Confirmation BG Will Be Retained

New Old Guy

Jolly Good Fellow
I have been reading these threads in recent weeks, and I think I understand a lot of the angst you are all expressing. I have been reluctant to post anything, and what I am about to type will probably not be very popular. But here goes.

Many have expressed that CBG is a "nice guy", and he is. But IMO the decision to stick with him goes way beyond that, and even supersedes the money issue. CBG inherited a mess -- a basketball mess for sure, but also an academic mess. In CPH's last years our APR was so bad that we lost scholarships. Under CBG's stewardship, our basketball APR has been perfect the last three years, and the multi-year APR as monitored by the NCAA is now one of the best among the P5 conferences. Scholarships have been restored. Not only that, our basketball players are excellent representatives of Georgia Tech, on and off the court. They play hard almost all the time. In spite of the heart breaking losses this season, they never gave up.

Yes, our offense is hard to watch sometimes, and we don't have that "go to guy" at crunch time. Yes, CBG's play selection and substitution patterns are hard to understand, at least for me. I get all that. It is frustrating - I am a season ticket holder so I experience the frustration up close and personal. But in this case I think the decision was about much more than wins and (close) losses. I think the President, the Athletic Director and the key alumni all give CBG a lot of credit for how he runs the basketball program, and they apparently felt that his overall progress warranted another year.

I certainly want us to win more games. I want to be clear about that. I want to be proud of our basketball performance again, like football this year. But I also value the kind of young men we have developed, and their performance in the classroom as well as on the court. There is absolutely no reason we cannot have it all -- good academic performance by our SA's, good results on the court, and high character young men. I believe that CBG and MBob know that bad basketball cannot be offset by good academics and high character. If results don't improve, I expect that we will have to make a change. But I am not that surprised that CBG is being given a little more time to try and get those better results.

franklinjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
This has really turned into a toxic situation for Gregory. He will go into next season with thoughts of how we blew every close game this year and also how, conservatively, 50% of fans wanted him fired as well as his boss. Talk about a bad situation to try and perform in... I would love to see him turn it around since he's obviously our guy for 1-3 more seasons, but with this amount of pressure I can't see him doing anything but falling flat on his face.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Couldn't have been handled any worse by MBob...terrible job.

He already did some screwed up things when negotiating with CPJ...now he has royally messed this one up.

...and to make it even worse he has pissed off one of our top donors in this process by asking him for money last week...then telling him twice that Gregory would be fired...now my friend says he will no longer give money while M-Bob is here.

As for the future of our program...this is the kiss of death. We will continue to be a the laughing stock of the ACC and next season is a huge recruiting year for our future...we have a bunch of scholarships to use and I have no doubt we will not end up with a strong class.

This is going to kill the program for the next several years.
I really don't like the sound of that. Did Mbob get the money and then not follow through with what he said he was going to do? If that is the case then you can bet your arse that the donors will come up with a way to banish him along with CBG when the time is right. I'm assuming MBOB didnt just ask 1 person, but multiple people for money to handle the buyout. If a situation like this occurred in multiple places.. our bball future may be at stake. I just don't see any way out of this debacle unless Jaylen Brown comes to save the day.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I cannot wish for bad things regarding our basketball team, but this makes me lean toward banishing myself for a while. Very troubling day that I spent doing physical things. Too troubling to sit and ponder.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
If Gregory was getting talented recruits, it would make all the close losses easier to take because you know the future can be a success with the addition of a few good players. Also if we were getting good recruits, it might this offense a little better and not so much standing around doing nothing. Highly doubt it, but possible. I am still in shock that he was retained, even if you "couldn't" afford the buyout....if the AD really wanted him gone he would of find a way. SMH. In one last attempt to save the program for the next 10 years......Please Jaylen Brown, come to GT

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I have been reading these threads in recent weeks, and I think I understand a lot of the angst you are all expressing. I have been reluctant to post anything, and what I am about to type will probably not be very popular. But here goes.

Many have expressed that CBG is a "nice guy", and he is. But IMO the decision to stick with him goes way beyond that, and even supersedes the money issue. CBG inherited a mess -- a basketball mess for sure, but also an academic mess. In CPH's last years our APR was so bad that we lost scholarships. Under CBG's stewardship, our basketball APR has been perfect the last three years, and the multi-year APR as monitored by the NCAA is now one of the best among the P5 conferences. Scholarships have been restored. Not only that, our basketball players are excellent representatives of Georgia Tech, on and off the court. They play hard almost all the time. In spite of the heart breaking losses this season, they never gave up.

