Collins - Expectations and time to get things right?

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Wait, I just want to be sure I understand. We are going to accept a complete tear down and rebuild with the hope of getting to 8-10 wins? Simply not acceptable.

If we are going to accept mediocre to poor results over the short term (which is fine, and about which I will not complain), the payoff had better be a helluva lot better than eight wins. If Collins comes out next year and wins four games, he had better have an 11 win season coming in 2021.

slugboy

Staff member
Does this team have as much talent as the one he left? I think there’s more talent here.

Should a coach use the players he has, or wait 2 or 3 years to recruit players to fit his system? I think you adapt and make the most of what you have. (I saw Dan Henning spend years trying to rebuild the Redskins in Atlanta. He wasted years. I’ve also seen coaches gradually transform a team, and that makes more sense)

Could this team win more than 6 games before going to Collins? If so, I wouldn’t want more than a one game drop off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we will know by this season what we have. Predicting wins and losses is always tricky. Injuries, schedule, weather, and running into a couple of unexpectedly hot (or cold) teams has a lot to do with it. I do think we'll know pretty quickly what kind of coaching staff we have. By November we should know if the OC can put a system in place to take advantage of the talent on hand, is the defense tackling better, are special teams executing, clock management, unforced errors such as ball security and stupid penalties, etc.. Things like that. We also should have a handle on first year recruiting by then. These are the things I'll be more interested in than the W/L record.

Animal02

Banned
It's all about recruiting.
If the classes are way better, there will be way more patience ( 5-7, 5-7, 7-5) or euphoria 6-6,6-6 in tough year, 8-4).

Recruiting is his promise.

He needs to show significant yearly progress after this initial excellent start.
Really? It is all about recruiting.
FSU Class rank
2015 #1
2016 #1
2017 #4
2018 #11

With two #1 recruiting classes becoming upperclassmen......since it is "all about recruiting" FSU should have been a top contender. this year
They were 7-6 last year and 5-7 this year.

georgytech

Georgia Tech Fan
Eternal optimist that I am I see no reason we shouldn't win 8 or 9 games next season . Duke, USF, Pitt, VT, Miami, NC State, Miami, The Citadel, UNC should all be wins losses to UGA (maybe),UVA ,Clemson.
We should go 9-3 in my opinion as I anticipated this is what CPJ would do as team has a lot of strengths, 6-6 or worse is not acceptable with all the new enthusiasm surrounding the program ...7-5 would be OK 8-4 is my lowest expectation.

Jacket Bracket

Jolly Good Fellow
I guess if I am telling you what I really expect for the first 3 years: 7-5, 5-7, 7-5. I will judge him based on how he compares to those numbers.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
2021 Season is key. 2019 is obviously too early and the 2020 schedule is brutal for anybody in D-1, but in 2021 we should know if TStan made the right choice, and more importantly if he has been able to get Admin buy in. Btw, CGC isn't getting a completely bare cupboard like Curry and Ross did.
Why is 2020 so brutal, are you guys say Notre Dame is overrated

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
2021 Season is key. 2019 is obviously too early and the 2020 schedule is brutal for anybody in D-1, but in 2021 we should know if TStan made the right choice, and more importantly if he has been able to get Admin buy in. Btw, CGC isn't getting a completely bare cupboard like Curry and Ross did.
Double post

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
triple post

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
You can recruit them, but whether they end up playing down from their potential or playing up above their potential is totally up to coaches. (through motivation, discipline, teaching fundamentals on and off the field, and strategy pre-game and during the game)

Recruiting will never be the "end all" of success.

BUT, without decent recruiting, the ceiling becomes much lower.

Last edited:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Status quo is he gets to try 5 coordinators to get it right
Here we go!
Really? It is all about recruiting.
FSU Class rank
2015 #1
2016 #1
2017 #4
2018 #11

With two #1 recruiting classes becoming upperclassmen......since it is "all about recruiting" FSU should have been a top contender. this year
They were 7-6 last year and 5-7 this year.
Ol buddy, It s up to u to avoid getting yourself triggered When u feel it , breathe.

The obvious intent and words u take quote " its all about recruiting " apply to the recruiting promises made by cgc.

The FSU hire u site is a thing from whichv legends can be made

The FSU coach came in saying he could keep fsu at or near the top and people believed him because of the recruiting classes u site. I will go talk to a friend who is friend of top fsu football donor to see what improvements Willie needs to save his job.

Specifically for gt

I think cgc adapts the o to what we have, but the defense will be the scheme which we will end up.

Don't you think RECRUITING top defensive players into an aggressive scheme will be easier than into a bend and slowly break at end of game defense.?

I think a mid level metric for cgc recruiting is 3- 4☆ defense recruits a year

Animal02

Banned
Here we go!

Ol buddy, It s up to u to avoid getting yourself triggered When u feel it , breathe.

The obvious intent and words u take quote " its all about recruiting " apply to the recruiting promises made by cgc.

The FSU hire u site is a thing from whichv legends can be made

The FSU coach came in saying he could keep fsu at or near the top and people believed him because of the recruiting classes u site. I will go talk to a friend who is friend of top fsu football donor to see what improvements Willie needs to save his job.

Specifically for gt

I think cgc adapts the o to what we have, but the defense will be the scheme which we will end up.

Don't you think RECRUITING top defensive players into an aggressive scheme will be easier than into a bend and slowly break at end of game defense.?

I think a mid level metric for cgc recruiting is 3- 4☆ defense recruits a year
I just see everyone hyping recruiting like it is the end all be all.
Will greater recruiting help.......only if the coaching is there.
I think the recruiting will follow increased wins.....not so much the reverse.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I think the initial sell to recruits is changing the GT mentality/brand in the form of academics are a good thing and also "waking up the sleeping giant" kind of stuff ... along with getting former players involved to back this up !