Confirmation BG Will Be Retained

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Ok folks, the announcement is in. We can do 1 of 2 things. Get behind the program (and by extension the coach) or not.

I am ready to double down and pull hard for the squad next year. Hope we see some improvement - and the recruiting season isn't finished yet. I have to believe there is going to be change in the air with this decision - so keeping positive and ready to look for and find the best!

This^^^

I had resigned myself to this a couple of weeks back.

Will pull for the team no matter who the coach is.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'll still root for the guys to win every game - I can't root against my alma mater - but I just have lost all faith in this program and the athletic administration.

I actually think the coaching staff is pretty solid. We are not likely to get much better given how low we are paying assts. But without better recruiting it simply won't matter and I don't see how this staff will be able to recruit through this.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Since I refused to get emotionally invested in this year's team, I guess I haven't lost anything nor do I have to concern myself with dates for next year's games.

This athletic dept. has to be one of the most financially irresponsible ones of the P5 schools.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Can we at least make sure that if we have to extend his contract for recruiting purposes that any buyout would be minimal, if at all? Very frustrating to have thought we had it very small only to find out later his last extension bumped it up to a price we couldn't afford!

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Oh well. I'm so depressed I could almost cry.

Here is my worst fear. Next year's team actually does win more (I think the odds are in favor of it), so we don't fire him after next season saying we are seeing progress and extend a cople of more years - but recruiting dries up and in 2 yrs the bottom completely falls off the truck.

I gave up my season tickets during the latter Hewitt years and I just don't know when I may get ones again.
We just went 3-15 and finished next to last in the ACC. Going 5-13 and finishing 12th would be an improvement. That's F'n sad...

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Bobinski has found himself a government job as an administrator, and has performed as such. Very sad. I thought GT was better than this. I was wrong, at least about our AD.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, this doesn't really do much for my opinion of Bobinski. I thought he would find a way to make this happen even if the money was tight. It really feels like we are throwing away a year of basketball and an important recruiting season. I will still root for our kids but I feel bad they aren't going to get the coaching they need to really succeed.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
As I noted about a month ago, I would not be surprised to see CBG given another year. He has an experienced team returning, 7 SR and JR as I recall, plus 3 Soph. And lost a number of OT games.
I have seen this happen before in all college sports. Call it a reluctance to fire. Then throw the GT finances into the mix.

Question: will he retain this staff intact with no changes?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
As I noted about a month ago, I would not be surprised to see CBG given another year. He has an experienced team returning, 7 SR and JR as I recall, plus 3 Soph. And lost a number of OT games.
I have seen this happen before in all college sports. Call it a reluctance to fire. Then throw the GT finances into the mix.

Question: will he retain this staff intact with no changes?
Wouldn't mind new blood covering Atlanta & in-state.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Couldn't have been handled any worse by MBob...terrible job.

He already did some screwed up things when negotiating with CPJ...now he has royally messed this one up.

...and to make it even worse he has pissed off one of our top donors in this process by asking him for money last week...then telling him twice that Gregory would be fired...now my friend says he will no longer give money while M-Bob is here.

As for the future of our program...this is the kiss of death. We will continue to be a the laughing stock of the ACC and next season is a huge recruiting year for our future...we have a bunch of scholarships to use and I have no doubt we will not end up with a strong class.

This is going to kill the program for the next several years.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Couldn't have been handled any worse by MBob...terrible job.

He already did some screwed up things when negotiating with CPJ...now he has royally messed this one up.

...and to make it even worse he has pissed off one of our top donors in this process by asking him for money last week...then telling him twice that Gregory would be fired...now my friend says he will no longer give money while M-Bob is here.

As for the future of our program...this is the kiss of death. We will continue to be a the laughing stock of the ACC and next season is a huge recruiting year for our future...we have a bunch of scholarships to use and I have no doubt we will not end up with a strong class.

This is going to kill the program for the next several years.

These are the things that are scary when it comes to the state of the program.

All we can do is hope for the best, but continue to expect the worst.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Can Homer Rice come back for a few more years like John Hart is doing for the Braves? Then he can select a successor after we are relevant in hoops again.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I agree with most. However, as someone else said, we can either abandon ship, or double down. I for one am going to try to rally my support for the program, at least for the players. I am going to try to give MBob the benefit of the doubt that he wanted to make a change, but just couldn't come up with a coaching replacement that would have been a clear upgrade for the money. I am going to assume he contacted guys like Prohm, White, and Underwood, but they all said "thanks, but not for that money." Given that, as I have said before, I would rather keep Gregory than hire another als0-ran like Chris Mooney or someone with little to no experience like Price. The best case here is that CBG can be a good custodian for a couple more years while we finally dig ourselves out of our financial trouble.

To me, the things that are far more troubling than this particular decision (which I can at least understand if it played out like above), are the way MBob handled the CBG extension and the way he apparently worked with the donors. That does not bode well for the future.

Here is to hoping that Gregory's staff has found their feet in the recruiting game and are ready to have a break-out class next year! Oh, and lots of this...
upload_2015-3-16_16-30-14.jpeg