Coastal Chaos

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Yea I think we need to come to the realization that with Pitts huge comeback against Duke a week ago, that the odds of them losing all 3 of their remaining games is close to 0. Which means that the odds of us making the ACCCG are also close to 0. However, it sure would be cool to finish tied for 1st, even if we don't win the tiebreakers. It will surely be a coulda woulda shoulda year, but unlike a lot of other teams who folded up camp when things went south early in the season, we did not.
Yea, yea! Another moral victory for us!

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Am I the only one who thinks we are the only team in the ACC coastal that can beat Clemson? If we run Oliver out there and can get 2 turnovers I think we have a shot. Just have to eat the clock up and hold them under 21. I think if we do that and blitz properly where you have a linebacker Or Dend dropping into coverage, we would have a hell of a shot. If anything we would cover the spread.

This defense has gotten better week to week, and our offense has improved. We are the only team in the coastal trending upwards that has a scheme to work. Pitt would get destroyed by Clemson. Probably likes of the fsu game haha

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Am I the only one who thinks we are the only team in the ACC coastal that can beat Clemson? If we run Oliver out there and can get 2 turnovers I think we have a shot. Just have to eat the clock up and hold them under 21. I think if we do that and blitz properly where you have a linebacker Or Dend dropping into coverage, we would have a hell of a shot. If anything we would cover the spread.

This defense has gotten better week to week, and our offense has improved. We are the only team in the coastal trending upwards that has a scheme to work. Pitt would get destroyed by Clemson. Probably likes of the fsu game haha

We have to beat them with ball control. The only teams to score more than us were A&M and Syracuse. And if you take away sacks and one 30 yard rushing loss we ran fro more yards than anyone else did on them. We also had several chunk plays too when we weren't shooting ourselves in the foot.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
We don't necessarily win that scenario you laid out. It would go to Sports Source Analytics team score.
No it wouldn’t, it would go to division winning percentage, that automatically would take Pitt out. Then we would have the head to head with VT and if the 4 teams tied we would still have the head to head with UVA aswell.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Disagree, I think VT can still beat Pitt. It all depends on if their offense shows up. VT should line up and just pound the ball, I think they can win that way.

The suspense and consequence is what makes CFB so much fun this time of year. At least we have a chance; would like it to be better. But as others have said, let's just win the next two.

Animal02

Banned
We don't necessarily win that scenario you laid out. It would go to Sports Source Analytics team score.
None of the scenarios would make it that far in the tiebreakers. In scenario #2,
It would move to #3
3. Head-to-head competition versus the team within the division with the best overall win-percentage (divisional and non-divisional), and proceeding though the division. Multiple ties within the division will be broken from first to last using the league’s tie-breaker policies.
In this case, you have Virginia and Duke tied at 4-4. UVA becomes the first to be compared because of their head to head over Duke. Both GT and Pitt beat UVA, so it moves to Duke. We lose out to Pitt.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Call me crazy but i think if we beat UM and UVA and somehow get in that we could give Clemson all they want in the ACC championship game, kind of like how we did against FSU in 2012. Clemson is good but not all-world good like Bama.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
Call me crazy but i think if we beat UM and UVA and somehow get in that we could give Clemson all they want in the ACC championship game, kind of like how we did against FSU in 2012. Clemson is good but not all-world good like Bama.
I think you're right. It would take our best performance of the year to beat them, but it is not outside of realm of possibilities. Both sides of the ball have improved since we played them last. It is also very hard for a team to another team twice in a season.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Without running the numbers.... ;)

I'd say our chances of beating Clemson in ACCCG are about the same as us making it to ACCCG.

...but I hold out hope, as long as it's still a mathematical possibility.

ACCCG chances? We're tossing a Hail Mary that will be airborne for 3 weeks.
EDIT: I hope it's airborne that long... & not a sack this weekend.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Most reasonable scenario for me is for VT and Miami to beat Pitt, although them losing to WF would be great (don’t see them losing all 3, but I do think all 3 teams are good enough to beat them) and then I think Miami beats VT and VT beats UVA. This would give us a 3 way tie that we win or even have VT beat Miami and UVA beat VT which would gives us a 4 way tie and we still win that.

I don't think we would win the 4 way tie. UVA would be 1-2 against the other three tied. VT would be 1-2 against the other three tied. GT would be 2-1 against the other three tied. Pitt would be 2-1 against the other three tied. UVA and VT would drop out for the record vs tied teams. That would leave GT and Pitt, which Pitt wins the head to head.

We need a three way tie with VT and Pitt. Pitt has to lose to VT and Miami to have the lower division record. That way GT, VT, Pitt are all 1-1 against tied teams. Pitt would have the lower divisional record and drop out. Then GT would beat VT on head to head.

If Pitt beats Miami or VT, then there is no way for GT to get in the championship game.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
We have to beat them with ball control. The only teams to score more than us were A&M and Syracuse. And if you take away sacks and one 30 yard rushing loss we ran fro more yards than anyone else did on them. We also had several chunk plays too when we weren't shooting ourselves in the foot.
We also didn't face their offense with Lawrence in full control. They are a much better team offensively now

Deleted member 2897

We also didn't face their offense with Lawrence in full control. They are a much better team offensively now

I was just about to say that. Their offense is at the top of the country. Their 4th string RB would be the highest rated recruit on our team. They are absolutely loaded. They have 5 WRs who might play in the NFL.

Our best chance is sadly if Lawrence rolls his ankle or something before that game LOL.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I think you're right. It would take our best performance of the year to beat them, but it is not outside of realm of possibilities. Both sides of the ball have improved since we played them last. It is also very hard for a team to another team twice in a season.

IMO, (IF) we win the next two games, we go into the UGAG game a totally different team than what faced Clemson the first go around.
Regardless of what happens in the cesspool, I'd like to see us get another shot at Clemson ...