Confirmation BG Will Be Retained

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Letting a coach just fester in an unwinnable situation, especially to the point of him walking, is going to make this a really hard job to sell. By this point the fanbase will be at best completely apathetic, or worse, vitriolic. The talent will be extremely poor, worse than it is, and the administration will look petty and cheap. What quality coach is going to want to come into an administration that let a coach be hung out to dry until his contract either expired or until the situation is so bad that the coach was basically forced to leave?

GTG768B

Jolly Good Fellow
Letting a coach just fester in an unwinnable situation, especially to the point of him walking, is going to make this a really hard job to sell. By this point the fanbase will be at best completely apathetic, or worse, vitriolic. The talent will be extremely poor, worse than it is, and the administration will look petty and cheap. What quality coach is going to want to come into an administration that let a coach be hung out to dry until his contract either expired or until the situation is so bad that the coach was basically forced to leave?

I really strongly doubt that this is the plan from Bobinski's end. Realistically, we were so close this past year; hopefully he can put it together next year.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I really strongly doubt that this is the plan from Bobinski's end. Realistically, we were so close this past year; hopefully he can put it together next year.

We weren't close, we play a style of basketball that keeps the game low scoring and let's the box score make it appear to be close game. We can rebound. That's literally all we do at an above average level and we just lost two of our top3 front court guys and our best player has to now come back from a broken foot. Remember Jason Morris? Yeah....

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
We weren't close, we play a style of basketball that keeps the game low scoring and let's the box score make it appear to be close game. We can rebound. That's literally all we do at an above average level and we just lost two of our top3 front court guys and our best player has to now come back from a broken foot. Remember Jason Morris? Yeah....

If MGH's recovery ends up like Jason Morris' we're screwed, but there's also a lot more people who get broken feet and don't have any lingering issues. I'm not expecting anything but a full recovery

franklinjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Even if we win 20 games next year, he hasn't done anything to get the program ready for the 2016-2017 season. When you rely so heavily on transfers, you are really just covering your recruiting deficiencies with a band-aid and creating a lot of pressure to deliver home runs later.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I will say I appreciate Gregory's attitude. He has a reputation as a grinder - so I do think he will go out and try his best every day. That may not be enough, but I appreciate that difference in attitude from Gregory compared to later Hewitt. It makes him alot easier to like and root for.

I still expect the outcome to not be great, but I feel he won't phone it in and I don't think he will turn on the fans or even insulate himself from them. Thanks for posting the article Dan.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Realistically we were 3-15 in conference. The only thing we were close to was the cellar.
We weren't close to it... We WERE it. There's absolutely no where else to go but up! I liked what the article above said. Gregory needed to come out and make some comments about the situation. He's been the typical coach speak guy for too long now. Time to get real with everybody. Including himself. I appreciated that. Maybe he will be able to turn it around and redeem himself. I don't think the probabilities of this happening are very high... but nonetheless... it could happen. We shall see what CBG and these players are made of next year. Hopefully it's not jello like it was last year.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Tech’s Bobinski grants Gregory one last chance

Quotes from MBob:
  • “I jumped on both sides of the fence”
  • “A lot of things didn’t allow him to get off to a fast start
  • Bobinski said he told Gregory that his patience will run out “the minute I believe we’re not making substantive progress.” What constitutes progress? “It’s not as much a number a clear sign … and a belief in the future.”
  • We had figured all that (financial stuff) out. That was not a driver, not a factor, not a decision-maker here.
  • He said he told Gregory, “Offense can’t be something we do between defensive possessions.” He said: “We can’t continue to be close.” He said of Tech: “The elements are in place. We have a great arena. This is a city that’s going to be attractive to a young man playing college basketball. There’s no reason not to have a successful college basketball program.”
  • “I don’t sit here in a conflicted state,” he said. “I know we’re going to get the best shot Brian has to offer.”
The big one is Bobinski stating that the financials weren't the reason for keeping Gregory. Obviously he's not gonna come out and say they would have fired him if they had the money so it's your choice whether to believe him or not

WOW ,just WOW!
There are so many parts of this that are SCARY!
"Money not a factor"--OMG ,is he saying that he keeping him PURELY on what we've seen .That being an good guy with a team that makes the grades but is TERRIBLE in winning bball games is fine.
"BG would gone-IF "he wasn't making substantial progress"---how is progress measured?--the number of CLOSE wins you have?,the number of ALMOST good players you get?,etc
"I know we are going to get the best that B has to offer"-meaning -he was NOT giving the best before? or the best we can expect is 3-15 in conf?
SCARY,real scary

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I recognize that the situation looks bleak, and I'm not dumb enough to be the dumb-arse to stand in front the "Brian Gregory Sucks Death Train". A blind man can see that he probably should have been fired after this season, but since the news has come out that he is being retained, no one (and I mean no one) on any forum or twitter is giving him a chance. Perhaps, I am just the eternal optimist when it comes to GT hoops, but stranger things have happened.

