Coastal Chaos

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Coming up with our chances be like
ExcitableFabulousEmeraldtreeskink-small.gif

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
If Pitt loses all three of their games
I think this is very unlikely...but Pitt still has to lose two of three either way...which is less unlikely since they play VT and Miami.

In all honesty though, we needed Duke to beat Pitt for the best shot. It's going to be tough now

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
All GT can do is concentrate on beating Miami,then Virginia and then UGAG;) If GT accomplishes that it will be a fine season even if GT doesn't win the ACC Coastal Division:cigar:

this is true...one of the things that makes a good season imo is the trend line. IF we were to win out, this would have a 1989,2014 feel to it. I just enjoy ending strong. The year ('09?) we lost 3iar (including a bowl) to end the season left a sour taste to that year. IF we were to win out, the bowl result is of no consequence really but I would enjoy the fact that the kids and coaches were rewarded when a lot of the fan base (myself included tbh) were very skeptical in September. As CPJ has said, respect is earned and they have made a good showing after the rocky start so far. I am hopeful that we finish strong.Go Jackets!

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
this is true...one of the things that makes a good season imo is the trend line. IF we were to win out, this would have a 1989,2014 feel to it. I just enjoy ending strong. The year ('09?) we lost 3iar (including a bowl) to end the season left a sour taste to that year. IF we were to win out, the bowl result is of no consequence really but I would enjoy the fact that the kids and coaches were rewarded when a lot of the fan base (myself included tbh) were very skeptical in September. As CPJ has said, respect is earned and they have made a good showing after the rocky start so far. I am hopeful that we finish strong.Go Jackets!
If GT wins out i think they play Tennessee,Auburn or Texas A&M in the Music City Bowl:cool: If GT accomplishes this it will remind me of 1984 also:cigar:

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
What's tragic is that this should've been a year where we win the damn Coastal. It's the worst Coastal in memory. The normally-decent teams are terrible (Miami, CPI), Duke is avg. at best, and PITT and UVA are nothing special either. UNC continues to be irrelevant.

With a Sr. QB and the experience we returned on the OL and in the backfield, we should be winning the Coastal instead of talking about these miracle scenarios. We had a cupcake schedule in a crappy conference.
I agree with most of this except the fact that we have a cupcake schedule. Although VT and Miami are having down years they still have more talent than us and are still really good on at least on side of the ball. We also play UGA and Clemson who currently have a combined 1 loss. When it’s all said and done we will probably have played 9 teams who are bowl eligible. There many other schedules I’d rather have than ours.

Deleted member 2897

I agree with most of this except the fact that we have a cupcake schedule. Although VT and Miami are having down years they still have more talent than us and are still really good on at least on side of the ball. We also play UGA and Clemson who currently have a combined 1 loss. When it’s all said and done we will probably have played 9 teams who are bowl eligible. There many other schedules I’d rather have than ours.

I would also argue with the statement that the Coastal is full of terrible teams. That is not true by any objective analysis in my opinion.
Average of FEI/S&P+ Rankings:
Miami: 28
Duke: #31
Virginia: #51
Georgia Tech: #52
Pittsburgh: #61
Virginia Tech: #63

Now definitely I would say that's not great. But I think a more objective analysis is that we have a bunch of average teams. Nobody is great, but even last place North Carolina has been in almost every single game with 5 minutes left. And that last placed team is the only one who has beat the first place team. The other teams Pitt has lost to are all ranked with a combined record of 23-3.

6 of the 7 Coastal Division teams will probably go to a bowl game. I don't think that's terrible. I think that's average to maybe slightly above average.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I would also argue with the statement that the Coastal is full of terrible teams. That is not true by any objective analysis in my opinion.

Now definitely I would say that's not great. But I think a more objective analysis is that we have a bunch of average teams. Nobody is great, but even last place North Carolina has been in almost every single game with 5 minutes left. And that last placed team is the only one who has beat the first place team. The other teams Pitt has lost to are all ranked with a combined record of 23-3.

6 of the 7 Coastal Division teams will probably go to a bowl game. I don't think that's terrible. I think that's average to maybe slightly above average.
I’m just gonna go with the SEC answer, we are all so good we are just beating up on each other.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer

The ACC Coastal Division reminds me of the SEC West before Nick Satan went to Alabama:cigar:

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
For those who care, you can watch WF tonight to see how their backup QB does. Hopefully they win and take the momentum into the game against Pitt. I also like that they get a little extra rest before playing Pitt. Imo they need to run the ball to beat Pitt and that goes for VT and Miami as well.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
If you guys would direct all the mental energy put into this thread toward Elon Musk’s problems instead....there would be a hyperloop circling the globe and manned colonies on Mars.

Tesla would still be a joke....some things just aren’t worth pursuing.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

Stop using facts and logic damnit! Don’t you know only unsupported emotional venting is allowed???

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

Should use F+ which is how football outsiders actually combines the two metrics (not a big deal just an fyi).
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/fplus2018

Miami 27
Duke 30
UVA 51
GT 52
Pitt 58
VT 61

edit: quoted wrong post