Collins - Expectations and time to get things right?

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
With the way this staff is looking, I think it's not unreasonable for us to get to Stanford's level by year 4 or 5. Maybe faster since we don't have to share a division with Washington and Oregon.

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
WTH is up with these Tech fans wanting to run down the programs ability every time somebody gets excited about what’s going on? I don’t know exactly who Dan Wolken is but I believe he is a national guy saying we may be on the verge of recruiting top 15 classes and some dope named Eric who is supposed to be a Tech fan gets on there and says it’s not likely. Why in the world do our supposed fans do this? Let the hype run wild. It’s great for the program. I get so confused and frustrated by the amount of tech fans that think like this.

Because being hyped up about a program is great, but its not realistic to get a top 15 class. Sorry but its not. Why get out hopes up for no reason? It's easier that way.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
WTH is up with these Tech fans wanting to run down the programs ability every time somebody gets excited about what’s going on? I don’t know exactly who Dan Wolken is but I believe he is a national guy saying we may be on the verge of recruiting top 15 classes and some dope named Eric who is supposed to be a Tech fan gets on there and says it’s not likely. Why in the world do our supposed fans do this? Let the hype run wild. It’s great for the program. I get so confused and frustrated by the amount of tech fans that think like this.
We have people who negatively recruit our own program constantly. Smh

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Because being hyped up about a program is great, but its not realistic to get a top 15 class. Sorry but its not. Why get out hopes up for no reason? It's easier that way.

Why is it not realistic? Do you realize it’s been done before?

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer

Let me add that if you don’t want to get your hopes up don’t. But my goodness don’t run down the program on a national platform no less.

2ndgenjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
As it’s been since the 60’s, the win record will depend greatly on the QB play. He needs to find someone talented but more importantly one who inspires the rest of the team not to lose.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
In regards to Collins inheriting an "empty cupboard" and what the expectations should be. Going into next season, the average class rank of our 2nd through 5th year players (RS-Fr/So-RS-Sr) i.e. the 2015-2018 classes was 50th. The W-L results for the 11 teams closest to an average of a 50th for the comparable 2014-2017 classes for this year:

View attachment 4924

Obviously, that's an imperfect comparison; limited sample, we're transitioning to new systems, our players were recruited for the 3O (though their ranking was not necessarily adjusted for that), we play Clemson and uGA annually out of division... But, it's an indication of how teams with a similar talent level generally fare. 9 of 11 made a bowl. Pitt won and WSU tied for their division championship. Mostly right around .500.

GT's 2019 class looks to finish out in commensurate ranking; 50th+/-. So, for the next 2-3 years, I think a 5 win floor and a 8 win ceiling with an upward trend and recruiting improvement is a reasonable expectation. 9+ wins, an ACCCG appearance, or a COFH win would be exceptional. Missing multiple bowls or winning less than 5 would be disappointing. I'll be worried if the 2020 class isn't in the top 35.

I agree 2021 is the litmus year for CGC. Roster should have largely settled out. If CGC's recruiting is as strong as he's pitching, we should expect lots of RS-Fr/So contributors from the 2020 class. Schedule should be more favorable than 2020.
Great level headed analysis BC. Your posts are very hard to argue with. Love your floor targets. Always look forward to your work Thanks

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Yep. Fake it till you make it.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
We have people who negatively recruit our own program constantly. Smh

You know, I was thinking about Brent Key's reputation about negatively recruiting GT...then I thought about it some more. Did he do anything our own fans are known for doing themselves? Go check out the recruiting threads and some of the comments, check out some of the comments on Twitter and facebook. Too much "Yeah, but can recruit X handle the math and science? Does he have the grades?" "GT doesn't attract elite guys because our attendance sucks" "GT has no women" "Elite guys just want to play in the NFL they don't care about doing work".

I mean, other coaches don't need to negatively recruit against GT...all they need to do is pull up GTSwarm or other message boards. Our own fans are more than capable of negatively recruiting against GT for other schools.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
You know, I was thinking about Brent Key's reputation about negatively recruiting GT...then I thought about it some more. Did he do anything our own fans are known for doing themselves? Go check out the recruiting threads and some of the comments, check out some of the comments on Twitter and facebook. Too much "Yeah, but can recruit X handle the math and science? Does he have the grades?" "GT doesn't attract elite guys because our attendance sucks" "GT has no women" "Elite guys just want to play in the NFL they don't care about doing work".

I mean, other coaches don't need to negatively recruit against GT...all they need to do is pull up GTSwarm or other message boards. Our own fans are more than capable of negatively recruiting against GT for other schools.
Great point

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer

Amen!

jojatk

Helluva Engineer

Exactly!!!

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Wait, I just want to be sure I understand. We are going to accept a complete tear down and rebuild with the hope of getting to 8-10 wins? Simply not acceptable.

If we are going to accept mediocre to poor results over the short term (which is fine, and about which I will not complain), the payoff had better be a helluva lot better than eight wins. If Collins comes out next year and wins four games, he had better have an 11 win season coming in 2021.

Winning 9 games a year puts a Tech in the Top 25. Which I believe is the goal.