Confirmation BG Will Be Retained

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
Is hiring an assistant(s) -- especially offensive-minded one(s), especially superb late-game strategy one(s) -- a viable option? Is this something we could do?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Wait a minute that sounds like a class act, something someone might do at an elite academic institution, someplace where the whole community acts like they are part of the same team, whether you are teaching physics or rowing, leading a public forum on infrastructure development or practicing with the musicians. As a matter of fact that is something I would expect at Harvard or Cambridge or Oxford or . . . . .
any place where people respect great efforts, pull for their colleagues and always act like gentlemen until the last round is called.

As a Harvard graduate (as well as GT) I can assure you your concepts here are sadly mistaken and highly idealistic (and unrealistic).

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Is hiring an assistant(s) -- especially offensive-minded one(s), especially superb late-game strategy one(s) -- a viable option? Is this something we could do?
The issue here is who do you get rid of and is that justified?

What you can do is hire a coaching mentor to be with you in season.

Steve Lavin hired Gene Keady as a consultant when he went to St. John's. Shaka Smart uses Denny Kuiper as a consultant. There are other ways to skin a cat. He'd better figure them out quickly.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is going to be very unpopular, but this is probably my last thoughts before I turn the page to next season.
Based on what we have learned in the last week, my gut is now that we should just keep Gregory to the end of his contract. It is clear that MBob has damaged himself with some alumni. He was unable to get in front of this and be prepared and get the money lined up. Realistically with the years of poor decisions in the AA about this program, we need to probably step back, take our medicine, be the ACC whipping boy, and start from scratch once the buyouts are over.

What I think I would do now is the following. I'd let Gregory know he is my coach for the next three years. But I do not plan to extend his contract or give him a raise. When the 3 years are up I plan to move in another direction. Once the buyouts are gone, we start from complete scratch and rebuild the program like it is the end of the Dwayne Morrison days. Frankly, Gregory is likely to walk before that is up - if he does, then you are out of the buyout game sooner and start the rebuild sooner. If not, its 3 years.

Its horrible for the fans, but at least you are no longer continuing to make horrible decisions in the AA and digging an ever bigger hole. We should only go after a new coach once we can be released from any previous buyouts which inhibit our ability to bring in quality coaches.

You can sort of see the dark place i've gone to - but it is where I am.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
http://markbradley.blog.ajc.com/201...-have-afforded-to-fire-gregory-i-believe-him/

I believe Bobinski when he says he wants to give Gregory — who was hired by Radakovich and whose first season here was, due to Tech playing in two borrowed arenas, a rough ride — enough time that the new AD, who arrived in April 2013, can make a full assessment. I disagree that four years isn’t a sufficient sample size, but I take Bobinski at his word when he says he’s trying to be fair.

From our round table — yes, the four of us actually sat at a round table in Bobinski’s office — Q-and-A, I can report that Gregory’s boss is no Gregory apologist. “We can’t stay where we are,” Bobinski said. And: “We can’t continue to be close.” And: “Offense can’t be something we do between defensive possessions.” And this: “All the elements are in place … There’s no reason not to have a successful college basketball program.”

I think this can explain how Bobinski is seeing this different from us. He is valuing Gregory a lot higher than us, and maybe that's why he overpaid by extending Gregory with more buyouts, and why he is bringing him back for one more year. Just saying that it is also a likely explanation, and it would explain both events (weird extension and not firing now.)

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
This is going to be very unpopular, but this is probably my last thoughts before I turn the page to next season.
Based on what we have learned in the last week, my gut is now that we should just keep Gregory to the end of his contract. It is clear that MBob has damaged himself with some alumni. He was unable to get in front of this and be prepared and get the money lined up. Realistically with the years of poor decisions in the AA about this program, we need to probably step back, take our medicine, be the ACC whipping boy, and start from scratch once the buyouts are over.