Yes, our offense is hard to watch sometimes, and we don't have that "go to guy" at crunch time. Yes, CBG's play selection and substitution patterns are hard to understand, at least for me. I get all that. It is frustrating - I am a season ticket holder so I experience the frustration up close and personal. But in this case I think the decision was about much more than wins and (close) losses. I think the President, the Athletic Director and the key alumni all give CBG a lot of credit for how he runs the basketball program, and they apparently felt that his overall progress warranted another year.

I certainly want us to win more games. I want to be clear about that. I want to be proud of our basketball performance again, like football this year. But I also value the kind of young men we have developed, and their performance in the classroom as well as on the court. There is absolutely no reason we cannot have it all -- good academic performance by our SA's, good results on the court, and high character young men. I believe that CBG and MBob know that bad basketball cannot be offset by good academics and high character. If results don't improve, I expect that we will have to make a change. But I am not that surprised that CBG is being given a little more time to try and get those better results.

I admire your stance. But you are incorrect in your assumption.

The ONLY reason he is here, is because we cant afford to fire him. If we werent paying on CPH's buyout CBG would be a distant (terrible) memory and Michael White would be turning this program around........And graduating players.

BTW, some may say that Glen Rice Jr, Solo Poole and Chris Bolden arent exactly pillars of the Atlanta community.

franklinjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Would JB even make a difference? He would be worth a few extra wins, but wouldn't bringing him in make the drop off in 2016-2017 worse?

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
We have a unique situation....the best offense in football and the worst in basketball. Welp. My Dream line-up for next year:
PG-Travis(if he pushes the ball up the floor and stops shooting so much)
SG- Tadric(good athete/finisher, also needs to stop shooting so many jumpers. Get to the rim)
SF- Jaylen "Boss" Brown (nothing to say besides baller)
PF- Nick Jacobs(his appearance and built looks nice, and I have heard good things about his game)
F/C- Charles Mitchell( beast when he is under control....terrible when he goes on his turnover rampage)
Of course MGH would start for Tadric at the 2 if he returns healthy and in the same form. The bench is pretty ugly besides Q.....hopefully we get some recruits from the Jaylen Brown effect

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Would JB even make a difference? He would be worth a few extra wins, but wouldn't bringing him in make the drop off in 2016-2017 worse?
Yes. He would make a huge difference, even if it is just for 1 year. Have you ever seen him play in person? He is a next level elite player. He could have gotten Tech to at least the NIT this year with this crappy team.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
MGH isnt a part of your dream line up?

If JB decided to grace us with his presence Mitchell would come off the bench.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If you were the top recruit in the country, would you commit to a school that is retaining its coach only because it cannot afford to fire him?

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
MGH isnt a part of your dream line up?

If JB decided to grace us with his presence Mitchell would come off the bench.
He is. I think he would slide down to the 2 so it would allow us to have 2 bigs in the game still and be able to have 2 scorers off the bench in Jackson/Q. And I was going based off him being hurt and not being able to fully recover.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
If you were the top recruit in the country, would you commit to a school that is retaining its coach only because it cannot afford to fire him?
If I was top recruit, I would go were the money takes me...so probably Kentucky or Duke. In Jaylen's case, he has a good relationship with Gregory. And if he chose to come here it would be so he can play near his fam and friends before he hits the league

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer

Assuming he's gonna be a 1 and done, he wouldn't really care about BG's job security past next year (which has now been locked up). Also, there's no question that the players like and support BG and it has been made clear that BG's relationship with Jaylen (he's been recruiting him since 8th grade) is the reason we are still involved with him.

You could argue that the top recruit in the country wouldn't want to commit to a school that went 12-19 last year, but I don't think you can't argue that it will be because of Gregory

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Assuming he's gonna be a 1 and done, he wouldn't really care about BG's job security past next year (which has now been locked up). Also, there's no question that the players like and support BG and it has been made clear that BG's relationship with Jaylen (he's been recruiting him since 8th grade) is the reason we are still involved with him.

You could argue that the top recruit in the country wouldn't want to commit to a school that went 12-19 last year, but I don't think you can't argue that it will be because of Gregory
100% spot on

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
#287 in FG% #341 in 3pt%

Our talent is not that bad. No blue chip player should want to play for us. MGH and CB should consider transferring.