have been changed by COVID, some up and down. https://www.mauldineconomics.com/frontlinethoughts/covid-19-a-data-driven-analysis

Peace. Out.

Actually, if you read the summary article on that report, you would find out that they did essentially that very thing. They equate racial disharmony to a pandemic. Here is the link to that article if you missed it earlier....https://www.upi.com/Health_News/202...rs-shouldnt-shut-down-protests/7881591382713/

I heard an interesting report on my local news tonight. A nursing home in NJ has been said to have had 700+ Covid deaths there. Upon investigation, the creator of the report I saw found that that particular nursing home had less than 100 beds and in fact had only had 16 Covid deaths. This was not a case of the nursing home reporting false data, in fact the reporter said the administrator at that nursing home laughed when he heard it. Similarly nursing homes in Georgia and Washington (the state) have had deaths reported when there were ZERO deaths at those homes. Makes one wonder how many other situations like this exist, and indeed if the entire reporting of deaths might be in question.

Deleted member 2897

We are 192,000 over projected average deaths once all the data is in. Current COVID deaths are about 105K for the incomplete data which is in. A lot of people (most) die outside of hospitals and there isn't "quick" filing of death certificates with the cause listed.

No matter really. You'll like this info. It points out how complicated things get when you try and understand the details. I think many causes of death have been changed by COVID, some up and down. https://www.mauldineconomics.com/frontlinethoughts/covid-19-a-data-driven-analysis

Peace. Out.

The 110,000 (current) deaths number isn’t the death certificate count. The CDC death certificate count is 92,000. I just went to the CDC site and looked it up before posting this.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Fwiw, NYC begins Phase 1 Reopening today, which includes construction & manufacturing getting back to work.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
You want public health experts to come out publicly and condemn black people for wanting to protest racial injustice? What exactly would that accomplish? You think tear gas and rubber bullets to the face aren’t slowing them down but concerns from public health experts will?
Protest---sure. Rob, pillage, and burn---hell no.

Deleted member 2897

Brazil continued to explode last week, hitting a massive new daily death total of 1,500. Then the government decided to stop posting and announcing the data. So the hottest part in the entire world for COVID-19 is now a data black hole.

South Carolina is in the middle of an explosion.

After months of 75-175 new cases per day, we broke 300 a week ago, then 400, then 500. After months of having less than a 5% positive test result rate, we've spent the last couple weeks at 8% and 9%+. All the signs are there of a full-on outbreak. The hospital/ICU numbers are the only silver lining - they haven't changed at all. We've been running about 75 COVID-19 cases in the ICU statewide over the last couple months and that hasn't changed at all. But this will be the big week to watch for those numbers, as the lag time from testing positive and then to entering the ICU is about to hit. A nurse friend of mine said a high percentage of the test result callbacks she's been doing are in the 20-24 demographic (they are a lot of the protestors and the first ones who went back out to pack bars and restaurants). Lets hope we get a lot of these positive tests, but no change to hospitalization rate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.