What I think I would do now is the following. I'd let Gregory know he is my coach for the next three years. But I do not plan to extend his contract or give him a raise. When the 3 years are up I plan to move in another direction. Once the buyouts are gone, we start from complete scratch and rebuild the program like it is the end of the Dwayne Morrison days. Frankly, Gregory is likely to walk before that is up - if he does, then you are out of the buyout game sooner and start the rebuild sooner. If not, its 3 years.

Its horrible for the fans, but at least you are no longer continuing to make horrible decisions in the AA and digging an ever bigger hole. We should only go after a new coach once we can be released from any previous buyouts which inhibit our ability to bring in quality coaches.

This is what I essentially said in another thread. I don't care if they extend him, but no guaranteed money. We're probably not going to be much worse than we've been, and 3 years to get out from under this perpetual gristmill is the price we pay for mismanagement.

gtbync

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe the AD and CBG has an agreement that if don't make it to the big dance that he just resigned and we don't have to buy him out. We can only assume what was said behind closed doors

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
As a Harvard graduate (as well as GT) I can assure you your concepts here are sadly mistaken and highly idealistic (and unrealistic).
That's too bad then.
It was not only the ideal but the expectation where I went to school. If someone was given a new job or a new contract you congratulated them.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
The issue here is who do you get rid of and is that justified?

What you can do is hire a coaching mentor to be with you in season.

Steve Lavin hired Gene Keady as a consultant when he went to St. John's. Shaka Smart uses Denny Kuiper as a consultant. There are other ways to skin a cat. He'd better figure them out quickly.
Yea his clock has been ticking since before the announcement was made public. CBG has got to see that what he's been doing isn't enough to get it done. Hopefully he takes a different approach to this offseason and next season so we're not last in the ACC again getting beat down by the BCs and WF of the world. If he's not embarassed about his performance the past 4 years then.. He might as well start sending out his resume to mid major schools. Maybe even Div 2.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer

Now that the decision has been made... I see this as the best most viable option. By the time his 3 years are up, we'll be out from under all the buyouts and will be able to start from scratch and actually bring in a good coach. If CBG doesn't like it... then he can walk away. It's like being in a crappy relationship with a nice person. You don't want to hurt their feelings by dumping them. So you just make it so unbareable for them that they just decide to leave. It's horrible to say and hard to imagine us being in this place again. But it is what it is. We've gotta get back on a level playing ground. MBOB has to know CBG isn't the future of GT bball. If we keep resetting the buyout just so he can recruit easier... we'll do this until the end of time. I hope he can make the best out of these next few years. But I wouldn't let myself get fooled into reupping him if he happens to catch lightning in a bottle.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Now that the decision has been made... I see this as the best most viable option. By the time his 3 years are up, we'll be out from under all the buyouts and will be able to start from scratch and actually bring in a good coach. If CBG doesn't like it... then he can walk away. It's like being in a crappy relationship with a nice person. You don't want to hurt their feelings by dumping them. So you just make it so unbareable for them that they just decide to leave. It's horrible to say and hard to imagine us being in this place again. But it is what it is. We've gotta get back on a level playing ground. MBOB has to know CBG isn't the future of GT bball. If we keep resetting the buyout just so he can recruit easier... we'll do this until the end of time. I hope he can make the best out of these next few years. But I wouldn't let myself get fooled into reupping him if he happens to catch lightning in a bottle.

Yeah, looks like you and RR are proposing the 'it is what it is' protocol. Sadly it is probably the best alternative. Like you said, make BG well aware that he's not being extended and that his current contract is his last at GT.

Feel free to shop yourself as I'm sure there are places that'd love to have him. Best situation for both. It's clear there needs to be a divorce but no one wants to pay for it.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer

Kristen-Bell-Laughing-to-Crying.gif

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Why do I feel like GT fans are the "nice person" in your analogy?

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
But maybe he will start looking for more positive working environments. It seems that is really our only hope.
Yes. You are 100% correct. If we tie his hands and make his workplace environment intolerable. Maybe he will have another option pop up that would get him out of the toxic situation that GT Bball is about to be in. Really our only hope for a quick fix. If he waits it out... his resume will be horrendous. Won't have much fan support and won't be able to recruit. If we don't extend him... this is what will happen.