Coastal Chaos

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I don't think we would win the 4 way tie. UVA would be 1-2 against the other three tied. VT would be 1-2 against the other three tied. GT would be 2-1 against the other three tied. Pitt would be 2-1 against the other three tied. UVA and VT would drop out for the record vs tied teams. That would leave GT and Pitt, which Pitt wins the head to head.

We need a three way tie with VT and Pitt. Pitt has to lose to VT and Miami to have the lower division record. That way GT, VT, Pitt are all 1-1 against tied teams. Pitt would have the lower divisional record and drop out. Then GT would beat VT on head to head.

If Pitt beats Miami or VT, then there is no way for GT to get in the championship game.
There’s to many scenarios lol I’m getting so confused let’s just have Pitt lose the next 3 then there is no issues lol. Although Pitt losing to Miami and VT and VT losing to Miami but beating UVA actually seems pretty reasonable.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
First time poster (long time lurker, lol). Call ME crazy. Boston College upsets Clemson on Saturday night. You not only heard it here first...this is the ONLY place you heard it.

Just kidding on calling you crazy. [emoji23]

Hey, stranger things have happened...Syracuse last year. Honestly, I’m pulling for Clemson the rest of the way because I want the ACC represented in the CFP (unless we get that long shot chance at a rematch).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Week 10 Diff PPDvPwr5 Rankings for Coastal (teams playing at least 2 Pwr5 games; I prefer at least 3 Pwr5):
GT ..... #24
UVA ...#32
Duke . #38
VPI .... #40
Miami #40
Pitt .... #45
UNC ...#54

So, if these relative rankings were predictive, we have a real shot at winning the coastal: beating both d'oh U and uva; Pitt losing to both vpi and d'oh U; and vpi losing to d'oh U or uva.

If these are reliable, shouldn’t we have beaten Pitt and Duke?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
First time poster (long time lurker, lol). Call ME crazy. Boston College upsets Clemson on Saturday night. You not only heard it here first...this is the ONLY place you heard it.
Why start your posting with a safe prediction!
I do love the BC hurry up 2 tight end offensive scheme!

Our o l tried one on one blocking against Clemson's all American d l proved to be a no go.

Throw in some passing and it could be close.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
There’s to many scenarios lol I’m getting so confused let’s just have Pitt lose the next 3 then there is no issues lol. Although Pitt losing to Miami and VT and VT losing to Miami but beating UVA actually seems pretty reasonable.

Looking through all of the scenarios for GT to make the championship game:

First GT must win against Miami and Virginia, Pitt must lose to VT and Miami, then these scenarios are possible:

1. Pitt lose all three of their games and VT lose to Miami and/or Virginia -- If VT wins all three games then GT is out.
2. Pitt lose to VT and Miami; VT beat Miami and Virginia -- If VT loses two games then GT and Pitt are in a tiebreaker that GT cannot win.(Either a two way or a three way with Pitt, GT, Virginia)

So:
If Pitt beats VT, then GT is out
If Pitt beats Miami, then GT is out
Unless Pitt loses all three of their games:
If VT beats Miami or loses to Virginia or Pitt, then GT is out

Pitt must lose all three games while VT loses one more, or (Pitt must lose to VT and Miami while VT loses to Miami and beats Virginia). I believe those are the only two scenarios in which GT can make the championship game. There cannot be a four loss tie because either Virginia, VT, or Pitt can only have three loses based on remaining schedule. They cannot all three get to four losses.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Saturday is going to be a great CFB day.

Starting at 3:30 with the Pitt/VT game. Then our game at 7 ........

No reason to think about it much, just let

First GT must win against Miami and Virginia, Pitt must lose to VT and Miami, then these scenarios are possible:

1. Pitt lose all three of their games and VT lose to Miami and/or Virginia -- If VT wins all three games then GT is out.
2. Pitt lose to VT and Miami; VT beat Miami and Virginia -- If VT loses two games then GT and Pitt are in a tiebreaker that GT cannot win.(Either a two way or a three way with Pitt, GT, Virginia)

So:

Pitt must lose all three games while VT loses one more, or (Pitt must lose to VT and Miami while VT loses to Miami and beats Virginia). I believe those are the only two scenarios in which GT can make the championship game. There cannot be a four loss tie because either Virginia, VT, or Pitt can only have three loses based on remaining schedule. They cannot all three get to four losses.

Thanks. I'm really looking forward to Saturday. Start at 3:30 with VT/Pitt and then our game. I'll root for VT for the first time in a while.

Sunday morning things will be somewhat more promising or all too clear. We just need to make a bowl game this year.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

So:

Ok, so there are two things I see that are wrong, but correct me if I’m wrong lol.

VT can lose to UVA while beating Miami and Pitt and we would be in if Pitt lost to VT and Miami.

The other is, Pitt can lose to VT and WF but beat Miami and we can still make it if VT loses to just one of Miami or UVA. That would cause 3 way tie were GT beat VT, VT beat Pitt, and Pitt beat GT we then would win that if I’m reading the rules right on who makes it in.

Also if Pitt loses to Miami and VT while VT loses to UVA but beats Miami and UVA beats Miami we could have a 4 way tie that we also win.

Imo the most realistic path is for VT to beat Pitt and either lose to UVA or Miami while Pitt losses to VT and Miami.

