Collins - Expectations and time to get things right?

Jmonty71

Banned
Coach Collins is coming into a somewhat talent depleted team. We probably do not have the personnel, in place, to run his systems. I do not expect a very good first year. (could be wrong). But, the question is.

How long does Collins get to start making GT a 8-10 win team, each year? Can he do it, may even be a bigger question. As a fan base, I agree in giving the man a chance. But, exactly how long or patient should we be?

What expectations do you want to see? Be realistic.. I know beat Ugag and Clem and son... But, we aren't even near ready...

I'm curious to see other thoughts.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
2021 Season is key. 2019 is obviously too early and the 2020 schedule is brutal for anybody in D-1, but in 2021 we should know if TStan made the right choice, and more importantly if he has been able to get Admin buy in. Btw, CGC isn't getting a completely bare cupboard like Curry and Ross did.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
He was given an irregularly long 7-year contract for a reason. I anticipate 3 years to get our roster in a position that he is satisfied with personnel wise and talent wise. In the 2021 season you should expect an 8-10 season where our identity as a team is known. As for 2019 and 2020, I expect bowl games, especially since there has been a lot of turmoil in the Coastal recently (Fuente on the hot seat, Richt retiring, etc.). I also expect a top 40 recruiting class for 2020 and a top 30 recruiting class for 2021. For reference, a typical top 30 class is about 4-6 four star players and the rest three stars, which I think is easily obtainable under Collins.

Animal02

Banned
2021 Season is key. 2019 is obviously too early and the 2020 schedule is brutal for anybody in D-1, but in 2021 we should know if TStan made the right choice, and more importantly if he has been able to get Admin buy in. Btw, CGC isn't getting a completely bare cupboard like Curry and Ross did.
All three seasons are key......if by chance he craps the bed in '19 & '20 (I don't expect him to, but you never know) He would have to have a phenomenal year in 2021 to keep the job. He stays at or above .500 the first two years and shows improvement in year three.....he will be okay.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not sure we're necessarily depleted. CGC has said they will design an offense to fit who we have currently and then, I'm guessing tune it over the next few years to be the offense he wants. I'm really not expecting a huge drop off in performance just because it's probably not as hard as some might think to switch OUT of a CPJ system. The hard part was switching INTO it. I think CPJ left us with a strong program culturally and a decent amount of talent/potential talent to have a decent team this coming year. I'd say 6 or more losses in the regular season would be a failure and would cause me to start to lose faith in him.

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
My expectation for 2019 is a 5-7 floor and an 8-4 ceiling for the regular season. I think we'll see 6-6 or 7-5. We have the capacity to put points on the board with the players we have back on O, and I believe the defensive coaches we've brought in will get buy in from the guys on D and we'll produce a pretty solid D.

2020 is a gauntlet of a schedule. Any coach in the country will do well to do any better than 6-6 with that schedule. I expect a floor of 3-9 and a ceiling of 7-6, likely a 5-7 season unless we see some change in quality from some of those teams between now and then. I hope I'm wrong here, but it looks brutal. Clemson, UGA and ND look like an 0-3 stretch, meaning we'd have to go 6-3 with everyone else just to go 6-6. That's gonna be tough with so many other quality teams left on the schedule. UCF, Miami, VT, Syracuse, Duke, Pitt, UNC... that's 7 of our 9. Realistically, the floor could be worse than 3-9 if we have some injuries or things don't go well.

2021, as was stated before, is where i think we'll see things shift for the better. At least before 2020, CGC will have had 2 full cycles to recruit his own players into the program that fit what he wants to do.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
We aren't depleted. We have plenty of talent. I am willing to put up with a down year for transition though, considering the potentially large changes on both sides of the ball. 4-5 wins is the floor for me. Year two we should be back to 6-7 wins even with a tough schedule. Year three should when we can get to 8+ wins assuming Collins can get us there.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
He needs to be given enough time to recruit "his players" ... IMO, the first couple of years isn't about wins/losses but how we compete both on the field and on the sidelines.

Probably why TStan gave CGC a 7 year contract instead of the standard 5 year for a new coach. I don't think the roster is depleted, but I do think all the pieces he needs and transitioning positions like 13 RBs and run first QBs out of the system will take time. He also needs to find guys that fit his scheme defensively and offensively.

GT should make a bowl next season. That's my floor...making bowls isn't what it use to be.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It's all about recruiting.
If the classes are way better, there will be way more patience ( 5-7, 5-7, 7-5) or euphoria 6-6,6-6 in tough year, 8-4).

Recruiting is his promise.

He needs to show significant yearly progress from his excellent start.

Defense will be better (not hard to be after last season). Offense will be better than most people think. Patenaude isn't chicken liver. The guy has broken records at every stop, and his skill guys produce.

The interesting thing is what he'll do with roster on hand and a recruiting class largely recruited to the previous system. It'll take about 3 years to get their guys in and developed into the system, and they've lost a year due to doing the right thing and honoring commitments. That's not a negative, but that is a point of data that has to be acknowledged.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
While I think we will be able to compete at the same level we have for the last few years (.500ish) I think there are a lot of other indicators you can look at early on beyond W/L (the schedule gets tougher) to discern if Collins is making progress in his first two years...

— Is there an uptick in recruiting
— Are you seeing notable changes in The GT football/brand? are people talking about GT in a different light
—Are we getting more positive media coverage
—Is GT more present in our own city
—Can he sway a few big time transfers? And effectively sell his vision immediately
—is attendance/support up
—are there improvements to the in game experience for fans (I have a feeling he will have input here)
—Do D/ST see immediate improvements