Collins - Expectations and time to get things right?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
As it’s been since the 60’s, the win record will depend greatly on the QB play. He needs to find someone talented but more importantly one who inspires the rest of the team not to lose.
2015 says hello.

Actually, I agree with you for the most part. But a great qb can only do so much. Two lousy lines can lose a whole pile of games and make Payton Manning look bad.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Perhaps this is redundant but here it goes. Tech is a different kind of place to try to recruit for. I think most of us get that. In the past, arguments on this site were often between those who were tired of Tech's low recruiting rankings and those who explained, with valid reasons, why expectations needed to be realistic.

Sometimes these arguments crystallized around Paul Johnson -those who saw him as somehow holding the program back in his recruiting efforts and those who pointed out his tireless efforts to reform the culture so that Tech had the kind of resources our rivals have when it comes to recruiting.

We don't have to re-fight that argument anymore. Instead we can run an experiment. Hire a coach with the kind of rah rah unrealistic hype that Dabo Sweeney first brought to Clemson. Have an AD who is finally willing to invest real money in the infrastructure, personnel and PR that a successful recruiting program needs. Last but not least, mix in the kind of inordinate fan optimism that Uga has exhibited for the last fifty years.

The worst that can happen is that we learn a few more data points on what it takes to recruit at a unique school like Tech and we go back to the drawing board and try another approach. But the other possibility is, well, breathtaking. I vote for a slightly quickened pulse rate for Tech fans.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Yep....went on for the last 11 years by so called "fans"
Not only by so-called "fans" but consider this...we have high $$$$$ donors who WITHHELD money from the program just because they didn't like the offence/coach for the last decade. Considering this fact, who actually did the most damage to the GT football program? I wish "fans" would stop griping at each other and maybe consider griping about that particular fact.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Every coach since and including Bobby Ross, except dipstick that will not be named, either won the ACC or made the ACCCG within 5 years of taking over as HC:

Ross: Won ACC in 1990 (Hired in 1987)
O'Leary: Tied for 1st in ACC in 1998 (Full time coach in 1995)
Gailey: ACCCG 2006 (Hired in 2002)
Johnson: Won ACC in 2009 (Hired in 2008)

So what's CGC's expectations? I put them in line with the rest of those coaches. Need to see us make an ACCCG or win it within 5 years. Given how open the Coastal is, could be a lot sooner.

BTW, you know what that also says? It says GT is a pretty darn good football program.

Animal02

Banned
Not only by so-called "fans" but consider this...we have high $$$$$ donors who WITHHELD money from the program just because they didn't like the offence/coach for the last decade. Considering this fact, who actually did the most damage to the GT football program? I wish "fans" would stop griping at each other and maybe consider griping about that particular fact.
They piss me off as well.....especially the ones that side in the AC leaving the lower East empty for most of the game.....but I know...noon games.

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
Does this team have as much talent as the one he left? I think there’s more talent here.

I wouldn't be so sure.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2018-09-11/colleges-most-represented-2018-nfl-rosters

According to the link above, Tech has 9 players in the NFL, while Temple has 14.
Also, here are the number of players drafted from each school in the last few drafts.

Year - Temple, GT
2018 - 2, 0
2017 - 3, 1 (Butker)
2016 - 3, 2

I suspect Tech has much greater depth than Temple, but it seems quite apparent that Temple has had higher top end talent than Tech does. Or at least Temple has done a better job of coaching up players to play at the highest level, since I believe we've had higher recruiting rankings than Temple.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Perhaps this is redundant but here it goes. Tech is a different kind of place to try to recruit for. I think most of us get that. In the past, arguments on this site were often between those who were tired of Tech's low recruiting rankings and those who explained, with valid reasons, why expectations needed to be realistic.

Sometimes these arguments crystallized around Paul Johnson -those who saw him as somehow holding the program back in his recruiting efforts and those who pointed out his tireless efforts to reform the culture so that Tech had the kind of resources our rivals have when it comes to recruiting.

We don't have to re-fight that argument anymore. Instead we can run an experiment. Hire a coach with the kind of rah rah unrealistic hype that Dabo Sweeney first brought to Clemson. Have an AD who is finally willing to invest real money in the infrastructure, personnel and PR that a successful recruiting program needs. Last but not least, mix in the kind of inordinate fan optimism that Uga has exhibited for the last fifty years.

The worst that can happen is that we learn a few more data points on what it takes to recruit at a unique school like Tech and we go back to the drawing board and try another approach. But the other possibility is, well, breathtaking. I vote for a slightly quickened pulse rate for Tech fans.
Best post of the thread (IMHO). Couldn't agree more with all of it.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer

I, too, agree with most of this well-reasoned post, with one (perhaps minor) exception: I don't think CGC considers his hype to be "unrealistic". I really believe that HE believes that he will win at GT. Unrealistic hype will soon become stale; genuine realistic hype will not.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I, too, agree with most of this well-reasoned post, with one (perhaps minor) exception: I don't think CGC considers his hype to be "unrealistic". I really believe that HE believes that he will win at GT. Unrealistic hype will soon become stale; genuine realistic hype will not.
If you say it you should believe it. I think he believes it.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Every coach since and including Bobby Ross, except dipstick that will not be named, either won the ACC or made the ACCCG within 5 years of taking over as HC:

Ross: Won ACC in 1990 (Hired in 1987)
O'Leary: Tied for 1st in ACC in 1998 (Full time coach in 1995)
Gailey: ACCCG 2006 (Hired in 2002)
Johnson: Won ACC in 2009 (Hired in 2008)

So what's CGC's expectations? I put them in line with the rest of those coaches. Need to see us make an ACCCG or win it within 5 years. Given how open the Coastal is, could be a lot sooner.

BTW, you know what that also says? It says GT is a pretty darn good football program.

Yep. And settling for an IIWII mentality is unacceptable.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
To the point of the OP: if you haven't read Tori McElhaney's column in the Athletic today, do so. I won't post it since it's behind a pay wall, but it's worthwhile reading.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
The hypocrisy among the anti CPJ crowd is hysterical.

There is no hypocrisy. The contrast couldn't be more glaring.

People like myself thought the program was capable of more than what CPJ provided over the last 4 years. People like myself are pro Georgia Tech. People like myself believe in the program more than the coach.

People like you on the other hand run down the program in order to prop up a coach. People like yourself are pro Paul Johnson. People like yourself believe in the coach more than the program.

When I was being negative it was directed towards a coach. When you are being negative it is directed towards the program.

Coaches come and go, but the program lasts forever.

Animal02

Banned
There is no hypocrisy. The contrast couldn't be more glaring.

People like myself thought the program was capable of more than what CPJ provided over the last 4 years. People like myself are pro Georgia Tech. People like myself believe in the program more than the coach.

People like you on the other hand run down the program in order to prop up a coach. People like yourself are pro Paul Johnson. People like yourself believe in the coach more than the program.

When I was being negative it was directed towards a coach. When you are being negative it is directed towards the program.

Coaches come and go, but the program lasts forever.
:rolleyes: