Confirmation BG Will Be Retained

gtg771r

Jolly Good Fellow
It's official- GT does not care about basketball anymore. Pretty sad when you're the 4th best team in the state. Glad the Hawks are playing well so I can get my bball fix. Wake me up when this is over. Ugh...

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
Tech’s Bobinski grants Gregory one last chance

Quotes from MBob:
  • “I jumped on both sides of the fence”
  • “A lot of things didn’t allow him to get off to a fast start
  • Bobinski said he told Gregory that his patience will run out “the minute I believe we’re not making substantive progress.” What constitutes progress? “It’s not as much a number a clear sign … and a belief in the future.”
  • We had figured all that (financial stuff) out. That was not a driver, not a factor, not a decision-maker here.
  • He said he told Gregory, “Offense can’t be something we do between defensive possessions.” He said: “We can’t continue to be close.” He said of Tech: “The elements are in place. We have a great arena. This is a city that’s going to be attractive to a young man playing college basketball. There’s no reason not to have a successful college basketball program.”
  • “I don’t sit here in a conflicted state,” he said. “I know we’re going to get the best shot Brian has to offer.”
The big one is Bobinski stating that the financials weren't the reason for keeping Gregory. Obviously he's not gonna come out and say they would have fired him if they had the money so it's your choice whether to believe him or not

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I will NEVER root against GT and especially will not root against our players to do bad so a coach is closer to being let go. However, I do retain the right to not care anymore until something changes...whether that's the coach, or our W-L record. That's not bandwagoning...it's being judicious with my time. As I get older, time becomes a more valuable commodity. No way I'm making a 3 hour commitment and spending money to watch our team flail about.

The irony in this whole CBG fiasco is when MBob got hired, everyone was pretty unanimous in saying our BBall program will be in good hands because of what he did with the Xavier BBall program. Well, that sentiment certainly needs to be reviewed.
3 hour commitment? I quickly realized I only needed to watch the last 7-8 minutes of the game no matter how far ahead or behind we were at halftime.

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
Quotes from MBob:
  • Bobinski said he told Gregory that his patience will run out “the minute I believe we’re not making substantive progress.” What constitutes progress? “It’s not as much a number a clear sign … and a belief in the future.”
  • We had figured all that (financial stuff) out. That was not a driver, not a factor, not a decision-maker here.
  • He said he told Gregory, “Offense can’t be something we do between defensive possessions.” He said: “We can’t continue to be close.” He said of Tech: “The elements are in place. We have a great arena. This is a city that’s going to be attractive to a young man playing college basketball. There’s no reason not to have a successful college basketball program.”
  • “I don’t sit here in a conflicted state,” he said. “I know we’re going to get the best shot Brian has to offer.”

I read your entire post before I clicked the link and am being 100% serious when I say that I was cracking up thinking you made up the quotes and were being funny.

Then I clicked the link and felt utter sadness.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.

Quotes from MBob:
The big one is Bobinski stating that the financials weren't the reason for keeping Gregory. Obviously he's not gonna come out and say they would have fired him if they had the money so it's your choice whether to believe him or not
So now MBobs a liar too!!!

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
Ok folks, the announcement is in. We can do 1 of 2 things. Get behind the program (and by extension the coach) or not.

I am ready to double down and pull hard for the squad next year. Hope we see some improvement - and the recruiting season isn't finished yet. I have to believe there is going to be change in the air with this decision - so keeping positive and ready to look for and find the best!

^ +1000

What would be the best of outcomes, given the circumstances? That would be if Gregory can finally turn it around and put together a good season. I hope no one here wants to see him fail... If they start winning, the attendance should bounce back, and that would take care of some recruiting.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
The best case scenario is gregory reads the writing on the wall and takes another job somewhere far away.

And don't kid yourself about things bouncing back. Hewitt going to the ACC CG and winning a game in the NCAAT didn't save him any the next year. Nothing next year's team does will save gregory. It's not a matter of how this saga will end. It's simply a matter of when.

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
This has really turned into a toxic situation for Gregory. He will go into next season with thoughts of how we blew every close game this year and also how, conservatively, 50% of fans wanted him fired as well as his boss. Talk about a bad situation to try and perform in... I would love to see him turn it around since he's obviously our guy for 1-3 more seasons, but with this amount of pressure I can't see him doing anything but falling flat on his face.
Help take some of the pressure off him and pull for him and the team! Maybe send him an encouragement letter...

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
ANYONE could have just fired CBG.

Who here knows what was said in their talk?

How do we know a greatly reduced payout is not now in place?

How do we know he was only given 1 year?

How does anyone here know CBG has not received a great commitment from some star recruits?

What if a majority of this team transferred if CBG was fired?

How does anyone know that those close loses this year will not be wins next year?

How do we know MBob has not been doing legwork already and saw we could not do better with what we could offer?

We do know that we have too many guys complaining instead of standing behind the coach and players, but willing to bet they stood behind a goof ball loser like ccg.

Many just need to stay home and whine next year, many of us are going to stand by our program and our S/As.

Stop it. This is about mismanagement of GTAA's finances and personnel by its AD and has nothing to do with "loyalty". Mismanagement will kill the brand, as it has done to many brands over the years. Some organizations can survive an thrive for 50 or 100 years of they are well managed (Coke) while others are flashes in the pan and disappear 20 years after their peak, and it has NOTHING to do with loyalty of the fans, it has to do with management and putting good product out there.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
the sad thing is that almost everyone should be returning and we lost a lot of close games this year. If we improve any, which we should and we grab a frshman that can help score, we could win enough for people to want to keep Gregory...

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
So MBoob is giving him one more year with a very short leash. That should really help our recruiting efforts.

With a the amount of scholllies we have to give next year, if CBG has another bad season, our new coach will be lucky to have 6-7 scholarship players his first year.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Obviously he's not gonna come out and say they would have fired him if they had the money...

This. I feel like there are some people on this board that don't realize that part of MBob's job is public relations/marketing. Whether he believes it or not, he had to come out and say that the last extension was not about recruiting. Similarly, he now has to say that this decision was not about money. Anything else, and he is absolutely burying the coach and killing the program. It is not so much lying, as saying what needs to be said and supporting your guy once you have made a decision. Even though I don't believe the statements, I am fine with them, as that is what the AD has to say and should say, regardless of whether it is the truth.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Actually it is lying and AD's are good at it. DRad said money was not an issue in the last hire -that was a lie.
If MBob had the money to buy out the 2 contracts and hire who he wanted he would have - he did not.
This is largely a financial issue but the AD is not going to say that as it buries the coach.
It's up to the fans and alums to see through the bald faced lies and say otherwise.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
wadpon.jpg

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Quotes from MBob:

Less respect. Just me?