Collins - Expectations and time to get things right?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't be so sure.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2018-09-11/colleges-most-represented-2018-nfl-rosters

According to the link above, Tech has 9 players in the NFL, while Temple has 14.
Also, here are the number of players drafted from each school in the last few drafts.

Year - Temple, GT
2018 - 2, 0
2017 - 3, 1 (Butker)
2016 - 3, 2

I suspect Tech has much greater depth than Temple, but it seems quite apparent that Temple has had higher top end talent than Tech does. Or at least Temple has done a better job of coaching up players to play at the highest level, since I believe we've had higher recruiting rankings than Temple.
Prepare for your number based point to be dismissed the statement =
" player in NFL cant be the only judge a program".

This year I hope we can get a few guys drafted verses "practice squad invites".

Also
The gt NFL are back end weighted from long ago = declining NFL quality?

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
Prepare for your number based point to be dismissed the statement =
" player in NFL cant be the only judge a program".

This year I hope we can get a few guys drafted verses "practice squad invites".

Also
The gt NFL are back end weighted from long ago = declining NFL quality?

I know this isn't what you're saying, but to the people who do respond with "NFL players is not the only way to judge a program", I agree. That's why my comment was simply a response to the claim that Coach Collins is moving from a team with less talent to one with more talent. And NFL draftees is a good way to judge talent, or at least, top level talent.

I don't understand why our NFL players being those drafted several years ago indicates that the quality of the NFL is declining (unless you're saying that's what others will say, in which case as well I don't understand that correlation).

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I, too, agree with most of this well-reasoned post, with one (perhaps minor) exception: I don't think CGC considers his hype to be "unrealistic". I really believe that HE believes that he will win at GT. Unrealistic hype will soon become stale; genuine realistic hype will not.
That was the irony in my post. Many of us made fun of Dabo because he was "unrealistic." He never thought he was and his optimism willed Clemson into a different consciousness about the program. I am willing to give "unrealistic" a try.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't be so sure.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2018-09-11/colleges-most-represented-2018-nfl-rosters

According to the link above, Tech has 9 players in the NFL, while Temple has 14.
Also, here are the number of players drafted from each school in the last few drafts.

Year - Temple, GT
2018 - 2, 0
2017 - 3, 1 (Butker)
2016 - 3, 2

I suspect Tech has much greater depth than Temple, but it seems quite apparent that Temple has had higher top end talent than Tech does. Or at least Temple has done a better job of coaching up players to play at the highest level, since I believe we've had higher recruiting rankings than Temple.

And this is the ultimate indictment of Paul Johnson.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Every coach since and including Bobby Ross, except dipstick that will not be named, either won the ACC or made the ACCCG within 5 years of taking over as HC:

So what's CGC's expectations? I put them in line with the rest of those coaches. Need to see us make an ACCCG or win it within 5 years. Given how open the Coastal is, could be a lot sooner.

BTW, you know what that also says? It says GT is a pretty darn good football program.

100% agreed.

We need to get our mind rite, tho, with these low expectations:

That task came with immediate pressure, as Houston president and chancellor Renu Khator said at a holiday party, shortly after Applewhite's hiring, that "winning is defined at the University of Houston as 10-2. ... We'll fire coaches at 8-4."
:D

I'm not sure we're necessarily depleted. CGC has said they will design an offense to fit who we have currently and then, I'm guessing tune it over the next few years to be the offense he wants. I'm really not expecting a huge drop off in performance just because it's probably not as hard as some might think to switch OUT of a CPJ system. The hard part was switching INTO it. I think CPJ left us with a strong program culturally and a decent amount of talent/potential talent to have a decent team this coming year. I'd say 6 or more losses in the regular season would be a failure and would cause me to start to lose faith in him.

Not being argumentative, but I strongly disagree with the bold comments above

Strong culture don't win FB games at the P5 level, strong, fast players do

Mind rite

Yep....would rather have a winning season, intergrity, and graduate players, than the win at all cost / NFL mindset of some of the posters here.

Honestly, all players we recruit have incredible resources available to them to get them to Graduation Day

I don't know you, but I'm willing to bet you and friends still talk about beating Nebraska in the Citrus Bowl and winning the UPI-Coaches MNC

I'm also willing to bet you and your friends never talk about, "integrity and graduation rates" as long as your favorite team is winning, only when they are losing

Wanting to win championships and send players to the NFL is about having GT FB be perceived in the best possible way to Recruits, not a win-at-all-costs mentality

Trust Coach G and support Coach G, the past guy is gone along with his standards for what he thought was acceptable

mind rite

Animal02

Banned
Honestly, all players we recruit have incredible resources available to them to get them to Graduation Day

I don't know you, but I'm willing to bet you and friends still talk about beating Nebraska in the Citrus Bowl and winning the UPI-Coaches MNC

I'm also willing to bet you and your friends never talk about, "integrity and graduation rates" as long as your favorite team is winning, only when they are losing

Wanting to win championships and send players to the NFL is about having GT FB be perceived in the best possible way to Recruits, not a win-at-all-costs mentality

Trust Coach G and support Coach G, the past guy is gone along with his standards for what he thought was acceptable

mind rite
You are wrong as usual:rolleyes:

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
We won 7 games last year. This team isn’t as bad as some of our “fans” think. Add to that, the ACC Coastal is a total mess. A losing season is unacceptable next year, even with new coaching staff and schemes. There are ten very winnable games next year. We should be in the 7/8 win ballpark.

So we should have no fall off despite a complete overhaul on both sides of the ball?

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Really? It is all about recruiting.
FSU Class rank
2015 #1
2016 #1
2017 #4
2018 #11

With two #1 recruiting classes becoming upperclassmen......since it is "all about recruiting" FSU should have been a top contender. this year
They were 7-6 last year and 5-7 this year.
Those recruiting rankings always get them in the preseason Top 25 though.