Yes, I realize that what I am saying is probably ludicrous, but there are a litany of things that "could" happen that would allow him to turn the tide. Like many, I don't think having a good season next year is out of the question, and if he is able to get lucky and land a couple of solid recruits next year, it "could" help change momentum.

Personally, I love the underdog role.. I hope BG does too.. :)

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
"Amazing how dumb a coach can look when players are missing open jumpers..." From Ken's article.
He forgot to add dunks and layups too.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
"Amazing how dumb a coach can look when players are missing open jumpers..." From Ken's article.
He forgot to add dunks and layups too.
If this is the problem... hire a shooting coach. It's like a swing coach in Golf. They see what you can't see and have the ability to fix it. Obviously all of our players couldn't possibly be this horrible at shooting. It is a part of the game too ya know.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
If this is the problem... hire a shooting coach. It's like a swing coach in Golf. They see what you can't see and have the ability to fix it. Obviously all of our players couldn't possibly be this horrible at shooting. It is a part of the game too ya know.
Mark Price?!?!?!? :eek:

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I will say I appreciate Gregory's attitude. He has a reputation as a grinder - so I do think he will go out and try his best every day. That may not be enough, but I appreciate that difference in attitude from Gregory compared to later Hewitt. It makes him alot easier to like and root for.

I still expect the outcome to not be great, but I feel he won't phone it in and I don't think he will turn on the fans or even insulate himself from them. Thanks for posting the article Dan.

+ 1.

I agree with these comments, and I think that BG really believes in himself that he turn things around. That is good because not a lot of others believe in him right now.

On the drive into work this morning, I was listening to 680 and they had Tom Izzo on since they're playing UGA. He was talking about how Mark Fox had weathered the storm and ended up with a good season, and that he was in the process of building a solid program. After a couple of questions, the conversation turned to BG. I know that he and BG are close, but putting that aside for a moment, I thought he gave a fair comment about the situation.

Few of the highlights I can remember:
  • He was very complimentary of BG and he mentioned how much of a part BG played in building up the Michigan State program in Izzo's early years.
  • He felt that BG knew the blueprint for building a solid program well.
  • Had no doubt that BG was an excellent coach and had what it took to turn things around.
  • He felt that Bobinski made a gutsy call in given him another year in spite of what most thought would happen.
  • Talked about the small margin for errors coaching in the ACC and how the addition of Big East schools made ACC a deep, deep league.
  • Mentioned that many people look at all the close losses as a reflection of poor coaching, but he offerred a different perspective.
  • That was that BG had coached them well them into position to win, but still young in some important areas needed to win those kinds of games.
Please keep in mind that this is me paraphrasing and not exact quotes. I really wish I could post the snippet because it was a great listen and included some very insightful comments on BG.

Generally a coach is little cautious into talking about other programs or coaches, but I thought he was rather candid.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I saw that article yesterday, not surprised for multiple reasons. First, compared to Hewitt, Gregory treats the UGA game as more important. Hewitt saw it as just another OOC game, Gregory does not.

Second, Gregory has strong Mich ST ties so should not be a surprise and he has had pretty much the same gameplan for UGA for 4 years and it has worked every year.

The local writers love UGA, but the numbers would not suggest it. UGA didn't beat a team that was ranked higher than it in either RPI or KenPom all year. UGA is in the mid-high 30's. Mich St is 23 in RPI and 17 in KenPom. The only NCAA team UGA beat was first four participant Ole Miss - who they beat twice. 2nd best team they beat was TX A&M who is in the NIT. Both have power ratings lower than UGA. Those are the only 2 teams with an RPI or KenPom rating better than 70 that they beat.

Will be interesting to see how UGA does Thursday. Izzo is pretty good in Tourney games.