What's tragic is that this should've been a year where we win the damn Coastal. It's the worst Coastal in memory. The normally-decent teams are terrible (Miami, CPI), Duke is avg. at best, and PITT and UVA are nothing special either. UNC continues to be irrelevant.

With a Sr. QB and the experience we returned on the OL and in the backfield, we should be winning the Coastal instead of talking about these miracle scenarios. We had a cupcake schedule in a crappy conference.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
VT can lose to UVA while beating Miami and Pitt and we would be in if Pitt lost to VT and Miami.

If VT loses to UVA then either:

UVA, Pitt, GT are tied
UVA, Pitt, VT, and GT are tied

If a three way tie, Pitt will be 2-0 vs the other tied teams and win.
If a four way tie use the record vs tied teams. Pitt and GT will be 2-1 vs the other teams. VT(1-2) and UVA(1-2) will fall out. Go back to the head to head and GT loses.

Virginia only has two games remaining. If Virginia loses to us, and beats VT, they will have three losses. then either:

UVA, Pitt, GT are tied.
UVA, Pitt, VT, and GT are tied.

See above. The problem is that it won't get to divisional record because when teams drop out, the tie-breakers start over. Once UVA and VT drop out based on record vs tied teams, GT and Pitt revert to head to head record.

Also if Pitt loses to Miami and VT while VT loses to UVA but beats Miami and UVA beats Miami we could have a 4 way tie that we also win.

There is no way for GT to win a four way tie, as above. The two Virginia teams will drop out based on the record vs tied teams. Then it will be GT and Pitt head to head. At this point: Pitt has to lose all three, or there has to be a three way tie with VT for GT to win. UVA, Pitt, GT .. Pitt wins. UVA, VT, Pitt, GT ... Pitt wins.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The other is, Pitt can lose to VT and WF but beat Miami and we can still make it if VT loses to just one of Miami or UVA. That would cause 3 way tie were GT beat VT, VT beat Pitt, and Pitt beat GT we then would win that if I’m reading the rules right on who makes it in.

I guess I am tired and responded to the first scenario twice and didn't respond to this one. In this case it goes further:

Record vs tied team: Pitt, VT, and GT all are 1-1. Still tied.
Record vs division: Pitt, VT, and GT are all 4-2. Still tied.
Record vs next team in division with best overall conference record. That team will be one of Duke, Miami, Virginia. Pitt beat all three. VT or GT will fall out depending on which team it is. If VT falls out, then GT and Pitt will revert back to head to head. GT cannot win in this scenario.

If Pitt loses to Miami and VT, then Pitt drops out based on the division record. VT and GT 4-2, Pitt 3-3. Revert to head to head and GT beats VT.

Last edited:

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
If VT loses to UVA then either:

UVA, Pitt, GT are tied
UVA, Pitt, VT, and GT are tied

If a three way tie, Pitt will be 2-0 vs the other tied teams and win.
If a four way tie use the record vs tied teams. Pitt and GT will be 2-1 vs the other teams. VT(1-2) and UVA(1-2) will fall out. Go back to the head to head and GT loses.

Virginia only has two games remaining. If Virginia loses to us, and beats VT, they will have three losses. then either:

UVA, Pitt, GT are tied.
UVA, Pitt, VT, and GT are tied.

See above. The problem is that it won't get to divisional record because when teams drop out, the tie-breakers start over. Once UVA and VT drop out based on record vs tied teams, GT and Pitt revert to head to head record.

There is no way for GT to win a four way tie, as above. The two Virginia teams will drop out based on the record vs tied teams. Then it will be GT and Pitt head to head. At this point: Pitt has to lose all three, or there has to be a three way tie with VT for GT to win. UVA, Pitt, GT .. Pitt wins. UVA, VT, Pitt, GT ... Pitt wins.
Thank you, I actually remember someone else (or maybe you) earlier in the thread braking this down. Imo the most reasonable scenario would be for Pitt to lose to VT and Miami, and VT to lose to Miami and beat UVA. Although I do think all three teams Pitt has left can beat them. I think VT is better than Pitt on defense and that if they run the ball, Pitt won’t be able to stop them enough, same for WF and Miami.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Thank you, I actually remember someone else (or maybe you) earlier in the thread braking this down. Imo the most reasonable scenario would be for Pitt to lose to VT and Miami, and VT to lose to Miami and beat UVA. Although I do think all three teams Pitt has left can beat them. I think VT is better than Pitt on defense and that if they run the ball, Pitt won’t be able to stop them enough, same for WF and Miami.

If Pitt loses all three of their games, then GT only needs VT to lose one game(doesn't matter which). Oh, and of course GT win all of theirs.

I didn't factor Duke into the scenarios. If Duke wins out(meaning they beat Clemson) then GT can't win. I just don't see Duke beating Clemson at Clemson.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
If Pitt loses all three of their games, then GT only needs VT to lose one game(doesn't matter which). Oh, and of course GT win all of theirs.

I didn't factor Duke into the scenarios. If Duke wins out(meaning they beat Clemson) then GT can't win. I just don't see Duke beating Clemson at Clemson.
Yea I don’t see Duke beating Clemson either. There’s a shot for GT, maybe a long shot but it’s there at least. It either stays alive this week or ends this week.