Collins - Expectations and time to get things right?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Personally, I would give Collins a minimum of 5 years to establish a baseline of what he can do.

Yes. Barring some sort of total train wreck, he should be given ample time because we aren't a "factory" and we are going through a major transition. Who knows? Maybe we can have a really good season next year. I won't count it out but I won't be counting on it. We should aim high, but we have to give him time.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Kirby went 8-5 lost to Vandy, Ole miss, SC, UF, GT and almost lost to Austin Peay or someone similar and signed the best class in history that year.

I think you can do that your first year or two, as the narrative is that you're playing with the last guy's players. After a couple of years, you have to win or the bloom starts to come off the rose. Kirby has turned that corner and now, barring some disaster, has a self-sustaining model. We have to get to that point as well.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Coach Collins is coming into a somewhat talent depleted team. We probably do not have the personnel, in place, to run his systems. I do not expect a very good first year. (could be wrong). But, the question is.

How long does Collins get to start making GT a 8-10 win team, each year? Can he do it, may even be a bigger question. As a fan base, I agree in giving the man a chance. But, exactly how long or patient should we be?

What expectations do you want to see? Be realistic.. I know beat Ugag and Clem and son... But, we aren't even near ready...

I'm curious to see other thoughts.

If true did we make a mistake? Should we have hired a coach who could plug and play better?

Just throwing some gas on the flame here :p

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Year three will be the acid test for me. CGC's first best recruits should be starting then.

But I think there will be some important tells from game one on. Do the defensive players know their assignments? Is the effort there? And do they wrap up when they tackle? On special teams, is our kick coverage better than the past? And on offense , is CGC working with the skill set of his roster? Your smart, long-lasting coaches will first excel at fitting their system to the players on hand, then they are good at bringing in the skills they need to fit their system best.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Forget winning on the field, what bar do you guys set for the real reason he was brought in... recruiting? What rank do we have to pull for you guys to be sassified?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Forget winning on the field, what bar do you guys set for the real reason he was brought in... recruiting? What rank do we have to pull for you guys to be sassified?

Rankings are based on who you are...not who you recruit or get committed.

On field results. Aaron Donald says “wtf u looking at?”

Edit: If CGC ever gets a top 20 class I will guarantee you it’s realky a top 5 class.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Just saying we can still have really good recruiting classes with a sub par record. Look at Tennessee
I understand your thinking and hope you are right at 66 I don't have as long as some. But teams like Alabama Tenn and uga always have top classes. Can we get some 4 or 5 star players? Maybe a few every year but if you keep hanging around .500 or below 2 or 3 years you better be able to coach up what you have or it will get harder. I liked CPJ but thought it was time for a change. Happy with CGC but not sure about all the others they may be great but I have no idea. If they are good than we will see them adopt their schemes to the players not Force the players they have to a system. Wait till you get the players you think before you go all out to the system you want to run.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Rankings are based on who you are...not who you recruit or get committed.

On field results. Aaron Donald says “wtf u looking at?”

Edit: If CGC ever gets a top 20 class I will guarantee you it’s realky a top 5 class.
You know that and I know that but a lot of guys have no clue, all they see is stars, all they care about is rank. I just hope we don't start chasing stars for the sake of stars with little to no regard for how they fit either the schemes we're playing or the school they must attend. Yes, our 4 and 5 stars will have to play school if they want to play foosball.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
You know that and I know that but a lot of guys have no clue, all they see is stars, all they care about is rank. I just hope we don't start chasing stars for the sake of stars with little to no regard for how they fit either the schemes we're playing or the school they must attend. Yes, our 4 and 5 stars will have to play school if they want to play foosball.
It would help if we just use all our scholarships each year.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
In regards to Collins inheriting an "empty cupboard" and what the expectations should be. Going into next season, the average class rank of our 2nd through 5th year players (RS-Fr/So-RS-Sr) i.e. the 2015-2018 classes was 50th. The W-L results for the 11 teams closest to an average of a 50th for the comparable 2014-2017 classes for this year:

upload_2019-1-3_14-44-26.png

Obviously, that's an imperfect comparison; limited sample, we're transitioning to new systems, our players were recruited for the 3O (though their ranking was not necessarily adjusted for that), we play Clemson and uGA annually out of division... But, it's an indication of how teams with a similar talent level generally fare. 9 of 11 made a bowl. Pitt won and WSU tied for their division championship. Mostly right around .500.

GT's 2019 class looks to finish out in commensurate ranking; 50th+/-. So, for the next 2-3 years, I think a 5 win floor and a 8 win ceiling with an upward trend and recruiting improvement is a reasonable expectation. 9+ wins, an ACCCG appearance, or a COFH win would be exceptional. Missing multiple bowls or winning less than 5 would be disappointing. I'll be worried if the 2020 class isn't in the top 35.

I agree 2021 is the litmus year for CGC. Roster should have largely settled out. If CGC's recruiting is as strong as he's pitching, we should expect lots of RS-Fr/So contributors from the 2020 class. Schedule should be more favorable than 2020.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
In regards to Collins inheriting an "empty cupboard" and what the expectations should be. Going into next season, the average class rank of our 2nd through 5th year players (RS-Fr/So-RS-Sr) i.e. the 2015-2018 classes was 50th. The W-L results for the 11 teams closest to an average of a 50th for the comparable 2014-2017 classes for this year:

View attachment 4924

Obviously, that's an imperfect comparison; limited sample, we're transitioning to new systems, our players were recruited for the 3O (though their ranking was not necessarily adjusted for that), we play Clemson and uGA annually out of division... But, it's an indication of how teams with a similar talent level generally fare. 9 of 11 made a bowl. Pitt won and WSU tied for their division championship. Mostly right around .500.

GT's 2019 class looks to finish out in commensurate ranking; 50th+/-. So, for the next 2-3 years, I think a 5 win floor and a 8 win ceiling with an upward trend and recruiting improvement is a reasonable expectation. 9+ wins, an ACCCG appearance, or a COFH win would be exceptional. Missing multiple bowls or winning less than 5 would be disappointing. I'll be worried if the 2020 class isn't in the top 35.

I agree 2021 is the litmus year for CGC. Roster should have largely settled out. If CGC's recruiting is as strong as he's pitching, we should expect lots of RS-Fr/So contributors from the 2020 class. Schedule should be more favorable than 2020.

The only that tells me is GT should have done what they needed to do to hire Mike Leach. :)